Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times

Advertisements

In addition to the economics of adding a second floor to an existing first floor and dismantling and re-building a roof versus jacking up the original first floor and building a new first floor under it and not having to dismantle and build a roof, after mentioning this to someone offline, it was suggested that there is also the issue of whether the existing first floor can take the weight of a new second floor on top of it, and this may be why it is important to seek the advice of an architect prior to hiring a contractor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
In addition to the economics of adding a second floor to an existing first floor and dismantling and re-building a roof versus jacking up the original first floor and building a new first floor under it and not having to dismantle and build a roof, after mentioning this to someone offline, it was suggested that there is also the issue of whether the existing first floor can take the weight of a new second floor on top of it, and this may be why it is important to seek the advice of an architect prior to hiring a contractor.
Thats what MICROLAMS were built for. all contracting companies use an architect.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,019 times
To the OP, we have a two story cape with an addition. Due to structural insuffiency and sagging of the entire second floor and roof (the people who built our house used 2 x 6's to frame the second floor, and span 14 feet) we decided to tear off the second story---open to the sky, and reframe from the floor joists up...using 2 x 12's, and a truss roof. We had an engineer blueprint, and permits from the town, as required.

We also raised the downstairs' ceiling height to regular height, as it was a little low, which made it difficult to find replacement doors. We also put in a new kitchen, including tile, cabinets, an island, a desk nook, and a small bump out with a skylight (6 x 14), a 8 x 12 deck with an anderson patio door, a new downstairs bathroom with 6 foot jacuzzi tub, dual vanity, separate shower, (used a small bedroom and converted it...didn't change walls, just added plumbing), a new bathroom upstairs, dual vanity, tub/shower surround (but no master bathroom, which is making resale a b*tch) all anderson windows, and resided the top half of the house, and reroofed the addition to match. We added gutter guards, no air conditioning, but a whole house fan. We have six panel wood doors, stained golden oak, and a new oak staircase, We have all stained trim, except for in the downstairs bathroom.

We lived in the addition during this mess, which was a good six to eight months, with some items never finished by our contractor after we had paid him. There are five of us who live in the house. It was not easy stumbling over boxes and climbing down a ladder in the middle of the night to use the bathroom downstairs. It's also not fun to have people in your house all the time, with little privacy.

This cost us around $120,000 for the construction, but we paid for the extras, such as new lighting, carpets, painted ourselves, paid for some of the new copper pipe, paid the plumber extra, paid the son of the contractor extra for ceiling fans, etc., which probably all came to an extra $15,000.

We now have a nice solid house Like my Daddy always said, leave things better than you found them. Good luck to you with your house purchase. If you would like to see my house, it is listed on the MLS, as it is for sale, and I could give you the listing number just to see how it turned out.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 AM

330 posts, read 887,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
To the OP, we have a two story cape with an addition. Due to structural insuffiency and sagging of the entire second floor and roof (the people who built our house used 2 x 6's to frame the second floor, and span 14 feet) we decided to tear off the second story---open to the sky, and reframe from the floor joists up...using 2 x 12's, and a truss roof. We had an engineer blueprint, and permits from the town, as required.

We also raised the downstairs' ceiling height to regular height, as it was a little low, which made it difficult to find replacement doors. We also put in a new kitchen, including tile, cabinets, an island, a desk nook, and a small bump out with a skylight (6 x 14), a 8 x 12 deck with an anderson patio door, a new downstairs bathroom with 6 foot jacuzzi tub, dual vanity, separate shower, (used a small bedroom and converted it...didn't change walls, just added plumbing), a new bathroom upstairs, dual vanity, tub/shower surround (but no master bathroom, which is making resale a b*tch) all anderson windows, and resided the top half of the house, and reroofed the addition to match. We added gutter guards, no air conditioning, but a whole house fan. We have six panel wood doors, stained golden oak, and a new oak staircase, We have all stained trim, except for in the downstairs bathroom.

We lived in the addition during this mess, which was a good six to eight months, with some items never finished by our contractor after we had paid him. There are five of us who live in the house. It was not easy stumbling over boxes and climbing down a ladder in the middle of the night to use the bathroom downstairs. It's also not fun to have people in your house all the time, with little privacy.

This cost us around $120,000 for the construction, but we paid for the extras, such as new lighting, carpets, painted ourselves, paid for some of the new copper pipe, paid the plumber extra, paid the son of the contractor extra for ceiling fans, etc., which probably all came to an extra $15,000.

We now have a nice solid house Like my Daddy always said, leave things better than you found them. Good luck to you with your house purchase. If you would like to see my house, it is listed on the MLS, as it is for sale, and I could give you the listing number just to see how it turned out.
I think this is a lot of work for the money ... then I noticed the location is hudson valley. Things will most likely be much more expensive in long island for regional prices.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 AM

17 posts, read 380,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
I think this is a lot of work for the money ... then I noticed the location is hudson valley. Things will most likely be much more expensive in long island for regional prices.
I was thinking that too. I got excited when I saw how cheap it was, but then looked at the location.

All of this information is really helpful though, because it gives me an idea of the experience during construction.

Keep 'em coming!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:58 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,106 times
keep in mind that building material has come down in price so it wont be the same as a house built within the past couple of years.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 41,974 times
A good dormer, including blueprints will run 90k up to 150k, it depends on the square footage and materials.

Look at their work, custom jobs. Brookline Builders - Home

Old 06-09-2010, 06:26 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,523 times
I had a friend with a ranch on a crawl space below it. The foundation was shot and needed to be replaced anyway. So she had it jacked up about 4 feet (the crawl was about 4 feet high already, replaced the foundation at the same level as before, left the house up high and and framed out a lower level and turned it into a bi-level. Left the rooms upstairs the same except for sacrificing a tiny bedroom which became the stairs to the lower level. Added a family room, bedroom and full bath in the "new" lower level. Came out nice for a tight budget job.

I am actually surprised this doesn't happen more around here. There are thousands of ranches on crawl spaces that could be expanded this way.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:30 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,497 times
I Dunno....wouldn't it make more sense to keep looking for a house that you won't have to worry about all this nonsense?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 30,862 times
You could remove the basement and have it placed on top of the first floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island