Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
What does that mean?

Cash is king.

I wish they would just stick to $$.
I think it means prices haven't fallen that drastically but the number of houses that are actually selling has dropped. I've seen this in my own town - prices not down too dramamtically, especially at the lower price range, but the overall inventory seems to be stagnating, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:47 AM

240 posts, read 237,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think it means prices haven't fallen that drastically but the number of houses that are actually selling has dropped. I've seen this in my own town - prices not down too dramamtically, especially at the lower price range, but the overall inventory seems to be stagnating, KWIM?
In order for people in these higher end villages/ hamlets to sell, they must lower their prices accordingly. Otherwise their house will sit on the market like many others.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 PM

95 posts, read 206,822 times
I saw this the day it was released. I'm looking forward to the Q2 report which is due in a couple weeks. Should have lots of insight in it. I've seen prices fall enormously in just the last two months as properties linger on the market, hopefully this data makes it into the report.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM

335 posts, read 935,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Fighter View Post
Check out this PDF showing interesting trends:

http://www.millersamuel.com/reports/...ts/LMO1Q09.pdf

It will be interesting to see how this years Q2 compares to last years. This years Q1 is definitely worse than last years.
This report was released months ago. Q2 should be released by 3rd week of July.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:17 AM

330 posts, read 888,008 times
Another forecast of price declines into 2011

"The 15 areas with the highest probability of lower prices in 2011 each have a 99 percent chance, PMI said. They include Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville in Florida; Riverside, Los Angeles, Santa Ana, Sacramento and San Diego in California; Las Vegas; Phoenix; Providence, Rhode Island; and Detroit.
Edison and Newark in New Jersey have a 97 percent and 96 percent chance, respectively, and Nassau, New York, has a 92 percent chance. New York City showed an 88 percent chance of lower prices, according to PMI.

“The New York area has gone from a moderate level to an elevated level because of the big hit from the financial crisis,” Henry said."

U.S. Home Prices to Fall Through 2011’s First Quarter, PMI Says - Bloomberg.com

Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmondays View Post
This report was released months ago. Q2 should be released by 3rd week of July.
It's the first time I've seen it around... I'll look out for the next one in a couple of weeks, thanks!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
Another forecast of price declines into 2011

"The 15 areas with the highest probability of lower prices in 2011 each have a 99 percent chance, PMI said. They include Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville in Florida; Riverside, Los Angeles, Santa Ana, Sacramento and San Diego in California; Las Vegas; Phoenix; Providence, Rhode Island; and Detroit.
Edison and Newark in New Jersey have a 97 percent and 96 percent chance, respectively, and Nassau, New York, has a 92 percent chance. New York City showed an 88 percent chance of lower prices, according to PMI.

“The New York area has gone from a moderate level to an elevated level because of the big hit from the financial crisis,” Henry said."

U.S. Home Prices to Fall Through 2011’s First Quarter, PMI Says - Bloomberg.com
Oh I wouldn't believe Bloomberg. Those folks just like to say home prices will fall because they can't afford a cape in Massapequa, so they say home prices will fall in order to siphon equity out of my home!!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 PM

335 posts, read 935,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Fighter View Post
It's the first time I've seen it around... I'll look out for the next one in a couple of weeks, thanks!
Keep an eye on Prudential Elliman's website for "Market Reports"...they advertise them on the homepage.

The key statistic I always look at is "Discount off of Last List Price".....that really lets you know what is happening in the marketplace.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:36 AM

95 posts, read 206,822 times
From the Wall St. Journal & mortgage insurer PMI Group:

Expect More Home Price Declines Almost Everywhere - Developments - WSJ

Report referenced within:
ERET 2nd Quarter 2009 (http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/e1e7bb7d#/e1e7bb7d/1 - broken link)

Probability of lower prices in two years for Nassau and Suffolk counties is 92%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island