Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 11:55 PM

96 posts, read 433,527 times

Advertisements

We recently had an offer on our home and then a home inspection. After hearing the inspector tell his client that there was moisture in our kitchen ceiling we later found ten nail hole size holes in our ceiling in five different area's. he then informed the client that the attic was dry with no signs of any leaks or light coming through. In our basement he removed the straps holding our dryer vent hose and gouged out six or seven inch pieces of wood making a real mess(looking for termites)I guess. Is this common??
The people passed on the house and were so mad that they paid $600. they would not tell us anything that the inspector told them. We called the inspector and he said he could not legally inform us of anything in the report.
I was really mad about the holes in the ceiling that needed to be spackled and repainted. there were no water stains on the ceiling and any moisture had to do with 21 days of rain in june, Im sure the hole house had very high humidity.
Next time we plan on following the guy around. as if there is anything wrong, we deserve to know also. We allowed the couple, the inlaws and there agents into our home for four hours and weren't given the courtesy of being informed of the reason they were bailing or given the opportunity to fix whatever needed fixing, if anything. anyone have any similar experiences???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:53 AM

517 posts, read 2,484,655 times
As a buyer, I know I felt uncomfortable that the sellers kept asking us questions during the inspection like, "Why is he taking so long?" It might alienate buyers to follow them around during the inspection. You might be better off, having your own inspector come in for your own piece of mind. Then if there is anything wrong, you can act accordingly. Of course, maybe you don't want to shell out the money for the inspection, I can understand that. I am surprised that you aren't allowed to see the inspection report since that is the reason they are backing out. What did your lawyer say about that?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,768 times
A reputable inspector will NEVER do anything to alter or damage a house and in fact their reports usually contain a disclaimer that certain things could not be verified because of being "inaccessible", i.e. behind a wall or ceiling.

However, he is correct that you are not entitled to a copy of the report unless the buyer (who, having paid for it, "owns" it) chooses to give you a copy of all or part of it. Perhaps your realtor can ask their realtor if they would be willing to do that, either for free or for a small amount of money "in consideration of their cooperation", say $25 or $50? They may jump at the chance to get even a little bit of their money back.

Although to be honest it sounds as if this guy is a real hacker and thus I would take anything in his report as possibly suspect.

Normally your realtor should be on the premises during a potential buyer's inspection if you yourself cannot be. The buyer is usually there also, and also the buyer's agent often comes as well.

By the way, there is a simple and NON-INVASIVE way to reliably test for moisture... by use of a Tramex meter. If you are concerned about a specific area you can hire an inspector yourself to check for it. A knowledgable buyer will tell his/her inspector to include a Tramex examination in his inspection, by the way; I always do.

https://tramexltd.com

Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
Home sellers are not entitled to a copy of the inspection report. Neither are their agents.

As for the damage, what you experienced is highly unusual. Usually, inspectors do no damage whatsoever. I guess you could sue the inspection company, but I'm not sure that it would be worth it.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:01 PM

Default 2nd inspection turned up nothing

A WEEK LATER WE GOT ANOTHER OFFER AND THE NEXT INSPECTION WENT WELL WITH ONLY A FEW MINOR ISSUES AND THE INSPECTOR DID NO DAMAGE, AND NO, I DIDN'T FOLLOW HIM AROUND.(BUT I WAS TEMPTED)

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
I don't believe it is prevelant in the industry, but I have always suspected that some inspectors trash the home in their report so that they can get more business from the buyer.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:16 PM

I think your right. When the people passed they said there were three major issues but wouldn't tell us what they were. The second inspection had a few minor issues which would have cost less than 2k to fix proffessionally and less than 500 to diy. We agreeed to 2k towards closing.
Its kinda funny, but in our lawyers office we found the first inspectors cards and flyer. It's a shame the people wasted $600 and passed on a very nice house. We sold in a little over a month with 14 offers but we waited for close to full price as we new it was priced right.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
When we bought our home, our inspector labled certain areas as inaccesable in the report because he couldn't get into walls and do any damage to the home.

Inspectors should not damage the home. If the client needs futher info about what is behind walls, they need to go through the lawyer and ask the seller to open up certain areas.

I'm not a real estate expert, but I have never heard of an inspector doing damage to a home.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,615 times
The inspector for my buyers knocked down a gutter and a leader off my house. I'd say that was damage. And I followed him around for part of his inspection, but I didn't go up on the roof. As we drove away that day, I saw the damage. IMHO, there's probably minor damage done by these guys on a regular basis.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:18 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,915 times
sometimes inspectors will cause damage in order to get to certain spots in or on a home. if they see a very wet area, they have to "open" up part of a wall to see if mold is growing or termite damage. its part of thier job, unfortunetly.

the inspector missed mold and termites around my home and property but its the homwowners fault for having so much **** cluttered in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island