Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:38 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Good info, thanks. Occasional trip to NYC is one of the best things about the area! Took my 10-year old niece to FAO and the Museum of Natural History... she loved it.

Oh, In-and-out isn't a franchise... they are all owned and operated by one company :-(
My pleasure

We're in the City all the time on the weekends (Bway concerts etc).

Now Im jonesin' for and In and Out burger.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM

270 posts, read 969,409 times
Quote:
I see you are in East Northport area. I grew up there. Is there an express train or something? It's usually an hour plus on LIRR and it's only about 30 miles. It would seem almost faster to drive into a closer-in train station?
I've been commuting from the Northport LIRR station into the City for the last 5 years. The closest thing to an express train still makes 2 stops (Greenlawn, Jamaica).

The fastest train is just over an hour long from Northport to Penn, the slowest just over an hour and fifteen.

There are more trains out of Huntington since they run diesel engines up to that point and electric from there to Port Jeff, but I like the convenience of the Northport train station.

Since I'm in IT, I actually can get quite a bit of work done on my laptop while on the train - so it's all good. It definitely beats driving.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post

Since I'm in IT, I actually can get quite a bit of work done on my laptop while on the train - so it's all good. It definitely beats driving.
So does that mean you are spending less than 8 hours in the office? Or are you commuting 2 and working 8+? If I could get in at 7 or 8 and leave around 3 it would be no problem, I would definitely work on the train. But if I am going to spend 3 hours on the trains every day....

Old 07-13-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
So does that mean you are spending less than 8 hours in the office? Or are you commuting 2 and working 8+? If I could get in at 7 or 8 and leave around 3 it would be no problem, I would definitely work on the train. But if I am going to spend 3 hours on the trains every day....
Wow Northport is slow.

You can get 1:15 from Ronkonkoma.

Crooks

Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Wow Northport is slow.

You can get 1:15 from Ronkonkoma.

Crooks
It's ridiculous, it is like 10 stops. I think I would drive 30 minutes to wherever and take the train from there... maybe Hicksville?

I don't mind the Northport / Huntington area but my wife doesn't like it so much.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:55 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
I would guess what I bolded. Around here they generally don't let you count commuting time as working time. You Californians have it more relaxed than us. My husband's friend from Cali called him up when we had the last transit strike and was blown away by people WALKING MILES AND MILES and over bridges to work. He said nobody in Cali would do that.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
It's ridiculous, it is like 10 stops. I think I would drive 30 minutes to wherever and take the train from there... maybe Hicksville?
I don't mind the Northport / Huntington area but my wife doesn't like it so much.
It's not that easy since each RR station parking lot is subject to the rules of it's municipality and they are all different. For Hicksville, you would need a Town of Oyster Bay resident oarking sticker OR have to use the more expensive (and sometimes not available) pay as you go meters.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's not that easy since each RR station parking lot is subject to the rules of it's municipality and they are all different. For Hicksville, you would need a Town of Oyster Bay resident oarking sticker OR have to use the more expensive (and sometimes not available) pay as you go meters.
Ronkonkoma is fairly easy.
Plenty of express svc.
704a gets in at 819
719a gets in at 828.

Ample free parking.

My only beef is that they shouldve electrified to 112

Crooks

Old 07-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I would guess what I bolded. Around here they generally don't let you count commuting time as working time.
No we don't get to count commute as work time here either, (the laid-back thing is mostly history these days) although most of us get some sort of flex-time to deal with traffic.

Oh and we don't call it "Cali" either ;-)

Old 07-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ronkonkoma is fairly easy.
Plenty of express svc.
704a gets in at 819
719a gets in at 828.

Ample free parking.

My only beef is that they shouldve electrified to 112

Crooks
That's still a long ride, + subways + drive to Ronk from wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island