Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:16 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Wow, now that is something that I (if I were one of his neighbors) would definitely check out with the Town to see if it's "legal" (meaning that he has a permit for that height of a fence in the front yard as well as the back.)
Oh, I'm sure it's not legal - but I'm also just as sure he doesn't give a poop. He just builds and does whatever he wants whenever he wants to do it. Since I live alone and really don't need too much of a hassle from him or his sons, I usually just ignore it to the best of my ability. So unless it's on my property, I really don't do anything about it. It's the attitude the entire street has taken with him.

I'm hoping that Monday is a nice day. Figure I'll get some stuff done around the house. Think I may make another garden in the cottage style he doesn't like all along the front of my property so he has to drive past the entire thing to get to his house. I'll have to move the plants I thin out that are going over his fence somewhere, right? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I would have moved.
I would have put the place up for sale and sold to shoddiest people I could find. Outlaw bikers, gang-bangers, drug dealers, white trash motorheads, lawyers, soccer houligans etc...
Here is a good one on that note. One of my sisters owned two legal 2 families that were next door to one another. They screened all their tenants as carefully as possible. They had a new tenant who was a single black professional female. Very nice woman; good credit report, etc. This was on a block that was all white. The neighbor across the street called my sister and complained about the woman being black and made some threats as to what she might do to my sister's houses for renting to a black person. My sister called her a you-know-what and ignored her. Fast forward a couple of years and my sister and husband decide to move out of state and liquidate all their real estate holdings in NY. They find a buyer for both of the two-family houses and the buyer is a doozy. It is a non-profit group that wants to turn these houses into group homes for mentally ill and chemically addicted adults! (My sister emailed me the website for this place and the tenants didn't sound like anything I'd want to live across the street from.) My sister and her husband laughed all the way to the bank.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Oh, I'm sure it's not legal - but I'm also just as sure he doesn't give a poop. He just builds and does whatever he wants whenever he wants to do it. Since I live alone and really don't need too much of a hassle from him or his sons, I usually just ignore it to the best of my ability. So unless it's on my property, I really don't do anything about it. It's the attitude the entire street has taken with him.

I'm hoping that Monday is a nice day. Figure I'll get some stuff done around the house. Think I may make another garden in the cottage style he doesn't like all along the front of my property so he has to drive past the entire thing to get to his house. I'll have to move the plants I thin out that are going over his fence somewhere, right? LOL!
I don't blame you for not wanting to get into it with the neighbor.

As per this thread, it looks like you will have a very big guy hanging out there too, just in case.

Good luck Monday.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:28 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,552 times
I will tell you this much: if he loves to build, the town loves to tax! I, as a builder, want to so many crazy things to my exterior of my house but most of it is taxable by town code. if i want to build an exterior shed, overhang or porch, its all taxable and not fun to pay for. and especially when theres no permits filed prior to construction, most of it has to be taken down.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 PM

130 posts, read 535,949 times
Hotkarl, if I hadn't loved my house as much as I did, I would have! The thought definitely was discussed. AND, to boot, she owned my house. I did not buy from her, she sold to another owner who then died and we bought it as an estate sale. But through the years, before this even happened, as now we have nothing to do with her, she has complained if we trimmed bushes (she would say I planted that for the birth of my son, or it was an anniversary gift, etc.) that were not to her liking. I was so upset when the whole incident with the fence happened I told my husband to cut a tree down that she loved that was planted on our property for her grandkids. Yes, I cut my nose off to spite my face, as I loved this tree as well, but I was so furious with her, I just wanted to hurt her and then let it sit out by the curb for a week until it was picked up! I heard from another neighbor that it got the response I was looking for, LOL............but in the end, I still miss the tree, ha ha, only she will never know that!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't blame you for not wanting to get into it with the neighbor.

As per this thread, it looks like you will have a very big guy hanging out there too, just in case.

Good luck Monday.
Thanks.

I'm thinking that just being there will be enough. He'll yell and scream at the fence guys (because he treats all contractors and workers like dog doo), I'll be nice to them and they'll stay within the rules - which if they are professionals - they will know.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
When I had neighbor problems at my old house, I just used to sit out on the porch with my shotgun and a sixpack. I'd sport a real crazed look in my eyes the entire time. Just sittin' there...staring into space...polishing the barrel of my gun...
Works every time.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
When I had neighbor problems at my old house, I just used to sit out on the porch with my shotgun and a sixpack. I'd sport a real crazed look in my eyes the entire time. Just sittin' there...staring into space...polishing the barrel of my gun...
Works every time.
Hmmm. Not much of a beer drinker.... Do you think I can substitute a bottle of Jack instead? Or would that ruin the effect?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Jack works just fine, but gives more of a redneck image, as opposed to a LI white trash image with the beer. I would say, either one would work well, although I don't think a bottle of wine would work.
You could also try buying a 1979 Camaro, remove the exhaust system, lift up the hood and just rev the engine non-stop with the throttle cable, just give the illusion that you are actually trying to diagnose some sort of engine problem.
This works best early morning, dinner time, or after 10pm...

Old 07-16-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Jack works just fine, but gives more of a redneck image, as opposed to a LI white trash image with the beer. I would say, either one would work well, although I don't think a bottle of wine would work.
You could also try buying a 1979 Camaro, remove the exhaust system, lift up the hood and just rev the engine non-stop with the throttle cable, just give the illusion that you are actually trying to diagnose some sort of engine problem.
This works best early morning, dinner time, or after 10pm...

That's fine, I've always thought of myself as more of a redneck than as LI white trash. LOL!

The Camaro probably won't drown out the sound of his son's Harleys and the boat that the run at odd hours. I hate loud pipes. Loud pipes do not save lives, they just annoy your neighbors!

However, I do use my car as a stereo and listen to Toby Keith, Gretchen Wilson or Kid Rock while working outside. Can that take the place of the Camaro? It sure is cheaper and for some reason Country music tends to annoy LI'ers that don't like it.

PS - I do this in restaurants too - instead of this, can I have that? LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island