Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 AM

874 posts, read 2,875,214 times

Advertisements

Or you can forgo the beginning and just have the shotgun pump sound. That sound in itself could be enough to make someone leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:18 AM

200 posts, read 618,548 times
I guess the bottom line is, the more protection you have whether it's a dog or an alarm or closed circuit TV, the better off you are. I love dogs,
and I would hate to see a dog being hurt by a burglar, that's one reason
I would rather have the first line of defense to be an alarm rather than a wonderful dog.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:18 AM

270 posts, read 969,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
Or you can forgo the beginning and just have the shotgun pump sound. That sound in itself could be enough to make someone leave.
True - but I figured it would be fun to add some theatrical flair to it!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:12 PM

64 posts, read 253,280 times
I have an alarm system, a shotgun I know how to use and a dog. Hopefully none will ever be needed. I do know that when my parent's building in NYC was robbed all the apartments around them got hit, but not theirs - why? Because they had a dog. A cocker spaniel. Not big, but certainly noisy. The little devils bark their furry heads off and that would have let everyone know something was wrong. The investigators said that burglars want to get in and out quietly. They don't want a barking dog bringing any notice to them. And, they certainly weren't about to shoot a dog, or gamble on being able to shoot one with a silencer before it barked. I agree with egobop, dogs can be good deterrents, but they must be either noisy or aggressive in response to intruders. Friendly, floppy dogs are useless when it comes to safety. I know a woman who was raped while three of her dogs were present. She went out and adopted two big dogs as real guardians shortly thereafter.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:06 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,930 times
The alarm is only as good as your Neighbors. PD will not be on scene for well over 5 to 10 minutes, if that.
The sound of someone racking a shotgun BS. lets the bad guys know your home and about where you are.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:41 PM

The large majority of burglars do not carry guns with them. There are of course ones whom do but the majority do not. For the most part burglars do not want to be confronted by anyone and the majority would try to get out before having to confront someone. I was also referring to the comment about having the alarm make the sound of a shotgun cocking.

I have already mentioned that I am a retired police officer so naturally I have a handgun. I always keep a round in the chamber. The amount of time it takes to rack the slide on a handgun or pump a shotgun makes a big difference God forbid there is a gun fight.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealarm View Post
I guess the bottom line is, the more protection you have whether it's a dog or an alarm or closed circuit TV, the better off you are. I love dogs,
and I would hate to see a dog being hurt by a burglar, that's one reason
I would rather have the first line of defense to be an alarm rather than a wonderful dog.
1 dog....if you are thinking 1 dog, as per home intrusion cases...

Way off and don't even bother with 1 dog....

3 or more if home intrusion is the fear you are looking to suppress, and 3 large aggressive somewhat trained dogs, especially train them not to take food from anyone but you or your wife....
Bullmastiff, Rottweiler, Cane Corso, Brazilian Mastiffs...large but energetic dogs. Some people like pitbulls and American bulls but they don't have the weight to really stop.
A charging pitb or american bull is nothing like a 140 160 lb BM, RTW, CC or BZM... Also keep in mind those dogs all have much stronger jaws then a pit or american bull....

Personally i would recommend 2 of the 3 be males or all 3.

Then when the wife goes did you hear that.....you say i don't hear the dogs trying to kill something so no need for me to proceed to the gun safe..

Now the only problem is if you don't understand dogs, these dogs will run your house, with male BM's you better be #1 or come feeding time you will have a real problem.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
1 dog....if you are thinking 1 dog, as per home intrusion cases...

Way off and don't even bother with 1 dog....

3 or more if home intrusion is the fear you are looking to suppress, and 3 large aggressive somewhat trained dogs, especially train them not to take food from anyone but you or your wife....
Bullmastiff, Rottweiler, Cane Corso, Brazilian Mastiffs...large but energetic dogs. Some people like pitbulls and American bulls but they don't have the weight to really stop.
A charging pitb or american bull is nothing like a 140 160 lb BM, RTW, CC or BZM... Also keep in mind those dogs all have much stronger jaws then a pit or american bull....

Personally i would recommend 2 of the 3 be males or all 3.

Then when the wife goes did you hear that.....you say i don't hear the dogs trying to kill something so no need for me to proceed to the gun safe..

Now the only problem is if you don't understand dogs, these dogs will run your house, with male BM's you better be #1 or come feeding time you will have a real problem.
I am on my second Rottweiler now. My first Rottweiler died of bone cancer. Neither the one I had before or the one I have now will take food from anyone whom does not live in the house. I have had neighbors try to give them food and they just would not take it. I would have to take the food and give it to them. I did not train them this way so I am curious as to whether I have just gotten lucky or if this is a trait that the breed has.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,731 times
The breed was originally made to move livestock from home to market on there own, take possession of money for whatever livestock it was bringing to and return the money to home without allowing any interference...The carrying money is why they were breed with that bone crushing jaw...
1. for not being able to remove the money, and 2. not wanting to try to remove and get your bones broken...

There are many traits that come out of them on there own just as they grow, if they haven't/aren't from a Americanized breeder.
Funny to watch them herd the kids all on there own with no training, or put themselves between the kids and strangers and just survey...

Whereas the BM's will charge and tackle, i had 1 BM that was very good at watching strangers, this is the one that was stolen, also put himself between situations, i never seen that behavior from a BM, i believe it was picked up from the Rotties.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
The breed was originally made to move livestock from home to market on there own, take possession of money for whatever livestock it was bringing to and return the money to home without allowing any interference...The carrying money is why they were breed with that bone crushing jaw...
1. for not being able to remove the money, and 2. not wanting to try to remove and get your bones broken...

There are many traits that come out of them on there own just as they grow, if they haven't/aren't from a Americanized breeder.
Funny to watch them herd the kids all on there own with no training, or put themselves between the kids and strangers and just survey...

Whereas the BM's will charge and tackle, i had 1 BM that was very good at watching strangers, this is the one that was stolen, also put himself between situations, i never seen that behavior from a BM, i believe it was picked up from the Rotties.
The one I had as well as the one I currently have both do the "herding" of the children as well. I think it is great. They do not push them or anything like that; they just circle around them and watch out for them. They both have also put themselves between the children and other people as well. They really are great dogs. The only complaint I have is with the chewing phase. You have to keep an eye on them constantly for a good year to make sure they are not chewing furniture or door jams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island