Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,789 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just had our offer for our first home accepted and I just wanted to see if anyone if familiar with the area. The house is located in West Babylon with Babylon Village schools (Midwood Rd. and Hawthorne). Driving around the area seemed nice but after talking to my mom, I was told that the house is in the "ghetto" area of Babylon. So my question is, although I have researched the schools in the area I am pleased, but is there really a "ghetto" area? I grew up in Bay Shore and attended Brentwood schools. I know it can't be as bad as Brentwood but I would love some insight from people who live in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 07:35 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with West Babylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl5209 View Post
The house is located in West Babylon with Babylon Village schools (Midwood Rd. and Hawthorne).
Looking at the school district first, Midwood Road and Hawthorne Avenue is in the Babylon Union Free School District.

Secondly, Midwood Road and Hawthorne Avenue does not appear to be in a questionable are of West Babylon.

For those who may not be familiar with West Babylon:

West Babylon is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central to southeast part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of West Babylon in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Wyandanch; on the east by the Hamlet of North Babylon and the Village of Babylon; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Lindenhurst and the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/West-babylon-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of West Babylon has a different border than does the "West Babylon, NY 11704" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of West Babylon and a place can have other than a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of West Babylon): places that have a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of West Babylon are in the Village of Lindenhurst, the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst, the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of Wyandanch, the Hamlet of North Babylon and the Village of Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of West Babylon with a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757", "Wyandanch, NY 11798", "North Babylon, NY 11703" and "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 07-14-2009, 07:39 PM

330 posts, read 887,931 times
I have lived there for three years. Overall its pretty nice. One nice thing about it is that is seems pretty down to earth and there is a lot of 'affordable' real estate though taxes due seem to be on the high side for the lower priced real estate. Not much snobbery, very working class type of feel. There are a lot of massive houses that I think people in construction and various trades often own. There are often some half acre to acres plots around which seem more rare in south shore areas from this point and further west.

There also seems to be a fair share of white trash around. My neighbor likes to ride his harley up and down the road without a helmet on and with his 3 year old son sitting on his lap ... its borderline child abuse. The neighbor down the road has cars on blocks on his front lawn often and his kids ride go karts on the streets. You also see some less than classy people around (maybe that makes me a snob for noticing it), I really don't mind .. I don't have a problem with white trash and think they can often be good folk and are sometimes just misunderstood. Its more mixed racially than some places in long island but still predominantly white. Overall I have found people relatively friendly, its 10 minutes to robert moses beach and all shopping / restaurants and otherwise needed are close by. Its a bit far from the city and to get off of the island for my taste though.

As for that specific area. I haven't spent a lot of time in there but there is a little bit of a ghetto element there isolated locations I think. Some blocks have some more run down or abandoned houses and fellings to them at times but overall I think ghetto might be a stretch to explain it. Its all right near a really nice pool, sports field and roller hockey rink and the neighborhood has a nice look to it as the streets and homes are very tree lined giving it a nice country feel to it. From my perception of bay shore, I think its better than bayshore. I also feel safe here and don't worry about sleeping with the windows open.

Be careful about the schools, it might be west babylon elementary / middle school with babylon high schools. Sometimes this happens but they choose to list only the district that they feel is stronger. I believe babylon is better than west babylon, but I dont think its necessarily a deal breaker, just something to look into.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
Be careful about the schools, it might be west babylon elementary / middle school with babylon high schools. Sometimes this happens but they choose to list only the district that they feel is stronger. I believe babylon is better than west babylon, but I dont think its necessarily a deal breaker, just something to look into.

According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, Midwood Road and Hawthorne Avenue is in that part of the Hamlet of West Babylon that is in the Babylon Union Free School District.

Additionally, the Babylon Union Free School District and the West Babylon Union Free School District are separate school districts, and it is not probable that someone would switch between these two school districts, attending the West Babylon elementary / middle school and then the Babylon high schools.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:26 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl5209 View Post
My husband and I just had our offer for our first home accepted and I just wanted to see if anyone if familiar with the area. The house is located in West Babylon with Babylon Village schools (Midwood Rd. and Hawthorne). Driving around the area seemed nice but after talking to my mom, I was told that the house is in the "ghetto" area of Babylon. So my question is, although I have researched the schools in the area I am pleased, but is there really a "ghetto" area? I grew up in Bay Shore and attended Brentwood schools. I know it can't be as bad as Brentwood but I would love some insight from people who live in the area.
To my knowledge theres no W Babylon ghetto.
Its a decent little town.

I know some people are uncomfortable by Wyandanch but I think thats North Babylon.

Crooks

Old 07-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I know some people are uncomfortable by Wyandanch but I think thats North Babylon. Crooks
Crooks, the northern border of the Hamlet of West Babylon is the southern border of the Hamlet of Wyandanch, while the Hamlet of North Babylon is to the immediate north and to the immediate east of the Village of Babylon and the Hamlet of West Babylon, respectively; and the Hamlet of North Babylon and the Hamlet of Wyandanch do not share a common border.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Wow, this thread brings back memories. When I was little and we were stationed at Stewart AFB I used to spend a lot of time in Babylon with my grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins who lived there. That was back in the early 50s and I know the place must have changed a lot but I certainly have very nice memories of it.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Crooks, the northern border of the Hamlet of West Babylon is the southern border of the Hamlet of Wyandanch, while the Hamlet of North Babylon is to the immediate north and to the immediate east of the Village of Babylon and the Hamlet of West Babylon, respectively; and the Hamlet of North Babylon and the Hamlet of Wyandanch do not share a common border.

Im confused

do show

Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im confused

do show

Crooks, the Hamlet of North Babylon is to the immediate north of the Village of Babylon and to the immediate south of the Hamlet of Deer Park, and between the Hamlet of West Babylon on its west and the Babylon/Islip town line on its east.

Going from the north to the south, the Hamlet of West Babylon is as long as the combined Hamlet of North Babylon and the Village of Babylon, with the Hamlet of Wyandanch to the immediate north and the Great South Bay to the immediate south, and between the Hamlet of North Babylon and the Village of Babylon on its east and the Village of Lindenhurst, the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst and the Hamlet of East Farmingdale on its west.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 PM

330 posts, read 887,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, Midwood Road and Hawthorne Avenue is in that part of the Hamlet of West Babylon that is in the Babylon Union Free School District.

Additionally, the Babylon Union Free School District and the West Babylon Union Free School District are separate school districts, and it is not probable that someone would switch between these two school districts, attending the West Babylon elementary / middle school and then the Babylon high schools.
That makes sense. Voting for a budget would be strange otherwise.

Zillow has been misleading me. I guess it just picks the schools closest to the address and assigns them to it. I have seen many instances on zillow of crossovers between districts for elementary middle and high, probably for homes near borders of districts such as this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island