Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:52 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times

Advertisements

Can you get property tax info (with or without star program) for a home by entering address on any online database ? If not then how do I verify it with the town, in this case town of islip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 PM

330 posts, read 888,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Can you get property tax info (with or without star program) for a home by entering address on any online database ? If not then how do I verify it with the town, in this case town of islip.
propertyshark.com does nassau and suffolk and gives you tons of free information including taxes, prior purchase prices if available, neighborhood historical prices, zoning, sq ft, etc. I think you are limited to three homes day in the free version and you do have to sign up but its free to sign up. Sometimes it can be a little tricky to locate the property because of the way the address reads but I have found almost everything I have wanted from this site.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
Islip doesn't have their tax records online; you need to go in person to the Assessor's Office. It's on Maniton Court, just north of Rte 25a/Montauk Highway, behind the Town Hall (the Town Hall next to Teller's Restaurant, not the Town Hall next to the McDonalds).

Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 PM

108 posts, read 357,879 times
most of the time, zillow.com lists last years property tax. all you need to do is enter the street.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 PM

The seller said they have a permit for the 2nd garage (no living space) when it was put in @ 1986, but they do not have the CO. They are going to get a certificate of compliance from the town.... and they have assured me that the tax is not going to increase at all.... anyone buy this ?

Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
The seller said they have a permit for the 2nd garage (no living space) when it was put in @ 1986, but they do not have the CO. They are going to get a certificate of compliance from the town.... and they have assured me that the tax is not going to increase at all.... anyone buy this ?
Nope. Once the CC is on file, the taxes WILL increase somewhat, simply because no town is going to give square footage away "for free" taxwise. It will probably not increase very much, and certainly not nearly as much as it would for adding living space, because garages are taxed at the lowest rate, but there will be some increase for the addition of square footage.

The building permit that they originally got for the garage is expired long ago. Often a homeowner will go through the permit process but not bother to take the final step of getting a CO because they don't want their assessed valuation/taxes to change.

You can find out how much the taxes will increase if you know the actual size of the second garage. Go to the Assessor's Office, explain the situation, tell them what is currently there and ask for a ballpark reassessment figure after the 2nd garage has been CC'd. You may find that it will end up being only another $25 or $50 or so a year. They will ask you things such as the height of the garage (is it 1-story or 2-story, is it heated, does it have running water, etc) as well as the footprint dimensions. They will ask these things because they don't have the CC file to refer to... the Assessor's Office and the Building Dept (which is on the other side of Maniton Court, btw) are on entirely different records systems and don't have a line of communication with each other. It's always Building Dept first, then when a CO or CC is issued the information gets sent over to the Assessor. It can take as much as a year for changes to show up in the tax bill, depending on when the CO or CC is obtained.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Nope. Once the CC is on file, the taxes WILL increase somewhat, simply because no town is going to give square footage away "for free" taxwise. It will probably not increase very much, and certainly not nearly as much as it would for adding living space, because garages are taxed at the lowest rate, but there will be some increase for the addition of square footage.

The building permit that they originally got for the garage is expired long ago. Often a homeowner will go through the permit process but not bother to take the final step of getting a CO because they don't want their assessed valuation/taxes to change.

You can find out how much the taxes will increase if you know the actual size of the second garage. Go to the Assessor's Office, explain the situation, tell them what is currently there and ask for a ballpark reassessment figure after the 2nd garage has been CC'd. You may find that it will end up being only another $25 or $50 or so a year. They will ask you things such as the height of the garage (is it 1-story or 2-story, is it heated, does it have running water, etc) as well as the footprint dimensions. They will ask these things because they don't have the CC file to refer to... the Assessor's Office and the Building Dept (which is on the other side of Maniton Court, btw) are on entirely different records systems and don't have a line of communication with each other. It's always Building Dept first, then when a CO or CC is issued the information gets sent over to the Assessor. It can take as much as a year for changes to show up in the tax bill, depending on when the CO or CC is obtained.
Thank you much for your response, I am going to go to the town office tomorrow in the morning, I think I should have all the information that I need. I will keep you posted.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM

Oh my God, did not think it would be this stressful....
The town inspector said if its oil burner you are relatively okay, if its 10 inches clear... another okay.... and in the end he suggested that you should still get a permit from the town and only then it will be a complete OK ! (i think I'm going to die from this)
I'm having a contractor inspect this tomorrow and find out how much will it cost to move it up.

Now, I learnt from the realtor that the washer/dryer room (10 x 10 size) does not have a CO in addition to the other garage that I mentioned before.... That room has a window and has a door opening out to the yard and also baseboard heating....
The 2nd Garage (that does not have a CO) also has heat, not throughout but the there is a small baseboard that just gets into it from the laundry room, and it has a window though.
If they get the CO for that (both the laundry room and the 2nd garage), will that be classified as living space or non-living space ? In either case what would be the approx tax increase ? I'm so sick and tired of things popping up unexpectedly.

I'm enclosing a couple of pics of the laundry room and one of the 2nd garage with the exposed heating element at the right corner... guys please help me out.

Worst case scenario, can I just ask them to take out the heat from the laundry room and the 2nd garage ?
Attached Thumbnails
Property tax info-t_washdryer.jpg   Property tax info-t_washdryer2.jpg   Property tax info-garage2.jpg  

Last edited by zulu400; 07-08-2009 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
You must really want this house to go through all this nonsense. If it were me, I would tell the owner "get your house fully 'legal' and then call me and I will think about buying it." You should charge by the hour for all of your work, running around, and research on this and present them a bill, with the hourly rate for time spent deducted from your final offer.

People should be required to MAKE SURE THEIR HOME IS LEGAL before putting their home up for sale in the first place. Otherwise, it is just another scam to rip off the buyers ("we didn't bother adding on responsibly; we are allowed to pass the buck to the poor sucker we are selling to").

Maybe the NY Dept. of State should add that on to their millions of rules and regulations about selling homes and then the realtors would not be able to represent a house unless it is already fully legal ...

Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Yeah, it sounds like its time to move on to a new house. There are issues piling up. CO issues are THE WORST. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island