Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Jackie, I am wondering if you are having a tough time selling it b/c it's so far out on the isle? I mean Yaphank is a nice area, but anyone who works in the city isn't going to buy it...or anyone who likes to go to the city alot...i think you are leaving out a bunch of potential buyers you may have had if you were selling something further west.

Just my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:31 PM

270 posts, read 964,700 times
We actually get a lot of showings and have gotten alot over the past year.
The big problem is whoever built our development sucks! They only built some with garages! Every section of 4 townhouses has two garages! WTF! Why wouldn't you just build them all with garages!.....LOL

We actually could have sold our condo about 8 times now if it wasn't for
not having a garage. People love our unit, and would put an offer on it, but they really want one with a garage.
We didn't care that it didn't have a garage when we
bought it, and our neighbor didn't care when she bought hers. But that
was 6 years ago, and it seems all people care about now is a garage! None
of the units w/out garages are selling in my development.

Don't get me wrong, sure it would be a nice thing to have, but it wouldn't
be a deciding factor for us when start looking at houses

Old 07-23-2009, 03:28 PM

95 posts, read 206,884 times
You have to drop the price in order to sell it. This is a buyer's market, especially out east, and especially for condos. You'll be unable to sell it unless you can make your place attractive even if it doesn't have a garage.

Buyers are picky right now because they can be. Think like a buyer, why would they take a unit without a garage for the same price as one with a garage?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:18 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie78 View Post
We actually get a lot of showings and have gotten alot over the past year.
The big problem is whoever built our development sucks! They only built some with garages! Every section of 4 townhouses has two garages! WTF! Why wouldn't you just build them all with garages!.....LOL

We actually could have sold our condo about 8 times now if it wasn't for
not having a garage. People love our unit, and would put an offer on it, but they really want one with a garage.
We didn't care that it didn't have a garage when we
bought it, and our neighbor didn't care when she bought hers. But that
was 6 years ago, and it seems all people care about now is a garage! None
of the units w/out garages are selling in my development.

Don't get me wrong, sure it would be a nice thing to have, but it wouldn't
be a deciding factor for us when start looking at houses
When yo sell where are you moving to?

Did you already find something or are you leaving LI?

Id sit it out if not.

Crooks

Old 08-19-2009, 08:05 AM

with my husbands job, we have to stay on long island......we are just moving to a house. The condos were we live have been selling, but only
the ones with garages. Nothing without a garage has sold since we've
been on the market. We've been on the market over a year, and at this
point we are definitely leaning towards renting our condo. All the showings and open houses have gotten really annoying, especially when they don't amount to anything.....lol We are one of the cheapest condos for sale in our development right now, but as long as there are ones with garages (more expensive) people are going to spend more for those no matter how much work is needed to put in to the unit. At least that is the trend in our place

Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
while i agree that a gagrage is a big selling point, and you say your price is the cheapest, i have to wonder if you think your place is as nice as you think. Dont take it personally. Most homeowners are proud of thier home, and tend to think it is nicer than it really is. I thought the same thing of my 1st house. Now when i think about it, it wasnt as nice as i thought. Just be carefull renting. You never know who you will be renting to. I have heard of horror stories. Good Luck.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,750 times
Why is the garage such a big deal? I have a garage in my house, but I always park my car on the driveway. As long as you have reasonable parking available, who uses a garage nowadays?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 AM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
It may be the location or the price that you're asking . I was able to sell my Babylon Village townhouse in three weeks. I had three solid offers.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Why is the garage such a big deal? I have a garage in my house, but I always park my car on the driveway. As long as you have reasonable parking available, who uses a garage nowadays?

LOL, i agree, my last 3 houses have had garages, and i used them as storage. It still is a selling point, some people do use them as what they were built for.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM

I don't get it myself.......lol I can't figure out why people buy the condos
they do in our development. The feedback we get is always positive....everyone says they love the unit and the updates and they love that they can just move in and not do anything. But there is always the....well the dining room is a little small and my hutch won't fit, or we love it but theres no garage!......LOL (we actually get the its to small or no garage comment alot) Its a condo not a mansion people!...LOL

They don tend to rent pretty quickly where we live though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island