Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 AM

330 posts, read 887,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
Ok, but being an educated consumer I would look and see that the participation rate is 8%. This would let me know that this wasn't the environment I would want for my kid. It is useful to see SAT scores between states and within a state

Additionally, in LI, the participation rate is pretty high. So, you are almost comparing apples to apples between schools. The differences in scores between districts (along with other data about the school like graduation rates, % of kids going on to a four year college, and number of kids taking AP classes) does allow you to see what the school environment will be like for your child.

So, no the difference between one school on Long Island with a SAT score of 1050 and another with an SAT score with 1070 is nothing. However, when you then see scores in the 1200's, it makes you take a second look as to why. Then, you can make your descision.

Similarly, if you come from a school in a different state but with similar socioeconomic conditions (again, apples to apples) with SAT scores in the 1200's and you are moving to LI, SAT scores are one of many helpful tools to help you decide where you want to live.

It's silly to just right off SAT scores as useless. They are useful, however, I agree, you have to understand the other issues that impact that one score. You also can't use it exclusively to make your decisions.
Within a given region they are slightly more valid, but you originally said they are nationalized and are good to make state to state comparisons. Even the college board itself warns against this. There are too many differences state to state and it is never apples to apples. Even when you might find some similarities, the participation rates then come into play. For example, NC (which in not that similar to NY anyway) has a 71% participation rate while NY had an 89% rate in 2008.. that's an extra 25% of the population being counted in the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,511 times
I have been tutoring LSAT and SAT for over 20 years and have found that those who have average or low sat scores usually have problems with the LSAT, despite having done well as undergraduates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island