Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 AM

342 posts, read 1,093,992 times

Advertisements

For those who are looking at school districts I found this link on another forum. Just one indicator in many on how a school is performing. SAT tests are nationalized, so it's nice, especially for those new to the area, to be able to compare these numbers with out-of-state schools.

SAT Scores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
For those who are looking at school districts I found this link on another forum. Just one indicator in many on how a school is performing. SAT tests are nationalized, so it's nice, especially for those new to the area, to be able to compare these numbers with out-of-state schools.

SAT Scores
Honestly, SAT scores mean nothing. I graduated high school with a 98 average and got a 920 on my SAT's. I still got into all the schools I wanted. SAT's are BS.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 AM

270 posts, read 969,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Honestly, SAT scores mean nothing. I graduated high school with a 98 average and got a 920 on my SAT's. I still got into all the schools I wanted. SAT's are BS.
Most admissions departments will balance your GPA/Class Rank against your aptitude test scores, so if you don't do so well on one side, exceptional performance on the other will compensate for it.

As an opposite example to you, I was a solid C average student in high school. However, I scored highly on the aptitude tests and still got in to the universities I applied to.

At the end of the day, it's just one measurement of an overall package. Depending on the school being applied to, grade/rank/test scores may not even weigh heavily against something like a portfolio, interview, or extra-curricular activities.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 AM

330 posts, read 888,008 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say they mean nothing. Depends on the schools you are trying to get into.

If you don't have above 700 on math (maybe ever higher than that these days), your application to MIT is most likely getting shuffled right into the garbage. The admissions people will tell you not even to bother applying. Things have also gotten exponentially more competitive from years back.

While possible, it is unlikely you will get into a top caliber rated school with SAT scores below probably 1200 (based on the old 1600 total number system). Its probably even higher than that, I might be low balling it, just a guess.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:29 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post

SAT Scores
Thanks for the link.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
Quote:
I disagree.... I know its not everything.... but I think it has its place in the whole scheme of the admission process. Top Universities do look at it and not having a decent score may make it tougher to get into it, just like someone with 1600 score and nothing else outside the classroom to show for.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,768 times
The problem with using SAT scores is that, no matter what ETS tells you, coaching can help--so results will be skewed towards wealthy districts where parents pay for coaching.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
I think SAT's paint a good picture overall on how schools stack up against each other though, since each state has different testing methods, its hard to compare.Its especially difficult when trying to compare out of state schools. The higher SAT scores on LI are just where you expect them to be, the schools with the best reputations.

I was happy to see that my NC high school SAT scores are actually higher(by about 100 points) than the school my kids would have gone to if we stayed on LI (Commack).

Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 AM

330 posts, read 888,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
I think SAT's paint a good picture overall on how schools stack up against each other though, since each state has different testing methods, its hard to compare.Its especially difficult when trying to compare out of state schools. The higher SAT scores on LI are just where you expect them to be, the schools with the best reputations.

I was happy to see that my NC high school SAT scores are actually higher(by about 100 points) than the school my kids would have gone to if we stayed on LI (Commack).
As you said, you can't really compare state to state or even necessarily region to region for that matter. This is due to the participation rates. If you check the participation rates on the SAT, NY state has near 100% taking the test where in other states it can be well below 50% taking the tests. Results in skewed comparisons. I remembering seeing the highest ranked state a few years back and it was something like Idaho, largely due to the well below 50% of the population taking the test.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:04 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,020 times
SAT scores also vary year-by-year. Here's another link I found. Best Schools (http://www.gillanguide.com/Best%20Schools.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island