Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 AM

149 posts, read 524,430 times

Advertisements

I know I'm semi showing my age with this, but I remembered being taught to stick up for myself especially during the turbulent times of middle and senior high school. Someone pushed you, you pushed back and so on. You might never win all or even most of your fights, but it let others know that you weren't a doormat. I was a quiet kid and never found myself in those situations. In any case, kids caught fighting were warned or suspended a few days, depending on circumstanses.

Kids these days (Sigh, late 30's folks...) want to either roll 10 deep and try to jump on another kid or two or worse-retaliate somewhere off school grounds with all kinds of weapons LONG after a situation was thought over. There was a piece on News 12 a week or so ago about kids being stabbed during some melee in Brentwood or Central Islip (I think) during summer school and the students in that school are totally unfazed as it's a normal occurrence. One kid was outraged, every other kid interviewed just shrugged it off

I also do not understand what difference it makes whether your friend's son or the individuals he is fighting with are minorities or not. This is purely irrelevant and believe it or not does not put your friend's child in the right without knowing all of the facts. I believe the reason this would not be in Newsday is due to the fact that the "good little white kid" was the first to take action that actually lead to him getting jumped. It is not as if he was a white teenager walking down the street whom was jumped by a group of minorities yelling racial slurs at him and beating him up because he was white.

I'm with EgoBop on the 'minority/non-minority' statement. I must say that I can understand your friend's son being sick and tired of being picked on and these cowards who must hang with groups or take things to another horrible level make it tough on a student trying to get an education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 03:31 PM

405 posts, read 1,161,862 times
Hate to say it but this is not something new to today's kids, not by a mile. This kind of stuff has been going on forever.

A change of schools may, or may not help the situation. Teens do not live strictly in their school or on their block. If there is "bad blood" between these kids then that needs to be settled or it will flare again regardless of what schools the kid may attend.

Okaydorothy, I'm sorry that your friends have to go through this. I do however have to agree with Egobop in the belief that there is more to this story than even you may know, or than the child is willing to admit to his parents. Good luck, I hope you find resolution.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:45 PM

99 posts, read 272,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Hate to say it but this is not something new to today's kids, not by a mile. This kind of stuff has been going on forever.

A change of schools may, or may not help the situation. Teens do not live strictly in their school or on their block. If there is "bad blood" between these kids then that needs to be settled or it will flare again regardless of what schools the kid may attend.

Okaydorothy, I'm sorry that your friends have to go through this. I do however have to agree with Egobop in the belief that there is more to this story than even you may know, or than the child is willing to admit to his parents. Good luck, I hope you find resolution.
100% agree

Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM

8,807 posts, read 21,238,611 times
Yeah, there is no history of Catholic schools wrecking generations of America's youth.

Not the other kids, though. That was the sisters and brothers. I attended Sacred Heart in Sag Harbor so I do know from experience.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 PM

874 posts, read 2,870,270 times
I went to high school from 10th to 12th grade on the border of Queens and Brooklyn. Most of the kids in the school were from either Ridgewood, Queens or Bushwick, Brooklyn. I was no bully but I did manage to have a number of fights there. These fights never took place in the school but rather in the streets nearby. Most fights were either groups against groups or one on one. One on one was of course the norm. Both sides would bring people just to make sure that nobody from the other side would jump in.

ANY time ANY group "jumped" one person this would make for retaliation against the entire group. This was basically a big "no-no". There was one group from Bushwick (I do not call it a gang since I do not think they named themselves or took part in gang activity) that "jumped" a friend of mine. Myself and a bunch of other kids who knew him gathered on the side of the school where these guys left from and proceeded to fight with them. The funny thing was that we went to their side of the school with about forty kids and only about eight of us actually rushed in to fight with these guys. They had about eighteen guys so we turned out to be outnumbered.

I guess we got the upper hand in that fight though since the following week one of the kids we were fighting with was chased by the police on his way to school and they caught him with a shotgun.

The point to this story is that I do not think it is really much different now than it was at that time. I believe that now people tend to call the cops more about these things. Back then myself and my friends would never think of calling the cops if we did lose and whomever we fought with obviously did not either. Any time we were fighting and we heard sirens or someone yelled "Police!" anyone involved in the fight would disperse quickly. If the police asked what was going on everyone involved would say everything was good and all would be on their way. Nobody would think of trying to have someone arrested for hitting them. Nowadays, it seems people are quicker to point fingers at the people they were fighting with which accounts for more people being arrested and it seeming like there are more problems than there were years back.

I am not saying which is right or wrong but it is just the way it was then and the way it is now. I will say that people within the group I hung out with would never "jump" someone due to the fact that we always viewed anyone whom would do that to be the plural of a word that is often used in front of "cat".

Old 07-27-2009, 07:28 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,778,062 times
I guess the difference is that I didnt grow up here and I hope that my kids would never beat on anyone at all.

Thanks
d

Old 07-27-2009, 07:36 PM

518 posts, read 1,817,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
If this is common place in the schools in that district they should just move to a better neighborhood. Whether the child is placed in private school or home schooled he is still going to have contact with the other children from that neighborhood.
its not always that simple to just "move to a better neighborhood". theres fights in every high school, from harborfields to central islip. but u know what, if the kid that was being bullied JUMPED the other kid, he really just got payback when they jumped him back. if he was going to fight the kid, fight him head up, and let it be over with. if u sucker punch someone or jump them, most times its not going to be over after that.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:45 PM

32 posts, read 66,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Yeah, there is no history of Catholic schools wrecking generations of America's youth.
You obviously didn't go to a Cathloic high school. I am a graduate of Chaminade HS and believe I got one of the best educations on Long Island.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:29 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,778,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinperna View Post
You obviously didn't go to a Cathloic high school. I am a graduate of Chaminade HS and believe I got one of the best educations on Long Island.

My son would love to go there. Unfortuantely we only get bussing to one catholic high school, so thats where he has to go.

d

Old 07-30-2009, 05:05 AM

164 posts, read 457,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinperna View Post
Vinperna..good for you! Chaminade is a wonderful school hands down! My son will be going into HS next year and Chaminade is one of his top three picks. We will be visiting again this Oct. to see it for the second time. I am happy to hear you loved it. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island