Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,041 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I tried doing a search on the forums as well as on google and couldn't find what I was looking for, so if this has already been discussed, my apologies.
I'm aware that they have taken away rebate checks for STAR, however, someone (a mortgage broker) just mentioned to me that more than likely (he said almost definitely) Basic (not advanced) STAR is going away. Therefore the 100 dollars, etc....per month that I would be saving when I move into my new home, would no longer be accessible.
Is this just talk, or is this a very likely scenario that the STAR program (not referring to rebate checks), is going away?
Does anyone have any information or insight into this? I should mention that I'm in Suffolk County and I'm purchasing a new home (I currently have STAR).
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,079 times
I haven't heard anything specific, but I know they (the gov't) have been discussing removal of the STAR program. The gov't is always threatening to take back whatever they give you. I wouldn't plan on counting on it, and if you do get it, consider it a plus and bank away the extra money in savings or use it against the principle in your loan.

Also, I'm pretty sure the first year you are in your home, you pay the actual taxes while your STAR application (which you'll need to send in ASAP) is reviewed. It won't be applied until the next tax bill.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks lialleycat... I thought that because we currently have STAR and the owners that are there also have STAR, that we could continue paying it under STAR while the application goes through (that's what happened with our condo, but I'm not sure how common that is).
Yes, I agree - I will definitely not count on it and just consider it a bonus if I do get it....but I'm just curious how many other people heard this and how serious of a "threat" it really is... I can't believe they'd really do that considering how many people actually rely on that.

Thanks again for your reply

Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM

I'm not sure STAR travels from house to house. I know mine didn't. Unless there was some special paperwork I was supposed to fill out that I didn't - which is entirely possible. It's hard enough to figure out which exemptions you qualify for.

Personally, I wish they'd scrap the whole STAR program and re-do the taxes so that basically everyone has the bill they do now without the annoying paperwork. If just about everyone qualifies for basic star - they why don't they just apply it across the board? The more complex the system is, the more people hired to administer it, the more our taxes are going up anyway. Of course I know that's a pipe dream and my taxes will continue to go up at least 500/yr no matter what.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:53 PM

294 posts, read 879,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastEnder25 View Post
Hello,

I tried doing a search on the forums as well as on google and couldn't find what I was looking for, so if this has already been discussed, my apologies.
I'm aware that they have taken away rebate checks for STAR, however, someone (a mortgage broker) just mentioned to me that more than likely (he said almost definitely) Basic (not advanced) STAR is going away. Therefore the 100 dollars, etc....per month that I would be saving when I move into my new home, would no longer be accessible.
Is this just talk, or is this a very likely scenario that the STAR program (not referring to rebate checks), is going away?
Does anyone have any information or insight into this? I should mention that I'm in Suffolk County and I'm purchasing a new home (I currently have STAR).
Thank you!
I have heard this rumor myself, but it has not been substantiated as far as I know. I certainly hope this is not the case.
As for purchasing a home, very often the former homeowners' STAR will stay in effect until the paperwork is filed and the town/county catches up. So hopefully the new homeowner will only have to pay the taxes without STAR for a short time, until their new request is processed.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
It is my understanding STAR is owner specific, not house specific. An elderly person gets a different rating than a young married couple, for example.
Apply immediately after buying house and see what you get.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 AM

654 posts, read 2,120,527 times
I PULLED THE FOLLOWING FROM THE INTERNET:

No: The state is keeping the basic & enhanced STAR program, but it is eliminating the Middle Class STAR program. The difference is that basic/enhanced STAR reduces a homeowner’s assessment for calculating school taxes. The Middle Class STAR program sent a check to homeowners who have Basic STAR. The rebate amount was based on one’s income and age and averaged up to $450 for senior citizens. State leaders eliminated the Middle Class STAR program, the state’s largest property tax rebate program, to help close a $17.7 billion budget deficit.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:36 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I PULLED THE FOLLOWING FROM THE INTERNET:

No: The state is keeping the basic & enhanced STAR program, but it is eliminating the Middle Class STAR program. The difference is that basic/enhanced STAR reduces a homeowner’s assessment for calculating school taxes. The Middle Class STAR program sent a check to homeowners who have Basic STAR. The rebate amount was based on one’s income and age and averaged up to $450 for senior citizens. State leaders eliminated the Middle Class STAR program, the state’s largest property tax rebate program, to help close a $17.7 billion budget deficit.

Good thing they took it from the middle class.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Good thing they took it from the middle class.
Someone has to pay for the poor and give to the rich!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Dawn - that is good to know and that is what I had heard (the rebate checks were being removed), but then this mortgage broker told me that even Basic STAR is going away. I'm fine with applying and having to pay regular taxes for awhile, but it would be nice to know you can count on BASIC star at some point and that it's not going away.
I just wasn't sure if I was missing this "announcement" plastered all over....or if my broker is just being extra cautious...

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island