Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,322,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
I just spoke to the company and they are sending a guy. They are assuming that the supply lines were never capped which is why the oil was leaking in the basement. It seems like the leak is under the heater so I am not sure how they will access this without moving the heater around.
Thats why you have the escrow for , don't worry, they should be able to take care of it.... not sure about the stink you mentioned.... how does one get rid of that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Thats why you have the escrow for , don't worry, they should be able to take care of it.... not sure about the stink you mentioned.... how does one get rid of that ?
For the stink, there may be some things on the market to do that (i.e. lysol) however you have to watch where you spray it as it is flammable. But then lysol has a stink to it too.

Best way I know is to open all windows/doors to the basement, get a fan and circulate the air.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 AM

551 posts, read 1,572,154 times
The stink will subside, so long as this is a one off thing. They likely will spread absorbant around that will soak up any remaining liquid (industrial cat litter). A few applications and you should be fine. You might even be better off using some cat litter as you can get the stuff with built-in fragrance.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 AM

520 posts, read 1,649,589 times
They just left. There was a small supply line that I did not see sticking through the floor. He said the expanding foam caused the pressure that forced the oil out of the lines. They aren't able to pull the oil out of the lines, which is why there was some left. He also crimped the lines to prevent this from ever happening again. Hopefully there are no other issues.

To go along with my bad luck. He also told me that there was 300 gallons of oil left in the tank when they pumped it out. Had I known I would have sold it. Unfortunately, they pump it into waste containers so they have to condition the oil to get it usable again.

Last edited by mambwe; 07-30-2009 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
They just left. There was a small supply line that I did not see sticking through the floor. He said the expanding foam caused the pressure that forced the oil out of the lines. They aren't able to pull the oil out of the lines, which is why there was some left. He also crimped the lines to prevent this from ever happening again. Hopefully there are no other issues.

To go along with my bad luck. He also told me that there was 300 gallons of oil left in the tank when they pumped it out. Had I known I would have sold it. Unfortunately, they pump it into waste containers so they have to condition the oil to get it usable again.
Did you discuss previously with the sellers whats to be done with the oil in the tank ? Make sure you are not charged for the 300 gallons of oil at closing unless you already agreed to pay. Usually if there is no work done on the tank you have to pay for whatever oil is left in the tank at closing, obviously you are going to use gas now so the oil is of no use to you anyway.

Sorry to give you more stress, but I'm just trying to look out for you.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:29 PM

520 posts, read 1,649,589 times
We closed already and they have had gas for quite some time. My guess is that they didn't know the oil was there.
I didn't have to pay anything at closing.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:33 PM

Oh, I apologize for the misunderstanding.... yes you could have sold it.... easily 1K + lol.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,133,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
For the stink, there may be some things on the market to do that (i.e. lysol) however you have to watch where you spray it as it is flammable. But then lysol has a stink to it too.

Best way I know is to open all windows/doors to the basement, get a fan and circulate the air.
oil doesnt ignate as easily as gasoline.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 PM

270 posts, read 968,116 times
I think he was more concerned about spraying Lysol around a burner.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:53 PM

880 posts, read 2,021,167 times
mambwe
to get rid of the smell use bleach,pour on oil let it sit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island