Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 AM

23 posts, read 93,445 times

Advertisements

I got two drastically different quotes for window installations. Both quotes are for Anderson windows. I will be getting two 26 inch double hungs and a 38 inch picture window in my living room. One quote was $975. The other was $1960. Why such a difference in price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,180 times
Default Materials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumfreak View Post
I got two drastically different quotes for window installations. Both quotes are for Anderson windows. I will be getting two 26 inch double hungs and a 38 inch picture window in my living room. One quote was $975. The other was $1960. Why such a difference in price?
Are both quoting the same amount of work and materials? There will be moulding on the inside and outside. Are the windows made of the same material? Glass? Do you have more information?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:53 AM

113 posts, read 438,037 times
Ask for references from both, check the materials list and make calls. You may be saving yourself $1000 in just an hour of time!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
I'm not in your area but I just got quotes to replace 4 windows in my home. I will tell you that there is HUGE negotiating room. My windows are standard size 33" x 66" double hung, vinyl, argon gas, etc, etc. One place quoted me $360 per window (this includes outside capping) and the other place quoted me $298/window (after I shook my head at his price of $348/window).

So the moral of the story is...there is a very big markup going on and you can and should get multiple bids and then let them compete against each other. And then ask the lowest bidder to bring his price down more!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 67,739 times
Make sure both quotes are for the same type of windows - 200 series, 400 series, etc. The lower quote sounds too good to be true, althugh installation is a large portion of the cost and maybe the contractor is keen to get your business.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
Doesn't sound like a huge mark-up to me, assuming everything was exactly the same.... 15% isn't HUGE by any strech of the imagination.

Something sounds wrong about the $900 quote. I would call up windowrama and find out how much the windows you want cost. $900 to me sounds like the cost of the windows, if you're talking about Andersen 400 series and not a no name replacement window.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:39 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
The company that quoted me was "Clear Choice." A nationwide company with local franchises. Their trick is that in person they mark up the amount. However, on their website their standard window (non-argon) is $185 (double hung, any size, double pane, installed). I found out from talking to the dispatcher that they charge $60 extra per window for the low e/argon. Yet on their order form they have it at $95 extra/window...capping costs $40/per but on the form it shows as $60/per, so there are obviously pricing games being played if you don't know better. These windows are guaranteed for as long as you own your house and the company is in good standing with the BBB and gave me a long list of folks in my zip code who have used them. But make no mistake about it: ALL building and remodeling companies try to get as much profit out of any homeowner as they can. It's the nature of the biz.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,063 times
Can anyone explain the basic difference between the Andersen 200 and 400 series windows? My nephew needs to replace a bay window in the house he just bought and both estimates came back at around $3000. That's double what the home inspector estimated the approximate replacement cost would be (around $1500). My nephew just told the contractors "Andersen" so I'm wondering whether they automatically priced out the 400 series instead of the 200. As long as the 200 is also considered an energy-saving window, it would still qualify for the 2009 Federal income tax credit for replacement of old with new "qualified" windows.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
I would check out the andersen website. There is a difference, but i'm not sure what exactly. The comment I heard is most people buy the 400 series as ultimately the price difference isn't all that large and builders are the ones buying the 200 series as they can save on the large amount of window purchases. There may also be a limited size availability.

My comment was more directed at a real andersen new construction window, as opposed to a replacement which is normally much cheaper to install.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:05 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,500 times
Before you buy any window you need to understand a few things.
Windows are like cards, each one is diff. with a diff. Insulation value. The thicker the glass the better. IE 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 , 7/8 . Top of the line replacement windows are 7/8 triple glass. Not sure about anderson but think most are not over 1/2. Could be wrong. Don't let anyone tell you different. Thicker is better.
Also "E" glass [ energy glass] only works to defelct the suns heat if it hits directly on your window[s]. If you have a large over hang that does not allow the sun to directly hit your window glass it is money wasted.
Also, are the openings going to be altered in size ?? Most anderson windows are NOT direct replacement size. Fill in or cut out . What will the window company do to finish off the interior and exterior. Capped, Paint, molding, sheet rock, tape, spackle ??
While wood is a tad better insulator over VINYL. It needs to be finished and cared for. Vinyl, just clean it and your done. Also on Double hungs ask about the "balancer" Thats the thing that holds up the sash. Some are cheap "string" yes string.
Research, and do it again before buying.
PS ask about the guarantee. Don't fall the life time BS. Because most only guarantee the frames, not the glass, locks, balancers etc. Get it in PRINT.
Before you ask, yes this is what I do for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island