Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 05:59 PM

53 posts, read 659,548 times

Advertisements

Went to a home inspection today and found out that the oil tank is buried. Inspector stated that it would be high priority to abandon it and have a new one installed. He gave me a roundabout price, but wanted to know if anyone had this experience.

He also mentioned that soon the county will demand that all buried oil tanks be abandoned and then, the price will really go up. Is anyone aware of this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM

63 posts, read 270,952 times
We are buying a home that had a buried oil tank. We had the tank abandoned and converted to gas. We paid about 7k, $1800 went towards the tank abandonment. The price is higher than normal because the tank was located under the patio. We had all the work done before closing, but paid for it.

Do you know how old the tank is and what its made of? The tank that we had abandoned was the original tank from 1946!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,762,800 times
Tank abandonment is a pretty simple process. First, they pump out whatever oil is left in the tank. Then, they dig down until the top of the tank is uncovered. They cut off the top, fill it with sand or foam, and cover it back up. If you are going to do this, consider converting to gas at the same time.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaroutsos View Post
We are buying a home that had a buried oil tank. We had the tank abandoned and converted to gas. We paid about 7k, $1800 went towards the tank abandonment. The price is higher than normal because the tank was located under the patio. We had all the work done before closing, but paid for it.

Do you know how old the tank is and what its made of? The tank that we had abandoned was the original tank from 1946!
Wow! Unfortunately, there are no gas lines on this block. However, fortunately the tank is on the side of the house under grass.

I dont know how old the tank is, I suspect the original-from 1965.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Tank abandonment is a pretty simple process. First, they pump out whatever oil is left in the tank. Then, they dig down until the top of the tank is uncovered. They cut off the top, fill it with sand or foam, and cover it back up. If you are going to do this, consider converting to gas at the same time.
Tom, that is exactly what the inspector said! Unfortunately, there are no gas lines on the block. Do you think we could put this in the contract, and have the seller pay for it? I don't want to have to do this first thing when we move in a house.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,545,928 times
What every one said is correct.

There is no law pending about tanks right now.......but that may change.

I highly recommend it be done prior to closing, by the seller.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,762,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawoman4368 View Post
Tom, that is exactly what the inspector said! Unfortunately, there are no gas lines on the block. Do you think we could put this in the contract, and have the seller pay for it? I don't want to have to do this first thing when we move in a house.
You can try. It's all negotiable. I have seen some cases where the seller agreed to take care of the abandonment.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:10 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,889 times
We are in contract for a home with a buried oil tank. The homeowner agreed to testing and after we close, we will abandon and replace with inside unit. All went well with the soil test although I'm not sure how accurate it is. As KB said, there are no laws in suffolk-you just need to save your paperwork that you had it abandoned legally. I spent a lot of time on the phone with the dec.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 PM

32 posts, read 226,089 times
I'm about to sell and am abandoning first...

Does anyone know if steel or fibreglass tanks are best?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM

75 posts, read 466,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawoman4368 View Post
Went to a home inspection today and found out that the oil tank is buried. Inspector stated that it would be high priority to abandon it and have a new one installed. He gave me a roundabout price, but wanted to know if anyone had this experience.

He also mentioned that soon the county will demand that all buried oil tanks be abandoned and then, the price will really go up. Is anyone aware of this?
There are no proposals to remove all underground tanks in the USA. There are requirements to upgrade tanks but they do not apply to most home heating oil tanks. My experience in Long Island is that the removal contractors who are not licensed by the government to remove heating oil tanks will either cover-up what is found or due to lack of knowledge not do a proper job of remediation. Also you must be aware of the companies that identify contamination when none is there. The other problem is NYState does not recognize laboratory soil evaluations that identify Diesel Range Organics (DRO). Heating oil is a DRO. NYS uses a different standard that allows for soil to contain unacceptable amounts of heating oil in the ground because it meets the NYS standard. In all of the surrounding states the amount of contamination allowed by NYS would not be acceptable in those states. In discussions with some case managers of NYDEC the reason for not using DRO analysis is because they want to avoid false positive results. The problem with their assumption of false positive is the analysis can also identify what type of DRO it is like #2 heating oil or driveway material.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island