Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,212 times

Advertisements

Ok, extra garage was put on 25 yrs back, and there was some kind of termite activity on a portion of the sill plate under the new garage. There is no termite activity visible at present but portion of the sill plate is damaged. Sellers attorney said they are not going to do anything about it and do not have records of the termite treatment done.

What are my options ? I have no idea what it costs to fix it. Will this be classified as structural damage ?
Please Help !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 04:19 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
If the damage isn't too bad it can be repaired easily.
Cut out the bad and splice in new.
If it is extensive then it can get complicated, garage may have have to be jacked up to replace damaged wood. Even so, it's not the worst repair job.
I've done it myself quite a few times.
Could cost from a few hundred, upwards of a thousand depending on severity of the damage.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM

thinking.....

Old 08-03-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
If it is extensive then it can get complicated, garage may have have to be jacked up to replace damaged wood. Even so, it's not the worst repair job.
Could cost from a few hundred, upwards of a thousand depending on severity of the damage.
Thanks for the reply hotkarl,
How can I get an estimate on how bad it is ? Should I pay for a termite inspection done to check it out if we can get a better idea ?
If yes, then how much will the inspection cost ?
Also the garage is attached to the house but is on the outside (there is nothing above the garage). So will it cost me big $$$ if I get the pro's to do it ? I'm not a Do-it-yourself kinda guy

Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,378 times
Quote:
i have a similar situation with mine too, one of the walls is popped out on the bottom and isnt attached to the slab anymore (in the center), from a combination of rot, and also looks like someone hit the corner of the garage and pushed it in a few inches. the frame is wood and the walls and roof are metal, would i be able to have someone take off the metal panels and replace like normal with wood and siding??

Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 PM

I have a nice picture of the area here I got from my engineer (great guy)....
Basically there is no live infestation, but there was one at some point. Also the engineer cannot get behind the base moldings (outside wall of the garage) so he cannot determine the extent of the damage.
If I hire a termite inspector can he find out the extent of the damage without removing the molding ? Will it be too much to ask the seller to remove it temporarily for us to see ?

Also on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you see this to be a deal breaker ?

1=No big deal
10=forget the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Rotten Sill plate under garage-sillplate.jpg  

Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 PM

82 posts, read 189,484 times
Hi,I'm a 30 year carpenter and currently a project manager. Trust me when I tell you if this is a small area of sill plate say 10' of less it is a $300 repair. If it is bigger or travels up the wall it could run you up to five or six hundred. If it is wide spread get a contractor or carpenter to look at it for and exact amount for a sellers consession. If you feel you getting a great price on the house dont let it hold up the deal. Even in the worst case I would be very suprised if it ran more than 1k. Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az2Ny View Post
Hi,I'm a 30 year carpenter and currently a project manager. Trust me when I tell you if this is a small area of sill plate say 10' of less it is a $300 repair. If it is bigger or travels up the wall it could run you up to five or six hundred. If it is wide spread get a contractor or carpenter to look at it for and exact amount for a sellers consession. If you feel you getting a great price on the house dont let it hold up the deal. Even in the worst case I would be very suprised if it ran more than 1k. Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:59 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Couple hundred if not too bad.
Sellers wont be too crazy about ripping off sheetrock and exposing walls and more damage etc...
It's a crapshoot. If the rest of the house is fine and at a good price, then go for it and deal with the garage as soon as you can.

I bought my current house with a few bad spots on the garage sill. Repaired it myself.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Couple hundred if not too bad.
Sellers wont be too crazy about ripping off sheetrock and exposing walls and more damage etc...
It's a crapshoot. If the rest of the house is fine and at a good price, then go for it and deal with the garage as soon as you can.

I bought my current house with a few bad spots on the garage sill. Repaired it myself.
Great.... thanks for your time and comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island