U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charles Wang's Lighthouse?
Just Build It 25 75.76%
No way 6 18.18%
Who cares 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 AM

4,431 posts, read 7,617,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
I don't understand the "trees being brought down" concern..to me it is currently a hideous asphalt desert with a few buildings in there.

From what I see there will actually be more trees..
now:

With project:
I didn't mean in that specific area. My point was that here in Suffolk County, empty lots are bought, trees cut down, buildings built and stores move in. However at the same time there are empty office/stores available and no one moves into them. This led to my trees being brought down comment. So basically that is wasted office/store space that is waiting to be used.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 AM

13,141 posts, read 15,407,220 times
The industrial park I work in looks to have close to 30% vacancy rate...at this point, we don't really need more office space on LI. We need more companies.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 AM

4,431 posts, read 7,617,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The industrial park I work in looks to have close to 30% vacancy rate...at this point, we don't really need more office space on LI. We need more companies.
That's exactly my point. And if a company does come in, 9 times out of 10 they build a brand new building.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 AM

28,453 posts, read 16,364,201 times
"all the money is coming from wang"........wrong, only partially and only for the construction,,, not the rest of it,,,and wang is STILL looking for investors to FUND this project.

understand INFRASTRUCTURE??building this huge thing with 'luxury apartments, low wage apartments, retail stores, a 'canal', a trollie, etc will ADD cost to the infrastructure of the state, county, town and district
YOUR taxes (town/county and state) pay for garbage..police...water...sewe r..fire...schools... electricity for municipalities (to include street lamps), BUSES (hmm MTA is alreay cutting back services and raising fees),. etc
it doesnt address:
increase in garbage...TOH is already backlogged on what to do with their solidwaste.......the extra garbagemen and their trucks and where to refine it (the burning plant is already at max capacity,landfills are CLOSED, and we SHIP our garbage to other states)

the already overburdoned electric grid..to include all the ' extra''municipal' lighting.....the extra load on the electric grid, the LIPA says is maxed out already (remember we prevented shoreham)...(lipa BUYS power from PA and CT..and lipa is raising rates).......who will pay that bill????...THE TAXPAYER AND YOU WILL ALSO SEE IT IN YOUR RATE INCREASES

the already overburdoned sewer systems(toilet water) on long island....The sewer (waste treatment plants) have been for years saying that they need more and newer ones (ceder creek is so overused look at all the waste that get dumped into the bay (right back into the aquifers).QUOTE from supervisor of cedar creek """With the condition of the plant, I question its ability to handle the extra sewage.""" ........just where will all the sewage get dump/treated and who will pay for it????....THE TAXPAYER

the already overburdoned aquafers on long island....the water supply that is vital to all of ling island (our natural aquafer is already overused, and getting more polluted(look at all the studies on the overusage of fertilizer on LI))......where will the extra water/purification of water come from???......THE TAXPAYER

the already overcrowed schools in uniondale/east meadow....uniondale and east meadow schools are overcrowed (especially since they were studid in the late 70's and early 80's with removing schools (like newbridge road school and mcleary jhs..and what did they do?? built more housing...big mistake).....so where would all the kids from these low-wage and luxury apartments go to school??........even the article mentions the 6000 page 'study' says 'around' 300 new students---and the supertentant of uniondale says "we are at max capacity now".......who is going to float that bond (and pay for it)for new schools?????..... THE TAXPAYER

the already overburdoned (and now possible facing cuts) Police dept...WHO will pay for this????...THE TAXPAYER

the already in red fire departments...the extra firemen(yes they are volunteers,,,but look at the 'consolidation' talk), firehouse, trucks (to include a truck to handle a highrise)....where will that money come from??...THE TAX-PAYER

Mass transit...practicly non-existant on long island (mta is cutting back, lirr is cutting back)(and they say "express shuttle to the Mineola train station"....funny they didnt mention the CLOSER westbury station) so who will pay for this....THE TAXPAYER

or the fact the the construction jobs are just TEMPORARY, and all the actual jobs it creates are just LOW PAYING retail jobs....especially during a hurting (look at fortuneoff and macy's) economy
or the fact that it DOES NOT actually build a NEW colliseum, but just REFURBUSHES the old one,
THESE QUESTIONS ARE STILL NOT ANSWERED

more apartments equal more people, crime, water usage, sewer, garbage....that is FACT
where does the COST of more policemen/cars, firemen/trucks, garbagemen/trucks, electric lines and streetlamps, toilet sewage treatment, schools/treachers/buses come from......YOUR TAXES....that is FACT
DO you 'want' to take the chance to believe the SPIN from DEVELOPERS and INVESTORS REBULD A COLLISEUM, not this MONSTROSITY

I am a long islander currently in the army stationed at ft. bragg, nc---I want to see improvements---but this thing sounds like a nightmare in the coming. building is nice but without the infrastructure improvements being done FIRST, it wont work. here is a question---why would it create so much more office space, when 25% of the office space on LI is empty as it is( the omni building is 40% empty)

here is what I think

1. build the bridge/tunnel to ct First
2. improve the garbage problem first
3. improve uniondale and its overcrowed/under achieving schools first(then MAYBE people might want to send their kids to that school)
4. improve OUR electric grid (to include a small nuclear plant and massive individual solar) first
5. figure out (maybe connecting to NYC and the upstate resivours)how to save our hurting natural aquafurs
6. build/improve our sewage systems (more people equal more flushes of a toilet)
7. build a complex that will not only keep the ilanders but might bring the Nets (or anyother basketball team) back to the island
8. stop the RETAIL ROT--meaning the loss of ATTRACTIONS to retail stores (ie nunlies becoming a pepboys, levitown roller-rink and mini golf becoming a rockbottom/pepboys, both movie theaters in east meadow are gone, the drive in is gone(I know it didnt make that much movey, but I enjoyed it)

I've watched 'developers' destroy too many things..........90% of the time the 'artist' rendition is not what the final product looks like.....90% of the time , the progect takes longer and costs double.

and scott rechler has a FAILING record:

1. There's nothing but a pile of dirt on the site along the Long Island Expressway in North Hills where Scott Rechler's Ritz-Carlton luxury development was supposed to have begun rising two years ago.
2. Chill winds sweep over empty flats in Bridgeport, Conn., where he and his partners were to remake the skyline with a $1.5-billion district of chic waterfront condos, shops and yachts.
3.In White Plains, another company took his corporate nameplate off 14 prized buildings last month, and replaced it with their own. And in Princeton, N.J., neither a cherry-paneled atrium nor concierge and saunas have drawn a single tenant to the five-story office building he opened almost a year ago.
4. a bridge loan RexCorp had taken to help buy its tri-state-area suburban portfolio came due last summer, and Rechler said the banking crisis left him unable to refinance it.
5. in Baltimore, where Rechler had taken on another, nearly completed $250-million Ritz-Carlton development, on what he called distressed-asset terms, after the waning appetite for high-end luxury had already begun making itself felt. It opened last summer, but just 17 of its 192 condominiums had been logged as sold in Maryland state records last week - Rechler puts the number at 21.

and this is the guy with wang that's going to build this thing!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 AM

2,940 posts, read 7,726,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I don't see any trees at that location right now. Just the old run-down Nassau Colloseum.
Westchester has more skyscrapers (White Plains) and has much more trees than Nassau.
I support the Lighthouse project. Nassau needs a high density smart growth area. I just hope that this includes frequent bus and rail service, because it will be a mess if they plan on everyone driving.
It'd be nice if they could fix up Hempstead too. Nassau needs a "city" like Westchester's White Plains.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Ok one problem I see is that there seems to be a lot of office space. There are a lot of empty buildings just in Suffolk County alone that advertise office space. And how affordable will the residential buildings be?

What I'm basically saying is that if they go ahead and build all this, will half of it stand empty? If so, then to me its a waste.

Like I said, I see trees being brought down to build new offices/stores while ones that are already built are just standing there waiting for someone to move in.
There are no trees there, it's all vacant lots. LI could use nicer hotels. The Marriot in Uniondale has loads of problems with their crappy Dover elevators.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
And also what's been happening in Yaphank.
That's woodlands near sensitive ecosystems. What is Yaphank near? Nothing except the LIE and a train that runs twice a day.
Levy's proposal is a great development in the wrong place. Pilgrim would be a better location since its near more roads, in an already developed area, and has access to the LIRR.
There's also a huge vacant lot eyesore between the LIRR and Mechanicsville Rd in Bay Shore.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Neither is the project within the borders of the Village of Westbury; but, they, too, are making noises about getting some of the property taxes that will be generated from the project.
The same Village of Garden City stopped plans to the LIRR extending service to Uniondale via the Garden City spur.
That village is nothing but NIMBYs. I'm amazed they haven't tried to stop the N15 and N35 buses from running through.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The problem is companies dont want to move to LI because A)there's nowhere for their employees to live B)there's no really good walkable areas with good public transportation
Look at places like White Plains and Stamford. They have a city style layout with places for young folks to live. They have good public transportation via Metro-North, so even folks in the city can easily commute to work.
The LIRR may be decent for folks working in the city, but try traveling to work in Deer Park for instance from NYC. There's only 2 trains going east to Deer Park in the morning, and 2 going west in the evening. If you miss the 4:45pm out of Ronk, you have to wait till 7:13pm!
Things are a little better in Hicksville and Mineola but by no means as good as Metro-North's service.
Companies want a place where there employees can live and get to work. LI doesn't provide that very well, unless you consider living in a 500K house and driving to work and sitting in traffic everyday.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 AM

9,341 posts, read 27,486,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the already overcrowed schools in uniondale/east meadow....uniondale and east meadow schools are overcrowed (especially since they were studid in the late 70's and early 80's with removing schools (like newbridge road school and mcleary jhs..and what did they do?? built more housing...big mistake).....so where would all the kids from these low-wage and luxury apartments go to school??........even the article mentions the 6000 page 'study' says 'around' 300 new students---and the supertentant of uniondale says "we are at max capacity now".......who is going to float that bond (and pay for it)for new schools?????..... THE TAXPAYER
According to a recent NEWSDAy article, Wang has already pledged to give $4,000,000 to the Uniondale Union Free School District (includes the Hamlet of Uniondale and the Hamlet of East Garden City) as soon as the project gets governnental approvals and the necessary permits are issued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island