U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charles Wang's Lighthouse?
Just Build It 25 75.76%
No way 6 18.18%
Who cares 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:54 AM

405 posts, read 1,068,887 times

Advertisements

For or against the Lighthouse development project in Uniondale?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 PM

3,351 posts, read 8,861,864 times
I'm all for it. It amazes me when people who want to make major investments on Long Island are thwarted at every turn.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:16 PM

4,296 posts, read 7,413,409 times
If its just going to be a big hotel, why bother? We've got plenty of them already and they don't even fill to capacity.

Now if it was affordable housing, that would be a different story.

My only problem with this eyesore is that once a huge structure like this is allowed, there's no stopping LI from becoming like NYC with skyscrapers, asphalt, cement and no trees or grass.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM

4,320 posts, read 7,561,706 times
I like the overall idea...but there are certain things I disagree with. For example, I think they should completely rebuild the coliseum instead of renovating it. Also, if I recall correctly, the design didn't include a LIRR stop which to me is ridiculous.

In general, I'm for it...I just hope they get it right.

I'd also like to see them pull this off without allowing crooked politicians, the mob, and the other usual suspects to line their pockets while its being built.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
My only problem with this eyesore is that once a huge structure like this is allowed, there's no stopping LI from becoming like NYC with skyscrapers, asphalt, cement and no trees or grass.
I don't see any trees at that location right now. Just the old run-down Nassau Colloseum.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:45 PM

405 posts, read 1,068,887 times
Quote:

25% of the residential units could be classified as "affordable housing"

Some numbers from the Lighthouse Development Group:

New Project Development:

• 8 million square feet for the entire 150 acres
  • 5.5 million square feet of new development
  • 2,300 new residential units
  • 300 new 5-star hotel rooms (617 existing)
  • 500,000 SF of new retail space
  • 1,000,000 SF new office space (1.6 million existing between RexCorp Plaza and Omni)
  • 200,000 SF of new convention/exhibition space (in addition to the existing 113,000+ SF)
  • 650,000 SF of new Coliseum and sports complex space ( in addition to the existing 400,000+ SF)
Housing

• 20% of housing (460 Units) will be next generation on-site housing
  • 5% of housing will be rentals (50% for students and 50% for seniors)
  • Over 1,700 market rate units (1,2,3 Bedrooms-lofts to luxury)
Economics:

• $3.74 billion estimated development cost; labor costs estimated $2.2 billion. These wages will generate the standard federal and state taxes plus provide spending dollars into the local economy for the badly needed sales taxes.
  • Over 75,000 construction and support jobs (almost 15,500 and almost 60,000 respectively) will be created over the estimated 10-year build period. Each construction worker will work on-site for a part of the total construction time; therefore direct hires are about 31,000 jobs.
  • Almost 19,000 permanent jobs (full and part-time; on and off site) will be created at full build out. These jobs will generate payrolls of more than $725 million dollars annually. These wages will generate the standard federal and state taxes plus provide spending dollars into the local economy for the badly needed sales taxes.
  • Over $71 million of annual property, sales and entertainment taxes on full build out.
  • Over $61 million of property tax revenue annually from the Project ($43 million new). Out of the new tax dollars, the following numbers are projected
    • $25.34 million to Uniondale Schools
    • $6.08 million to County Police departments and headquarters
    • $3.03 million to Town Refuse, Garbage and Disposal districts
    • $1.54 million to Town Fire department and Prevention fund
    • $1.38 million to the Town Highway department
    • $1.08 million to the Town Park district
    • $1.03 million to the County General fund
  • Coliseum alone will generate over $250 million in sales and entertainment taxes over the next 25 years to the County and the State.
  • Jobs are badly needed now. The Town and the County have almost a 6% unemployment rate which translates into 45,066 and 79,539 respectively, of residents looking for work. Unemployment clearly has a trickle down effect to spending (sales taxes) and housing foreclosures (home values).
  • Without the Islanders, Coliseum will likely not exist. County has to financially support it now and will cost more money without primary tenant and facility continues to age. Thus, Long Island residents will have to travel to NYC, NJ and CT for their entertainment options (spending captive dollars in those locations). The Coliseum tenants (NYI, NYD, entertainers, etc) account for more than $250 million in goods and service purchases.
Traffic and Transportation:

• An unprecedented comprehensive traffic and transportation study (extending 6 miles from the Coliseum) has been in progress for over five years. The study includes addressing;
    • The existing traffic and transportation conditions within the study area
    • Evaluating potential Impact: to traffic and transportation
    • Potential Mitigation: opportunities
  • An extensive data collection program
    • Traffic counts were taken at 268 locations, including
      • 49 intersections and
      • 219 on the roadway itself
    • NSP, SSP, WSP and LIE mainlines and interchanges were also studied
    • Scopes of work provided to LDG by TOH, NYSDOT and Nassau County.
  • Results indicate:
    • Project site is already well served by underutilized LI Bus system
    • Area has congestion, at peak periods, with or without the Lighthouse Project
    • 18 roadway improvements were suggested to be implemented by full build of project
    • A Traffic Demand Management program will be implemented that provides for and encourages the use of alternate transportation (e.g. trolley, shuttle bus, pedestrian bridges, existing mass transit promotion, bike paths, carpool networking)
    • $55 million of Developer money will be spent on traffic and transportation initiatives to mitigate traffic

Old 08-04-2009, 02:00 PM

4,296 posts, read 7,413,409 times
Ok one problem I see is that there seems to be a lot of office space. There are a lot of empty buildings just in Suffolk County alone that advertise office space. And how affordable will the residential buildings be?

What I'm basically saying is that if they go ahead and build all this, will half of it stand empty? If so, then to me its a waste.

Like I said, I see trees being brought down to build new offices/stores while ones that are already built are just standing there waiting for someone to move in.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM

732 posts, read 1,578,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I'm all for it. It amazes me when people who want to make major investments on Long Island are thwarted at every turn.
And then those same people have the nerve to complain about the infrastructure.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:39 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,071,929 times
Quote:
If its just going to be a big hotel, why bother? We've got plenty of them already and they don't even fill to capacity.

To echo Tom's sentiments all I see is concrete blight at the moment...not sure what bucholic forestry is being destroyed to build this out.

Why can't this area be like a White Plains, etc, which is equal parts business and balanced by suburbs. Same can be said for Stamford, CT and the surrounding (and quite affluent) neighborhoods. They never turned into NYC and are quite desireable locations. Although vacancy rates are a challenge right now you could argue that it is Long Island's lack of business amenities that makes it an undesireable place to have a business...what areas on long island are known as great areas for young white collar professionals to live/work? Zero...it is a major problem for a region that holds less and less appeal/affordability for coming generations. When was the last time anybody heard about a company from outside of this region relocating to Long Island...NEVER. Everybody leaves...First Data Corp (all but nonexistent), OSI Pharma, Olympus, Nikon, Del Labs, Cendant (Avis), and on and on and on...

So if nobody will ever bring new business to the island it is essential to create facilities and a few hubs that will incubate and grow local businesses. I am simply amazed at this regions ineptitude to accept large corporate dollars for projects - unless it is 5k in a brown paper bag to get a house built. Canon USA has been begging the local and state politicos to build on their 54 acres near 110 for 2+ years. It is a 650 million dollar building!! It is supposed to house 3000 employees. Still nothing there but grass. I was at the public meetings on this two winters ago...ridiculous. Charles Wang may be a crook (cough cough CA) but this idea has merit and its about time.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Another example is the redevelopment of the Pilgrim State Hospital property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island