Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:22 PM

164 posts, read 457,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLIGuy View Post
Nice to meet you as well. I was back there in 2001 and, very briefly, in 2008. I went to the cd shop on Merrick Road. I was amazed to see George Comb's Bait Shop is still there. We used get our bait there before fishing on the Great South Bay.

I moved from Amityville when I was in junior high school, back in 1979. It is suprising that the school district went down academically. It used to be a very good district for academics. Teachers were tough and did not take any bs. I guess everything changes, and sometimes not for the better. I currently reside in Austin, TX due to my career. If it wasn't for my wife's career, I'd move back to LI as I miss it alot. I have alot of fond memories of Amityville. Too bad they got rid of the ballfields and built condos on Sunrise & County Line Road. I hit a few home runs in those fields when I was in Little League.
wow..you have not been around here in a long time! Do you still have family here??

yes, some places still stand..lol we all use Georges bait shop Condo's..they are every where! My son played soccer there and I was also sad to see it go. What caused the SD to change is the kids who attend there are from N. Amityville & E. Massapequa who come from problem and less fortunate familes. They do not get help and guidance at home and the teachers can't be the sole educators. It starts at home no matter where your kids go to school. The kids do not do well and bring the scores of the schools down. Park Avenue school is beautiful! They remodeled the entire school (took four years) They were actually thinking of making it a charter school, but they voted it down ( N. Amityville, E. Massapequa) ..that was a shame, it would have been much better.

My cousin moved to Austin TX three years ago and she loves it, will never come back to NY.. we are planning to go out there on the kids winter break next year,,can't wait! ( haven't been there yet, heard it was a beautiful place!) You know you can always come back, even if it is years to come..never say never
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:35 PM

438 posts, read 830,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitygirl View Post
wow..you have not been around here in a long time! Do you still have family here??

My cousin moved to Austin TX three years ago and she loves it, will never come back to NY.. we are planning to go out there on the kids winter break next year,,can't wait! ( haven't been there yet, heard it was a beautiful place!) You know you can always come back, even if it is years to come..never say never
Unfortunately, no. My siblings are spread across the USA and my nearest relatives live in West Babylon and Oakdale. My Dad now lives in Queens and in Montauk during the summer.

Austin is nice and yes..some of it is really pretty. You are wise about coming here in the winter. This place has been hot as hell since May. We've had nearly 50 days of 100+ degree heat. And we still have August and September to get through. Meteorologists are saying this is Austin's hottest summer ever. Makes me want to move even more. I miss those afternoon summer breezes on LI

Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
True XLI the trailer parks are filled with the eldery and people who just can't afford to have a reg. home..at least these people have a roof over their head and not living on the streets homeless...

They do not have anything to do with our values here, that is a fact. Somes homes sold over a million (not on water) when the ecomony was better... I think that has effected all of us, not a trailer park, even if it may be an eye sore to some.
While a million dollars is impressive, there are places comparable to Amityville South where homes have sold for more...possibly due to the absence of trailer parks...as well as other variables. However, I would bet if the trailer parks in Amityville were demolished, the value of everyone's homes (yes, yours too) would rise.[/quote]

what actually holds the value down here is the SD. When most people look for homes, the first thing they want to learn about is the SD. When they see high taxes and not able to use the school, they think twice about taking that on, or paying top dollar for a home. It's a lot of money. Believe it or not you really need it to live here because of this. The people who do live here are either born and raised here and stay, or people who do not buy for the SD because they would always send their kids to catholic or private school no matter where they live. You will get a good buy here because of it..

not every town sell houses over a million with out being on the water, so for here, with out a good SD, that is pretty good. The trailer parks will probably always be right where they are..the only way I can see them be gone is if some developer offered the owners a lot of money to sell out.

Not to get on a Levy kick..but he tried 2x's to put the homeless in the old Brunswick Hospital that closed down and the village has fought to keep them out of here..I was very grateful for that.

I will always say Amityville is a very safe, beautiful place to live regardless of surrounding areas. Our PD is to thank for that. And I am not saying in any shape or form it is the only nice town out there either..there are many towns I love. It's ok that some would never live here, we all like what we like in life.. I just wanted to clarify it is not as bad as some people make it out to be. There is good and bad every where..that is how long island is... I am sure Massapequa is not happy having E. Massapequa near by, or the north fork having Riverhead and greenport, in many different areas we have good and bad. I am just tired of Amityville being labeled as it is. Again, that was the point of my first post

Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLIGuy View Post
Unfortunately, no. My siblings are spread across the USA and my nearest relatives live in West Babylon and Oakdale. My Dad now lives in Queens and in Montauk during the summer.

Austin is nice and yes..some of it is really pretty. You are wise about coming here in the winter. This place has been hot as hell since May. We've had nearly 50 days of 100+ degree heat. And we still have August and September to get through. Meteorologists are saying this is Austin's hottest summer ever. Makes me want to move even more. I miss those afternoon summer breezes on LI
It's hard when your family is spread out for sure, but at least you can always come back home to family when you visit. Montauk is wonderful, good for him!

Wow..Austin is hot! here we had a lot of rain, it was horrible and depressing..we lost all of June ...This past week it was hot here..not as hot as Austin! Today is it cooler with light rain...thats why i am on here so long....

keep cool!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:41 PM

518 posts, read 1,817,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitygirl View Post
As I have read posts obtaining to Massapequa, I found many that insinuated the down side of some areas in Massapequa that it was near Amityville, or borders it.
its because there's brown people there. in case u havent noticed, thats a big no-no to most of this forum

Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,491,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But wouldn't you say the trailer parks have something to do with that? It's not about race, you're right, but fact is, many people in amityville are poor (as well as rich/middle class etc)...and the poor can have a negative effect on a school district...ex. hempstead, freeport, etc.

"there really aren't any negatives?"...sorry but a trailer park is a pretty biiiiig negative. i would not live in a town that had trailer parks in it...even if I was living in the "good part"...but that's me.
So you wouldn't live in Syosset?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Their trailer park is on the way out now that someone new bought the land out from under the trailers.

I was surprised that Syosset had one and when I saw that, I said to myself, "This won't last ... "

I was right.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
..that is right! There is a trailer park in Syosset... I totally did not even think of that It has been there for a long time as well.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM

518 posts, read 1,817,475 times
there are trailor parks in Bohemia and Holbrook, and those are both very nice areas.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 PM

I guess you will see them in various places, good or bad... I honestly think it's better for the lower income people to have a roof over their heads instead of living out in the streets homeless. There is also one in Calverton..I am sure there are more out there than we probably even know about...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island