Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 08:16 AM

748 posts, read 2,877,802 times

Advertisements

We were told by the police that having neighborhood watch signs could be a deterent for crime, since burglars try to avoid neighborhood watch areas. But does it make sense to request signs from the town? It seems like only high crime areas actually have these watch signs. Will having a neighborhood watch sign decrease real estate value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,848,166 times
We have them in Levittown, and this definitely isn't a high crime area...so that notion isn't too accurate.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,513,222 times
No, actually it is a good deterent. The bad guys know there is a good cohesive group of people that are watching the neighborhood.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 AM

270 posts, read 966,805 times
Are there actual requirements the town needs before providing a neighborhood with such signs? If no, and this is a proven deterrent, wouldn't it make sense to just put these signs up everywhere?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Yes, the town does need proof of an active neighborhood watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
Are there actual requirements the town needs before providing a neighborhood with such signs? If no, and this is a proven deterrent, wouldn't it make sense to just put these signs up everywhere?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,277,441 times
You can get a sign for your own house, I think...my friend doesn't actually have an alarm system but she had a sign outside her house saying her house is alarmed (even tho it isn't)...like from slomins or something...but I don't know where/how she got it.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 AM

Its actually illegal to post alarm signs if you do not have the alarm. ADT / Slomins can potentially sue. If many people start doing this, then the idea of having alarm signs as a deterrent is no longer valid.

Its the same with Neighborhood watch signs.. you need permission from the town and proof that you have an active neighborhood watch.

Rachel, I heard that Levittown had a string of burglaries and recently started a watch program ( Levittown residents start neighborhood watch program ). How do these watch signs look? Do they say Levittown in them or is it a geneiic sign? Was it provided by the town?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,191,003 times
I think having a neighborhood watch program would be better than just having signs that say so! Valley Stream has had a civillian's patrol organization for several decades now (Valley Stream Civilian Patrol).

Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM

We have established an active neighborhood watch, but before applying to have neighborhood watch signs, I want to get general opinions to see if having signs is a good idea. While it may be a deterrent to a potential burglar, I would not want to scare off a potential buyer.. since some people seem to think that a "watch" area means that the area has higher crime ( though it has no relation, this perception might have meaning since people are not going to educate themselves about a neighborhood watch just because they see a sign).
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I think having a neighborhood watch program would be better than just having signs that say so! Valley Stream has had a civillian's patrol organization for several decades now (Valley Stream Civilian Patrol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island