Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 AM

13 posts, read 161,133 times

Advertisements

I live in New Hyde Park. I am in an area where due to proximity to trains and shopping, lots of people are renting their 2nd units.

I want to convert my Mother/Daughter house to legal 2 family home so that, I can rent it without a hassle. I am ok to pay higher taxes for 2 family.

Is there a way to do this? What are the probabilities of accomplishing this?

Please suggest or PM me.

thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,507,081 times
If you want to do it legitimately you'll need a permit from the town, so why not just go straight to the source instead of an anonymous internet forum? Better yet, hire an architect who is experienced in doing this type of job in your town. You're going to need one to do the plans.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguycalif View Post
I live in New Hyde Park.
If your property is in the Village of New Hyde Park, then contact the village; if your property is in part of another community that has a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address, then contact either the either the Town of Hempstead or the Town of North Hempstead, as the case may be.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in a house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 03-06-2011, 10:00 AM

127 posts, read 744,660 times
First I would make sure my mother/daughter set-up is 100% legal. If it is not you will open a can of worms by inviting in the town even though your intentions are above board. I have heard horror stories of people getting screwed hard even though though they are only askign questions in an attempt to make things right. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,507,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snad5393 View Post
First I would make sure my mother/daughter set-up is 100% legal. If it is not you will open a can of worms by inviting in the town even though your intentions are above board. I have heard horror stories of people getting screwed hard even though though they are only askign questions in an attempt to make things right. Good luck!
He's asking how to legally convert his one family home to a M/D....how he can do it LEGALLY without involving the town? He can't.

OP - this is my point. People on internet message boards don't even take the time to read your question properly - just save yourself the hassle and go right to the source. You'll get 10 different answers and even more OPINIONS from the posters here.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 AM

9,915 posts, read 23,020,357 times
Quote:
I want to convert my Mother/Daughter house to legal 2 family home so that, I can rent it without a hassle. I am ok to pay higher taxes for 2 family.

Just wondering if you're talking about a legal accessory apartment or an actual legal 2.
  • With a legal accessory apartment, you as the owner have to live in one of the units.
  • With a legal 2, you can rent out both - the owner does not have to live there.
Accessory apartments are a lot easier to get approved.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:38 AM

9,915 posts, read 23,020,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
He's asking how to legally convert his one family home to a M/D....how he can do it LEGALLY without involving the town? He can't.

OP - this is my point. People on internet message boards don't even take the time to read your question properly - just save yourself the hassle and go right to the source. You'll get 10 different answers and even more OPINIONS from the posters here.

Hmmm, this is what I read:

quote: I want to convert my Mother/Daughter house to legal 2 family home so that, I can rent it without a hassle. I am ok to pay higher taxes for 2 family. unqote

He's not asking how to convert his one family home to a M/D... Reading Just sayin'...

Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Just wondering if you're talking about a legal accessory apartment or an actual legal 2.
  • With a legal accessory apartment, you as the owner have to live in one of the units.
  • With a legal 2, you can rent out both - the owner does not have to live there.
Accessory apartments are a lot easier to get approved.
Yes. This is exactly what I am looking for. I will continue living in one unit and plan to rent the 2nd floor which is currently setup as M/D but has no permit.

Q. What are the requirements for setting up legal accessory apartment?

The house already has 2 gas meters,
2 heating zones, 2 water heaters and 2 boilers. It has 1 electric and 1 water meter but separate electric sub panel 2nd floor. All this has been there since last 20+ years. I understand this was done by previous owners with proper permits since they used it as legal M/D.

The house is located in New Hyde Park 11040 (outside the village of NHP) and is part of North Hempstead Town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Hmmm, this is what I read:

quote: I want to convert my Mother/Daughter house to legal 2 family home so that, I can rent it without a hassle. I am ok to pay higher taxes for 2 family. unqote

He's not asking how to convert his one family home to a M/D... Reading Just sayin'...
You are right! I am asking how to legally be able to rent the existing 2nd unit in my home (which was already setup as M/D).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snad5393 View Post
Yes. I am worried about exactly same thing. Its easier to ask question in a forum instead of going to town and getting in to trouble.

Last edited by shyguycalif; 03-06-2011 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 12:14 PM

I was reading some more about Accessory Apartment in Town of North Hempstead and stumbled across this article. This Article is specially focused on Town of North Hempstead.

Does this article mean that one cannot have legal accessory apartment in Town of North Hempstead?

The Battle over accessory apartments

"On Sept 22nd, the town board voted unanimously to repeal the law."

Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Quote:
The house is located in New Hyde Park 11040 (outside the village of NHP) and is part of North Hempstead Town.
Then, according to the Nassau County Planning Department, and as agreed to by the Census Bureau, you do not live in New Hyde Park. Regardless of the community named in your house's mailing address, only those places actually in the Village of New Hyde Park are in New Hyde Park.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island