Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM

38 posts, read 94,274 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to do some research for a senior citizen I know that is on a very fixed income and barely making ends meet. Is there any public assistance program that a senior could apply for that I'm unaware of?

She owns a house and her only income is $700 a month from social security. As you know, this is very little amount to pay for Long Island taxes and all the other monthly bills. She barely eats any food because she can't afford it. So I will look into applying for food stamps.

She's looking into a reverse mortgage, but is a little skeptical about the whole process. Also considered selling the home, but the value is only about $200,000 and probably wouldn't last long enough to pay rent somewhere else.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
My grandma's friend gets meals on wheels delivered to her apartment. I'm not sure what you need to qualify for it, but it's great. That way you know at least they are getting food...and hopefully eating it. Not to mention, my grandma's friend lives alone, so it's nice too to have someone that comes to check on her.

This women lives in Queens, so I'm not even sure where one would go to find out about it in Nass/Suff. Maybe call town hall?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM

36 posts, read 104,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitterChatter View Post
I'm trying to do some research for a senior citizen I know that is on a very fixed income and barely making ends meet. Is there any public assistance program that a senior could apply for that I'm unaware of?

She owns a house and her only income is $700 a month from social security. As you know, this is very little amount to pay for Long Island taxes and all the other monthly bills. She barely eats any food because she can't afford it. So I will look into applying for food stamps.

She's looking into a reverse mortgage, but is a little skeptical about the whole process. Also considered selling the home, but the value is only about $200,000 and probably wouldn't last long enough to pay rent somewhere else.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

Would she consider retirement housing? Rent is on a sliding scale based on income (doesn't matter what you have in the bank)

Wartburg Lutheran Services

Wartburg Retirement Communities – Kings Park
Martin Luther Terrace
Located in Kings Park, Long Island, Wartburg’s Martin Luther Terrace Retirement Community is a Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly Program, offering 114 one-bedroom garden apartments plus a variety of services that ensure excellent quality of life.
Private residences include:
  • <LI class=bodyCopy>living/dining area <LI class=bodyCopy>full kitchen with refrigerator and gas range <LI class=bodyCopy>bedroom <LI class=bodyCopy>full bath <LI class=bodyCopy>emergency call bell system
  • smoke alarm
Services include:
  • <LI class=bodyCopy>wellness program <LI class=bodyCopy>intergenerational programs with local schools
  • lectures and workshops on topics of interest
Occupancy Requirements:
Occupancy is limited to very low-income elderly. The head of the household or spouse must be 62 years of age or older.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:29 PM

36 posts, read 104,785 times
A good food resource which is open to anyone

https://www.angelfoodministries.com

There are currently 4 locations on Long Island

DIX HILLSDix Hills United Methodist Church631-499-1940

MASSAPEQUABETHEL CHRISTIAN CHURCH516-541-5375
631-840-7932
SEAFORDUnited Methodist Church of Seaford516-785-8877
516-785-8877
WESTBURYDBA: CrossBridge Church/Long Island Bible Baptist516-334-1832

Old 04-27-2010, 03:54 PM

38 posts, read 94,274 times
Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions, as I will offer them to her.

I'm not sure if she will go for the retirement housing though. I know it may sound greedy, but she really doesn't want to give up her house that she's been living in for almost 50 years. She's a very active senior and has been taking on odd jobs to help pay the bills, but it's a shame to have to work at her age and the job offers have been slowing down any way.

Any more suggestions? Does the government offer any monetary assistance for seniors similar to welfare, but allows you to own a home.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
LIPA has HEAP - financial assistance with electric bills; with her limited income she'll qualify. Running out right now, I'll try to give more info later.

Also, I don't know what Town she's in, but some have great senior centers. In Huntington, you can get a hot lunch for $2!! Decent portions and it's a balanced meal... Seniors who can't finish it, take the rest home...

Old 04-27-2010, 04:16 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Alot of times you can contact the Red Cross and they can provide you with info. As for housing i'd check into co-ops, townhouses and condos which could be much cheaper and usually better for taxes. For food stamps she would probably have to go through social services. Also have her check AARP because they have tons of contacts for insurance,etc...

Old 04-27-2010, 04:20 PM

118 posts, read 280,416 times
Quote:

I'm not sure if she will go for the retirement housing though. I know it may sound greedy, but she really doesn't want to give up her house that she's been living in for almost 50 years. She's a very active senior and has been taking on odd jobs to help pay the bills, but it's a shame to have to work at her age and the job offers have been slowing down any way.

Any more suggestions? Does the government offer any monetary assistance for seniors similar to welfare, but allows you to own a home.
With a bit of research and effort she could find one or two people to rent a room in her home. When I went to college I stayed with a young couple for a semester, it benefitted them because of the extra income, and benefitted me because they charged less than the dorms. She might want an older settled person rather than a student, but it all depends on her.

I am not sure she will qualify for a large amount of government assistance if she is active and healthy but renting a room out might give her just enough extra income so she would not have to work to stay in that home.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:

From what I have heard if the recipient of "welfare" owns a home, there is a lien placed on the home and when the home is sold, all the money must be paid back.

If you are a "have" (a homeowner or someone with other investments) the government will not give you a handout and allow you to keep your assets free and clear on top of that.

Why does she want to keep up with the expenses of this house when, since she lives alone, she could downgrade to something much smaller with lower taxes?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:47 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
People don't necessarily like change but sometimes it's the best thing for them, and not an unusual circumstance when one gets older. Subsidized senior housing (usually a waiting list) apts take 30% of your income and include rent, heating and cooling. Often there are meal centers onsite too. They provide the possibility of other seniors for friendships and a manager to look in on you. Plus they're fitted for senior safety and have activities.

Owning a house when you can't afford one is not a good idea. What happens when the roof needs replacing? Are there handbars in the bathroom? It is possible to subscribe to one of those necklace services where you press a button for help if you fall but they too cost money in addition to utilities, taxes, and house repairs. Offer to help her move to senior housing and get food stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island