U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 PM

4 posts, read 16,931 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am located in California and considering applying Stony Brook University for graduate school. I did a little bit of research on this school, but am still unsure. I want to know what anybody can tell me about this school.....good, bad, the reputation, anything useful at this point before I decide to apply. Also, which nearby city/town I should consider moving to which would be safe and affordable (grad school can be expensive ). Thank you in advance for your help!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 06:42 AM

3 posts, read 18,532 times
Hi Patsai805,

Stony Brook University is a Wonderful School! I have an Undergraduate degree from there, and will obtain my MSW in the fall from Stony Brook as well.

The only issue I would have with Stony Brook is the location. They have classrooms in Manhattan, but most are held on the main campus and in South Hampton. Reputation is good; nothing to complain about. What you get out of Stony Brook and any school for that matter, will depend on your major, and your overall academic expectations.

As far a living arrangements, you should look at Stony Brook's off campus housing page.

OCH: Welcome to Off Campus Housing

You can Start looking for places

Cold Spring Harbor

HUNTINGTON

Greenlawn

Northport
Kings Park

Smithtown

St James

Stony Brook

PORT JEFFERSON

Any other info you need just DM me, and I'll be more than happy to help you.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 AM

7,658 posts, read 17,891,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsai805 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am located in California and considering applying Stony Brook University for graduate school. I did a little bit of research on this school, but am still unsure. I want to know what anybody can tell me about this school.....good, bad, the reputation, anything useful at this point before I decide to apply. Also, which nearby city/town I should consider moving to which would be safe and affordable (grad school can be expensive ). Thank you in advance for your help!!!!!

Great school/area.

Theres some rentals/shares to be had in town.

If youre willing to go 15-20 min east to Sound Beach you may be able to score a bungalow with beach rights.

Best of luck

Crooks

Old 08-12-2009, 07:52 AM

9,341 posts, read 27,615,078 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

Patsai805, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "cities" and "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Stony Brook is a hamlet in the extreme northwest part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the central part of Suffolk County.

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

When you do find a place that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 AM

7,658 posts, read 17,891,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RentingintheBronx View Post
Hi Patsai805,

Stony Brook University is a Wonderful School! I have an Undergraduate degree from there, and will obtain my MSW in the fall from Stony Brook as well.

The only issue I would have with Stony Brook is the location. They have classrooms in Manhattan, but most are held on the main campus and in South Hampton. Reputation is good; nothing to complain about. What you get out of Stony Brook and any school for that matter, will depend on your major, and your overall academic expectations.

As far a living arrangements, you should look at Stony Brook's off campus housing page.

OCH: Welcome to Off Campus Housing

You can Start looking for places

Cold Spring Harbor

HUNTINGTON

Greenlawn

Northport
Kings Park

Smithtown

St James

Stony Brook

PORT JEFFERSON

Any other info you need just DM me, and I'll be more than happy to help you.
Whoa!
Easy on the CSH/Huntington/Greenlawn/Northport...thats a hike.
(ask a local)

Id go from maybe Kings Park to Rocky Point on the North Shore.
If you are going to be using the Hamptons campus too
Id stay east of 112.

Crooks

Old 08-12-2009, 08:24 AM

122 posts, read 368,625 times
Patsai805,

I work at Stony Brook and am now completing my graduate degree here.

When it comes to graduate programs, academic reputation depends on the area of specialty, so it's hard to generalize. That said, Stony Brook does have some top-notch programs, and the campus is becoming more attractive every day (well, except for all the construction).

Stony Brook is exurban, with a small village that has a coastal, New England-y feel to it. Some people find it charming, others will find it claustrophobic. There are not many apartment complexes in this area, and the ones that exist are pricey. Most grad students take a share of a house, rent an apartment in someone's else (quality is highly variable), or they live on campus in graduate housing (there is a building of singles, but most are shares). Crooks is right about Sound Beach. Many students live there because they can find some good deals.

If you want nightlife or culture, be prepared to drive to points East or West, or take the train into the city. As a student, you can find discounted passes to shows and excursions into Manhattan.

The on-campus food is improving--with lower prices and many more healthy options. Off-campus dining is...well, it's not a college town, so there's not a huge choice of cheap eats. There's decent tex-mex and good pizza.

Best of luck with your applications.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 AM

341 posts, read 1,453,296 times
I received a BA and MA at Stony brook back in the mid 90's. I also grew up in the area.

As far as the school goes, as mentioned... it depends on your specialty. I received my degrees in History/English and Secondary Education. At the time I went, the English department was way understaffed and an administrative nightmare. You have to really stay on top of your paperwork and make sure you don't get bad information. Case in point... I transferred from Hofstra, where I had been an American Studies major, because it had gotten too expensive. The transfer office at SB looked at my credits and said they would transfer as English, so that should be my new major. Problem was, when I went to graduate, the English chair declared that these were Humanities courses and not English courses. On top of that, I had to take an "intro to lit" course at SB, since every English major must - even though I had just been a TA in the next level lit course! I graduated with 140 undergrad credits and a double major. Long story, I know... but it illustrates the kinds of things to be careful of at a school as large as SB, where the health sciences get more love than the liberal arts depts.

That said, there were some very bright people there and I received a good education. Just be prepared to drive your own train when it comes to getting things done from an administrative standpoint and get anything regarding your requirements in writing.

As to the town... nice villages in PJ and Stony Brook. Lots of rental housing and I'd suggest staying local. Convenient train (if slow) to get you into NYC when you want. Great beaches... fantastic fishing if that does it for you.

good luck!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 AM

13,174 posts, read 15,504,987 times
You can get a run down room in a share for relatively cheap. Just be aware that this is NOT a real college town. The campus is 50% commuters from LI, and of the other 50%, half or so are people who live in NYC and go home on weekends. Of the half left over there, about 40% are Asian nationals who tend to hang with their own..you get the idea? The campus population is huge, but when it comes down to it, you're going to be dealing with about 500 or so people when it comes to campus life ..big campus look, very small campus feel. I managed to get a house share for a few years with people from all over the world that was quite enjoyable, but the place was a slum.

Hopping back and forth to NYC on the train is REALLY slow (like over 2 hours?), not so terrible if you have a car.

They've improved the way the place comes across a lot..when I went there during the 90's, we were voted the second most depressed college campus in the US behind some land-locked place in Missouri, namely for most of the reasons I pointed out above and the fact that it was a giant mass if inhospitable concrete designed to quell student uprisings of the 60's. They've planted more trees and turned half the academic mall into grass instead of concrete, which was a nice touch.

You probably should visit before making a final decision. A good education can be had there, but as someone else said, don't expect anyone to give you much guidance..you're pretty much on your own there with administrative matters.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 AM

748 posts, read 2,703,300 times
From an academic point of view, I know that Stony Brook has excellent mathematics and computer science departments. It is one of the top schools in the country for pure math ( differential geometry / topology etc). Jim Simmons, the famous hedge fund manager is a visiting prof here and has contributed a large building for pure math.

But if you are comparing Stony Brook to schools in California, California has some great schools and graduate programs that might be better than Stony Brook. Stanford is obviously the best in computer science, and many schools in the university of California systems are as good if not better than Stony Brook.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,101,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
From an academic point of view, I know that Stony Brook has excellent mathematics and computer science departments. It is one of the top schools in the country for pure math ( differential geometry / topology etc). Jim Simmons, the famous hedge fund manager is a visiting prof here and has contributed a large building for pure math.

But if you are comparing Stony Brook to schools in California, California has some great schools and graduate programs that might be better than Stony Brook. Stanford is obviously the best in computer science, and many schools in the university of California systems are as good if not better than Stony Brook.
Also very good in applied physical sciences (marine and atmospheric physics, also atmospheric sciences (meteorology). One of the best programs in the nation based on the number of graduates that get decent paying jobs in the meteorology field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island