Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:08 PM

518 posts, read 1,816,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I wish they would build a motorsports park as well. I would definitely race there. I miss the Hamptons 1/4 mile track. People on Long Island would never stand for it though. It is a shame.
there is SO much money that is being spent on the MTA bridges and tunnels and NJ from people who race who have to drive to NJ to do it. but for some reason, people think the noise from a race track over a half mile away is going to be waking them up on sunday morning or something. u will have worse noise pollution from the dog next door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,302,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
there is SO much money that is being spent on the MTA bridges and tunnels and NJ from people who race who have to drive to NJ to do it. but for some reason, people think the noise from a race track over a half mile away is going to be waking them up on sunday morning or something. u will have worse noise pollution from the dog next door
Wasn't Suffolk Meadows once a race track?
I do think there should be a race track on LI, but not in the pine barrens. Again there's plenty of vacant, developed land all around Suffolk, esp at the Pilgrim site, which has the bonus of being near the LIE and Sagitos, and not far from Sunrise Highway.
Also what about the Riverhead Raceway? Is that not a race track?
Another location of decay is the Bellport Outlet Center, I think it's mostly vacant now. There's so much abandoned, decaying property on LI, why the need to bulldoze woods?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 PM

874 posts, read 2,868,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Public football and baseball fields need to be mowed and fertilized, right? Maybe some insecticide too. That will runoff into the groundwater. I guess you wont mind Yaphank Road turning into bumper to bumper traffic everyday. I guess you dont mind that the worsening traffic on Long Island creates pollution, contibuting to higher asthma and cancer levels.
Just look at Route 58 in Riverhead, and all the traffic means more garbage at the side of the road, which will wind up in the pine barrens.
So you have BNL, a dump, and a power plant nearby, so that justifies adding even more pollution to the environment. At least BNL, the power plant, and the dump dont clog the roads with traffic. Habitat loss is a major problem on Long Island. You probably are the type to complain about the deer in your yard, but they along with other animals were forced out of their habitat by its destruction.
I produced this video, and I think I did a pretty good job on getting my point across. There will always be a few people who dont see how this project harms the environment. Just like when Route 58 was changed. But you see the results of that, dont you?
As far as what the civic association did, yes, that was mean, perhaps considered extortion. But dont let that cloud your mind to the damage this project will cause the environment.
There are plenty of other, better locations for such a project, that sit in decay. They could be used to gentify areas in Suffolk that are suffering, like Brentwood, Medford, CI,etc.
This is a good project but in the wrong place.
For one thing I do not complain about deer in my backyard at all. I get rabbits, deer, moles and other animals in my yard and it does not bother me. I am not the type of person that looks for a pristine yard so I tend to fertilize very little. Basically, I just do some weed killer once a year.

For what you say they are proposing, I do not see Yaphank Avenue being bumper to bumper traffic all day long either. As it stands now there is never any traffic on Yaphank Ave. Any idea of what sort of events they are supposed to have at the 5,500 person arena?

I really do not see this impacting the environment the way you seem to think it will.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:11 PM

874 posts, read 2,868,815 times
Riverhead Raceway is a very small circle track. What I would like to see is either a large oval track or a road coarse. What I would really like to see more than anything is another 1/4 mile drag strip.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 PM

518 posts, read 1,816,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
Riverhead Raceway is a very small circle track. What I would like to see is either a large oval track or a road coarse. What I would really like to see more than anything is another 1/4 mile drag strip.
yea even a small 1/4 mile strip would make a ton of money and keep a ton of money here, and at least start to help keep the kids off the streets.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:31 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,126,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Not to get off topic, but how is Medford suffering?
You should ask OP but IMHO the 112 Corridor in Medford is awful.
Especally with the demise of Automotive and the recent and significant undocumented influx.

Truth be told Patchouge Villages gains have very much been at Medfords expense.
Dont get me wrong Medfords no CI, but shes losing ground quicky.

A Transit Oriented Devopment/Intermodal would be a fantastic shot in the arm for the area plus it would help finance the schools(which have clearly lost their way).

Just one mans opinion.

Crooks

Old 08-14-2009, 04:02 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,389,439 times
I def agree about having the transportation hub, and the schools getting worse, but i have not seen Medford get better or worse since 1996. Well anyway this should be going on in another thread. Sorry OP.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:37 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,982,455 times
The people who oppose all development on LI seem to think they are saving it. They aren't, they are making it worse. The type of development that SHOULD be opposed is the type that went on in Mt. Sinai the last 10 years....huge housing developments with no infrastructure what so ever.

If you just leave LI the way it is, what's going on in Medford is exactly what will happen to more and more sections of LI, and you'll have really rich people in one town, and people living 10 to a house in another who cut their lawns and flip their burgers.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:25 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,332,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Wasn't Suffolk Meadows once a race track?
I do think there should be a race track on LI, but not in the pine barrens. Again there's plenty of vacant, developed land all around Suffolk, esp at the Pilgrim site, which has the bonus of being near the LIE and Sagitos, and not far from Sunrise Highway.
Also what about the Riverhead Raceway? Is that not a race track?
Another location of decay is the Bellport Outlet Center, I think it's mostly vacant now. There's so much abandoned, decaying property on LI, why the need to bulldoze woods?

Suffolk Meadows was a horse track and would be a great place to put a race track.
The Calverton site is awesome too.
Bellport Outlets is not nearly large enough. I take it you've never been to a NASCAR track.
Riverhead Raceway is pimple on Riverhead's butt. It won't last. It's a tiny little track anyway.
West Hampton 1/4 mile was shut down a few years ago to build one of those senior citizen housing developments. No environmental impact there..
The nice thing about a race track is it is VACANT more than it is open! People are too dumb to realize this though.

I asked earlier and you did not answer: WHO OWNS ALL OF THE DECAYING SITES YOU SPEAK OF? Do you think the county can just take the Bellport Outlets (For example) and build on them? SOMEONE OWNS this land. You can't simply look at an unused parcel of land and say, "Hey, let's use this instead of that"

Old 08-14-2009, 07:37 PM

999 posts, read 2,352,028 times
Oh sure they can......they could enact eminant domain and be done with it quicker then you can find out about it...

We have told levy many times there are other areas he could play with for his terrible vision...

Yaphank would be a perfect center location for a road course and drag strip...

Noise...never killed anyone...noise abatement is ahead of it's time....however some local civics are bigots and not willing to learn anything new....or even listen for a moment, we offered to bring them to a new facility and stand outside while i go watch the racing and they strain there ears to hear noise at a new sound abated facility.
But as someone else stated they will go door to door and LIE!

The property in yaphank is SURROUNDED by Heavy Industrial...the property levy wants is ZONED heavy industrial...
The property is Surrounded by a Jail, LI Compost, the new Power Plant, Gruccis complex, police dept, Fire training station, Brookhaven landfill, and the # 1 topic everyone is keeping quiet EXCEPT US is the entire property is Contaminated... and i have the EPA's study and there watching it leach across streets into neighborhoods... there major toxins, not just your usual bs

What embicile would want to put people to live in and around and on such issues.

I agree with the need for a motorsports facility that can have a few events a year and bring in an easy 500 mil for about as many days in 1 month...

Problem is Stupidity, it's rampant out here...

As for the ever decreasing lack of trees pointed out by some blind Liar earlier....

Lets go for a helicopter ride over long island, then i want you to tell me about the decreasing trees on long island...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island