Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:08 PM

302 posts, read 961,371 times

Advertisements

I'm in contract on the house in suffolk and just trying to figure what my taxes will be. The current owners taxes are about 9k/yr and they pay about 8k with STAR. Should my taxes be the same or will they be reassesed? Do I get STAR automatically? if im paying 6 months tax up front at closing do I pay 6 months at the 9k/yr rate or at the rate with STAR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:35 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Your school taxes will go up every year if the budget passes.

My property taxes were under $5K when I moved in to my house 12 years ago, now they are $12K, mmost of it because of school taxes. It costs me $1,000 a month to live in my house even if I didn't have a mortgage. That's a $600 a month increase just in taxes, but it's actually more because the bank takes more for the escrow account. I also used to pay $650 a month in HO insurance, now it's $1500. Again - more for the escrow.

By the time I retire they will probably over $20K, hence my status I do live in Nassau, but I grew up in Suffolk...my parents and sister lived in Suffolk until very recently and their taxes also went thru the roof in recent years. My parents paid about $3K a year up until recently, the people who bought their house pay over $10K.

Ask your future neighbors how much they've gone up over the years - that is your best indicator.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:48 PM

153 posts, read 606,059 times
you don't automatically get the star, but you have to apply for it. You'll get it after a year of living there.

You can call the town and see what the actual taxes are. The previous owner of my house had not only the basic star, but an enhanced star because they were older. Also from the time they listed the house, the taxes had gone up since it was on the market for so long.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,224 times
if the previous owner has already paid the remaining taxes for the year at the star rate, thats what u will pay for the current year since they are already paid to the town, u are just paying the current owner back. otherwise u have to apply for star on your own for it to continue

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Doesnt the town of Brookhaven reasess taxes based on the new sold price?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Doesnt the town of Brookhaven reassess taxes based on the new sold price?
They did not reassess when we moved in. I was reassessed as part of a grievance that I filed this past year. We paid over 125K less than the assessed value...so I can't imagine they would be chomping at the bit to reassess me.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
I'm in contract on the house in suffolk and just trying to figure what my taxes will be. The current owners taxes are about 9k/yr and they pay about 8k with STAR. Should my taxes be the same or will they be reassesed? Do I get STAR automatically? if im paying 6 months tax up front at closing do I pay 6 months at the 9k/yr rate or at the rate with STAR?
In Suffolk, unless you make changes to the house, your assessment generally stays the same; your tax RATE will vary and usually goes up.
You do not get STAR automatically; you can apply for STAR any time between now and March 1st, which is the cut-off day for Suffolk County. The basic rate varies from one school district to the next, and also fluctuates from year to year. You can either go to your local Town Hall or check their website to see if they have the form online - Suffolk has seven different Towns and each website is different...

Congratulations - hope your closing goes smoothly

Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Welcome to Long Island where your taxes will rise, rise, rise and then rise again. My taxes go up a noticeable amount each year in Suffolk County. This is not going to change any time soon in Nassau or Suffolk. My wife can't move more than 50 miles from her ex since she has two children from that marriage. In about ten years she will be released from the 50 mile prison and we will be free to move far, far away from here which is something we will definitely be doing.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 AM

302 posts, read 961,371 times
Thanks everyone. Hopefully they will realize that they are driving everyone out of NY and slow down the tax hikes.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
They did not reassess when we moved in. I was reassessed as part of a grievance that I filed this past year. We paid over 125K less than the assessed value...so I can't imagine they would be chomping at the bit to reassess me.

Was the $125,000 less from that years assessed value? Or was it off the assessed value for that years taxes?

Brookhaven might be a little different, but in Nassau County the taxes are based of the assessed value of two years prior (or a year and a half for the school taxes).

For example the upcoming school year (09-10) and the 2010 Town and County taxes will be based off the assessed value of Jan 08. This years assessed value (as of Jan 09) will be used to determine the 2010-2011 school taxes, and the 2011 Town and County taxes.

Also as far as Nassau is concerned if your house is recently sold it is one of the factors used into determining the assessed value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: