Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitygirl View Post
We switched to Verizon recently. When I called cable to disconnect they offered me 88.00 a month. That included two free boxes for the kids rooms, one DVR box, movie channels, run all new cable wire from the pole into the house , on top…they would pay the Verizon disconnection fee. (179.99) This deal was offered for two years.. believe? I turned them down. It was almost too hard to pass up but they were a little too late to do the right thing. Before Verizon came around, they did not care about their customers one bit. Funny , I was welcomed back with open arms in his exact words. When my husband took our boxes back, he said the line was out the door.
Yeah they did the same thing to me, but there's no way I'd ever go back with Cablevision. Now if it was Time Warner cable it may have been different, but Cablevision is one of the worst, most sleezy cable companies in the nation.
Its nice to have the channels I have been missing. Only channel I lost in the switch is News 12, which I could live without anyway. Fios is rock solid reliable. No nightly box reboots, no pixelation, no problems whatsoever.
Cablevision CANNOT compete with Fios with their overloaded "some fiber+lots of coax" system. CV has limited bandwidth, in busy, crowded areas is when it suffers the worst. Maybe if CV started converting their system to Fiber maybe they'd have a chance to compete. Other companies like Time Warner constantly upgrade their channel offerings, CV does not.
Fios kills Cable in internet speeds as well, especially with uploads. Videos used to take 5-10 minutes to upload, now they upload in a minute or less. The phone service is excellent, no garbled or dropped calls.
Sure you may hear about customers who switched back to cable, but the majority have stayed with Fios. I am always reading the boards at dslreports.net and the Optimum message boards are filled with unhappy customers while the Fios boards have much less complaints. The most common one is billing.
And BTW I had loads of billing probs with Cablevision. Once when I moved they charged me for a missing cable box and modem, but they were returned and I had to argue with them on the phone and get them to look up the proper info and correct it!
Cablevision is one of the WORST providers in the nation. All those folks who switched back can enjoy the limited channel line-up, outages everytime there's storms, and erratic internet speeds.
The contract doesn't bother me, it keeps my price the same for 2 years. Cable doesn't have a contract so they can raise their prices whenever they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 05:58 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Cablevision is the best!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:03 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
FIOS since February. NO issues with anything.
Had a few minor problems right after the install, and they immediately fixed everything for FREE.
I keep waiting for the wacky bill to come because I keep hearing about terrible billing problems, but so far, mine are right on the money every month(pun intended).

They charge you for a few one time only fees, but they spread the payments out over the course of a few months, so the bill does vary during that period.
Since then, my bill is the same every month.

Very satisfied.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:10 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I really cannot understand why you'd rather deal with outages, pixelation, slow TV box, and one of the most limited channel line-ups in the nation just because of some billing problems.
Even if I had billing problems I'd never, ever go back to Cablevision. I wouldn't go back to CV even if it was free.
Cablevision Optimum is garbage. Fios is rock-solid reliable, no outages, everything works perfectly and NO PROBLEMS. Cablevision was never like that. Sure CV offers bargain basement prices to get their subscribers back, but dont forget the old saying, you get what you pay for
sorry but I dont need to worry about fios ripping me off every month. too many of my friends got ripped off and had to call and complain. why go with a company that gives you so many problems?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
sorry but I dont need to worry about fios ripping me off every month. too many of my friends got ripped off and had to call and complain. why go with a company that gives you so many problems?
I haven't had any problems. Unlike with Cablevision, which I was complaining about every day!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 PM

164 posts, read 458,236 times
when I had cable service, my phone constantly went out. I had to re-boot and wait for a dial tone, we had dropped calls, people could not hear me at times, so I had to hang up and call back. I asked them if they can come out to the pole and check the connections, they never did. They raised my bill a few times. We were due for a 20.00 hike this month. It would of been 180- something. We only had one box, a DVR . The kids have cable ready TV's so we never got them boxes, we have them now with Verizon. My bill is 131.00 a month with multi room DVR and the kids have their own boxes.

When cable first had phone service you weren't able to keep your number. When they were able to change it and you were able to keep your number, we switched. Two weeks later, the triple play came out for 99.00 a month. I did not get this deal so I called. They would not give it to me. I told them I only had their phone service for two weeks, they told me it was for new customers who add the phone service.. I told her I am new, she told me I already had my phone before this promotion came out and there was nothing they can do. Back then, you did not have another choice..now we do and I am glad we were able to finally get rid of them. I will never go back. (even with the 88.00 a month..they can keep it, a little too late in my book... it's a shame they did not appreciate their long time customers until they had competition. I do not mind being locked in for two years while I am guaranteed the same price... I did ask about the after the two year price and Verizon told me they want to keep their customers and they will offer any promotion that is being offered ..

Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,452 times
optimum since february, internet is fine, never had any tv or internet outages. dont use the phone much at all but havent had a problem. the channels do change slow, not that big a deal since i always look thru the guide, dont flip channel to channel. dvr box never had any problems with freezing or anything, the non dvr box however does seem to freeze up the first time u hit the guide after midnight. thats the only complaint i have, and its minor

Old 08-20-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I haven't had any problems. Unlike with Cablevision, which I was complaining about every day!

do you check your monthly statement? are there added charges there that you werent supposed to be there? if not, there will be.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:51 AM

6 posts, read 26,736 times
I wonder if everyone is aware that Cablevision leases Verizons Fiber Optic backbone in the NY area? So when you pay Cablevision, you are paying both companies whether you like it or not. At least with Verizon you're getting the Fiber Line right to your house, and you're not paying two companies. With Cablevision, they are splitting the bandwidth at a hub X,000 feet from your house and making you share that bandwidth with hundreds of your neighbors and compressing data to fit it thru the old copper wires.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio61 View Post
I wonder if everyone is aware that Cablevision leases Verizons Fiber Optic backbone in the NY area? So when you pay Cablevision, you are paying both companies whether you like it or not. At least with Verizon you're getting the Fiber Line right to your house, and you're not paying two companies. With Cablevision, they are splitting the bandwidth at a hub X,000 feet from your house and making you share that bandwidth with hundreds of your neighbors and compressing data to fit it thru the old copper wires.
um, no. the wires are owned by cablevision. they spent years putting them up, years before fios even came to long island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island