Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times

Advertisements

All of the bay houses are privately owned. I believe that if one is destroyed (fire, hurricane etc) that they cannot be rebuilt. There was one just west of the Meadowbrook Bridge into Jones Beach that burned down about 5 or 6 years ago, now it is just empty an spot between 2 others. Honestly, I do not know if they can even be sold anymore. For some reason I recall that they can only be left by a will or something to that effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 12:44 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
All of the bay houses are privately owned. I believe that if one is destroyed (fire, hurricane etc) that they cannot be rebuilt. There was one just west of the Meadowbrook Bridge into Jones Beach that burned down about 5 or 6 years ago, now it is just empty an spot between 2 others. Honestly, I do not know if they can even be sold anymore. For some reason I recall that they can only be left by a will or something to that effect.
It could be different in Hempstead, but in the Town of Islip (the only official documentation I've ever found) the homes themselves are privately owned but the land underneath belongs to the town.....they also had that "keep it in the family" clause you mention, though. I know the environmentalists have had it out for these things for a long time.....which is what I suspect to be the reasoning for those laws.

Personally, it seems to me like there are so few of them at this point, what possible damage could they be causing? I don't know if there's any effort towards it, but I hope they get put on the NRHP or something similar.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:46 AM

15 posts, read 42,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
It could be different in Hempstead, but in the Town of Islip (the only official documentation I've ever found) the homes themselves are privately owned but the land underneath belongs to the town.....they also had that "keep it in the family" clause you mention, though. I know the environmentalists have had it out for these things for a long time.....which is what I suspect to be the reasoning for those laws.

Personally, it seems to me like there are so few of them at this point, what possible damage could they be causing? I don't know if there's any effort towards it, but I hope they get put on the NRHP or something similar.
Very, very little, assuming the homeowners are responsible and respectful. As is the case with most liberals, these people (environmentalists) simply need something to always be complaining about. It's like they always need to justify their existence.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 AM

87 posts, read 174,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

Bay houses on marsh islands in the south shore bays of Nassau County, Town of Hempstead, are privately owned homes, grandfathered in and can only be passed down thru family. If destroyed, can not be rebuilt - rehab work ok.

Houses can not be sold to general public.

Besides the row of houses along the east edge of Meadow Island there are a dozen or so more houses scattered all thru the bays from the Atlantic Beach Bridge to the Wantagh Pky. Use Google Earth.

Some are actually used all summer long with owners and family commuting by boat.

One can beach ones boat nearby and enjoy the area but do not trespass on properties.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickylobster View Post
Bay houses on marsh islands in the south shore bays of Nassau County, Town of Hempstead, are privately owned homes, grandfathered in and can only be passed down thru family. If destroyed, can not be rebuilt - rehab work ok.

Houses can not be sold to general public.
Damn...looks like I'm gonna have to marry into one of those families

Old 01-11-2010, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 58,850 times
FYI - Once or twice a year over the summer, there are tours of some of the bay houses.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWSmom View Post
FYI - Once or twice a year over the summer, there are tours of some of the bay houses.
That sounds neat. Do you know where one can find the information on this? I would love do a tour of one of them! And I live in Long Beach, so I'm very close by! Any info is appreciated.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 PM

10 posts, read 58,850 times
It was in the paper as so/ething to do. I believe the tours were early and late summer

Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM

87 posts, read 174,790 times
I can give tours leaving from point lookout

Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,677 times
For more info on the bay houses of go to Long Island Traditions - South Shore Estuary Site and Long Island Traditions - South Shore Estuary Site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island