Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 PM

55 posts, read 177,104 times

Advertisements

My neighbor has a large evergreen that overhangs my garage. The acorns, branches and leaves fall and damage my garage. Do I have a claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 02:46 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,647,998 times
Probably not. But what you do have is a mess to clean up on an ongoing basis - just like we have.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,116 times
We too have lazy neighbors that do not take care of their propety.
Only now that they want sell their home do they realise how property values are effected by their selfish, lazy, cheap, self centeredness lack of responcibility mentality effect others.
I love watching them work on their home now...it's come full circle. Maybe they get it now.
Wow, it took them now needing to put a tone of money and hard work to sell their home to realise that when you purchase a home... more than likely you will need to do be a responcible neighbor. Sorry I am a little/very frustrated.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 13,295 times
Default Neighbor Trimmed Tree

My next door neighbor hired a crew and cut down all the shrubs in her yard that provided a natural fence surround her entire back yard. It now looks like a vacant lot. It looks horrible and now all the noise from the street is heard by me and other neighbors. I think it depreciated our property, but not sure. I have several trees that are close to the property line. One of the trees had a fabulous canopy shape to it and was beautiful when it had leaves and small flowers. It is not a nuisance tree because the blooms are very small. I always haul off any twigs and branches that fall. When I came home from work and saw what had been done to her back yard (OMG!) I went out and looked at my trees. They had "trimmed" my beautiful canopy tree to the point that it has an odd shape now. They trimmed it all the way around. There is no way that they can claim this tree was a nuisance and needed to be trimmed. I am livid! It will take years for it to grow it's shape back. I really don't know what to do because I am so angry. Help!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 AM

703 posts, read 1,175,826 times
That's terrible. I'd suggest a wall of arborvitae or leyland cypress planted about 1 foot inside of your property line so you don't have to look into their derelict yard or hear the road noise.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:01 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,186,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
That's terrible. I'd suggest a wall of arborvitae or leyland cypress planted about 1 foot inside of your property line so you don't have to look into their derelict yard or hear the road noise.
They do grow fast and look nice, but 1 foot inside might be too close. I'd plant at least 18 inches, even better 2 ft from the property line, since they grow fast and will spread out sideways as well

Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,998,825 times
houses shouldin"t be as close as they are anyway

Old 02-18-2012, 02:04 PM

244 posts, read 540,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyinClinton View Post
They had "trimmed" my beautiful canopy tree to the point that it has an odd shape now. They trimmed it all the way around. There is no way that they can claim this tree was a nuisance and needed to be trimmed. I am livid! It will take years for it to grow it's shape back. I really don't know what to do because I am so angry. Help!
While "good neighbors" would normally ask your permission to trim stuff hanging over their yard, it's not required. The real problem is how lop-sided the tree is now and what that will do to it's stability.

As for the road noise, it's up to you to plant something that will help that - or put up a stockade fence.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:07 PM

6 posts, read 13,295 times
I am considering Leyland Cyprus. I've already researched fast growing privacy trees/bushes. Still don't know what to do about my beautiful tree that they "trimmed" into an ugly shape. I'm hiring a surveyor to find the corner pin so I can mark my property line. I'm sure the tree is on my side, but probably not far enough into my parcel to ensure that none of the branches hung over into her parcel. The whole thing makes me want to move on several acres so I don't have to mess with inconsiderate neighbors.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 PM

703 posts, read 1,175,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyinClinton View Post
I am considering Leyland Cyprus.
check out dart tree farm online for leyland cypress (it's out east on the north fork). they came and planted the trees and installed a feeder hose irrigation system to ensure they wouldn't die and would grow fast. their prices are not the cheapest but the trees are very healthy and ours grew at least a foot since last spring. if you really want a wall of greenery, consider two staggered rows of trees.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island