Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:20 PM

62 posts, read 205,581 times

Advertisements

Sean

You have a good point about the "South" VS. I had a long conversation with ToH about my "location". My deed reads Gibson-Hewlett (no longer a legal designation) but my area is considered North Woodmere but since North Woodmere doesn't have a post office (Woodmere does) my mail facility is Valley Stream and the USPS designates my address as south valley stream. So , I am confused about the whole zoning thing.Whatever they call it , I pay the village tax because the VS sanitation dept picks up my trash. As far as challenging my taxes, the assessor has the appeal and the last time they said my house was valued at $765K ... I would sell in a second for $100K below that LOL

C

I prefer Gino's to both of those pizza places , not to mention it was walking distance. As far as people saying that the amenities and neighborhoods are better in LI all I have to say is ... I lived in Queens for 30 years and never had a negative thing to say about it , I've been here less than 3 and can carry on a conversation about negative things for hours

SGC

Old 09-13-2007, 04:40 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
sgc - Maybe my understanding of how the "village" jurisdiction works but I didn't think South VS (or North VS) were incorporated, just hamlets in the ToH linked to Valley Stream proper in geography and name alone...but you live there, you'd probably know better than I do. Is it possible you live south of Sunrise Highway but also east of Mill Road? Cuz that isn't South Valley Stream even though it is "south" Valley Stream.

In any case that's insane that your taxes have doubled in two years...have you challenged it? That just seems downright criminal. I wouldn't be too thrilled with Valley Stream if I was in your shoes either.

Also I don't know Queens as well as I know Nassau (born in Levittown...lets go Islanders), Rosedale and S. Ozone Park were the two that came to mind -- and I didn't mean any negative connotation by that because I've got nothing but good impressions of both. I've got a bunch of friends in Howard Beach and that's a great town too...I'd rather live there than Valley Stream, I'd rather live there than most places to be honest...between New Park and Lenny's I'd probably put on a solid 50lbs though.

clamboy - Most people on the south shore don't have a bad attitude except maybe the 5 Towns area or the super-wealthy parts of Massapequa. North shore absolutely, outside of the scenery I don't like it much up there at all and I know that's not the way it is in north shore Suffolk either. I like it here, the beaches the bars...I even kinda like that it is a little bit congested, I feel out of place sometimes out in Suffolk. I like having people around, and when it gets to be overbearing I just take a ride up and down the Ocean Parkway to clear my head.
Broad Channel is awesome.

The restaurants on the way out to the Rockaways are great.

C

Old 09-13-2007, 05:37 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
sgc - I looked it up cuz I was curious...that whole area is confusing as hell. The Valley Stream area south of Sunrise Highway breaks down like this...

Village of Valley Stream - Green Acres Mall and everything east of Mill Road...then there's also an extremely tiny area that runs along Hungry Harbor Rd. that is in the village for no reason apparently, but it is. The South Valley Stream Post Office serves everything south of Sunrise, so this is 11581 and has a South Valley Stream mailing address.

South Valley Stream - Small unincorporated section that is roughly bordered by Green Acres Mall, Hook Creek Blvd., Hungry Harbor Rd., Park Ln. and Mill Rd. This area shouldn't pay village taxes, it's a hamlet in the ToH....but since 11581 is also the postal code for parts of Valley Stream and Woodmere most people probably think this area is a lot larger than it is.

North Woodmere - This is just a neighborhood in the hamlet of Woodmere which physically borders South Valley Stream and is also in the 11581 zip code, so I'm sure it's considered "South Valley Stream" too. I assume kids here attend Hewlett-Woodmere though?? Couldn't find any school district maps.

If your deed says Gibson-Hewlett than I would put money on it that you live in the Village of Valley Stream for certain, probably in that little tiny section I mentioned which really SHOULD be South Valley Stream. I wouldn't be surprised if the neighbors who live behind you get their trash picked up by the Town of Hempstead.

There's a Gino's in Howard Beach??

Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Valley Stream is Queens now.

Just go to the mall for 5 minutes and ask yourself if youd be comfortable there.

C
AMEN!!!! I've lived in VS for 27 years and the change is horrible! Gangs in the schools, crime rate rising, taxes rediculous! When I moved here the crime was there but nothing to speak of. Now the multiplex theater has metal detectors at the doors because of shootings!!! Nope, I'm moving as soon as I retire. The crime,congestion and high cost of living is driving me away.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:36 AM

Haha do you mean the shootings that happened once, 17 years ago?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:50 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
MORE than once. The first time was highly publicised and the only reason it hasn't happened since is because of the metal detectors. I've NEVER heard of a movie theater needing metal detectors and or armed guards. The crime has increased all over town. I've lived here 27 years and I can see it with my own 2 eyes. My neighbor's son was walknig home, 2 blocks away and was robbed at gunpoint by 5 guys. This is unacceptable to me. They have moved and so will I. VS is becoming more and more like the worst parts of Queens. As a matter of fact, it's now known by the teens as "Valley Queens". I pay high taxes for this? Nope, no more.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:38 PM

62 posts, read 205,581 times
C-
You consider Broad Channel awesome? As a whole broad channel is jokingly called "The Irish Riviera" and not sure if you know it or now, was once used primarily as a bootleggers paradise because there was no access to the "island" (before the 2 bridges were erected) without being spotted

Sean-

YES , there is a Gino's on Crossbay near 160 Ave ..and in my opinion it's the best pizza around. Also , you are correct that I live in that "tiny" area that has no jurisdiction and YES , the houses less than a block away get their garbage picked up by either Woodmere or Hewlett sanitation (TofH). While all 3 fire stations serve my block (which is definitely a plus) it's no comparison for a 24 hour fully staffed NYC fire station

Please don't take my negativity as a hatred towards either Valley Stream or Nassau county , I just find the price/tax comparison impossible to do because of demographics, proximity to the city and "free" amenities (I tried to join all 3 F.D. and was told that I couldn't because I was not able to give them a set number of hours per week, to which I replied that I need to work to pay my bills as a priority and my job is often emergency based and has no "set times")

SGC

Old 09-15-2007, 06:32 PM

sgc - Never noticed that Gino's...only one I ever thought was anything special was the one in Long Beach but even that isn't the greatest. I never had Lennys pizza either but I've had their calamari many times at 3AM and it is wonderful, I hear Vincents is even better.

I can definitely understand your frustration with Valley Stream, there's a lot of that going around all over Long Island. You mentioned you moved to start a family, so I assume the only reason you left Howard Beach is because I hear that school (think it's in Ozone Park) isn't too hot. Other than the schools being a little better and not having to deal with the floods every May, I totally understand the letdown. HB is a town that you can really say has all the benefits of NYC while still having a small town, communal feel...and these days the Belt traffic isn't even as bad as the Southern State!

Have you given any thought to relocating a little further east? Go even another 5 miles on Sunrise and you're pretty far removed from Queens. I'm biased because I grew up here and love it, but South Shore Nassau does have it's appeal and is unique from both Queens and the rest of Long Island. Different places work for different people though, I'm certainly not saying ones better than the other.

jeep - I think you're being a little dramatic. The most recent shooting was 17 years ago during Godfather III, it's a freak occurrence...these things happen everywhere. Growing up in Levittown/Wantagh/Seaford I knew a few people who were robbed at gun/knifepoint....one of my very close friends was actually robbed and beaten up so bad that he needed reconstructive surgery and a metal plate installed in his face, there are burglaries all the time. Does that make it an unsafe area though? Definitely not...I'd like to see some actual numbers that say the contrary about Valley Stream. It's ALWAYS been known as "Valley Queens"...L-town has always been known as "White Harlem" -- don't believe the hype, and if you do then just move somewhere else!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:41 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc from LI View Post
C-
You consider Broad Channel awesome? As a whole broad channel is jokingly called "The Irish Riviera" and not sure if you know it or now, was once used primarily as a bootleggers paradise because there was no access to the "island" (before the 2 bridges were erected) without being spotted

Sean-

YES , there is a Gino's on Crossbay near 160 Ave ..and in my opinion it's the best pizza around. Also , you are correct that I live in that "tiny" area that has no jurisdiction and YES , the houses less than a block away get their garbage picked up by either Woodmere or Hewlett sanitation (TofH). While all 3 fire stations serve my block (which is definitely a plus) it's no comparison for a 24 hour fully staffed NYC fire station

Please don't take my negativity as a hatred towards either Valley Stream or Nassau county , I just find the price/tax comparison impossible to do because of demographics, proximity to the city and "free" amenities (I tried to join all 3 F.D. and was told that I couldn't because I was not able to give them a set number of hours per week, to which I replied that I need to work to pay my bills as a priority and my job is often emergency based and has no "set times")

SGC
As I recall it was mostly Italian

I do prefer it to Valley Queens

C

Old 09-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
As I recall it was mostly Italian

I do prefer it to Valley Queens

C
Any place with houses built on stilts in the water is cool by me....also refer to Hamilton Beach and Ramblerville. I've heard all of the Rockaways referred to as "The Irish Riviera" too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island