Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 26,925 times

Advertisements

BluesJuke - I have all of the civic associates meeting notes from 1951/2 forward....the notes are very detailed with names and events....drop me a line if you want copies for reminicing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 02:21 AM

26,776 posts, read 15,022,542 times
Yes, that is what we are speaking of Swhitehurst. , on the N. Babylon side so far.

My great great Aunt, Alice Udall, was one of the Udalls for which Udall was named for, as they used to have an estate in the area.
I recall the Fire Dept. you mention well.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 AM

4 posts, read 26,925 times
I lost my grandfather recently and I got his badge...#2 (Frank Savoy). I just checked and was reading the original charter for the association. It is a crime and a shame what was done to that lake...all for the cause of tax's. I'm sorry if im speaking out of turn as I'm not sure what your stand is on it. My aunt wanted to fight Tom lazslo (sp) and a few others because all original owners in the area (as your family would know) had unrevokable rights to the waterway up to and including 10 feet into the waterway (both lakes) I can remember so many arguments about this...she finally gave up when the Garafolo's got involed...go figure. She used to joke that they sacred people that moved into the area that they had no rights or access to the lake - hence the rapid decline in the mid 80's. Feel free to throw some names this way, It's been real interesting reading all about the events and who did what in the late 50's 60's and early 70's.

Just looking at these original books and documents I have...I'm guessing these are the ONLY ones because it passed from family to family who was on the board of the association. Prob no one has seen these in 40+ years.....and there is such history in them....

I should work on POSTing someplace all of the original documents, pictures and such...

Who knows...maybe it would be of interest to some? any thoughts?

Scott

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM

10 posts, read 49,128 times
I'd be interested in the history of the neighborhood and the lakes prior to 1980. Our family bought our house on the corner of Weeks and Rhoda in 1972 - I believe the original owner's last name was Conway or something to that effect.

It's a shame that the 'public' property on the south end of the lake was eventually sold off to developers. It was nice having that access just a few blocks from home - especially when the lake froze in the winter - and just to fish/canoe on in the summer... and when we got older, horse around and party on the weekends.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 AM

I lived on that lake just about.
Skating and playing hockey even with floodlights from people's homes shining on the lake in the dark.

Once my brother pulled me out from under the ice when we were walking on it too soon (as we always did).
I could not find the hole that I fell through.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:01 AM

12 posts, read 37,486 times
Default would like information about the lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swhitehurst View Post
Ok..I need a little clarity and I may be able to Offer a lot more information. Are ANY of you speaking about the two lakes in west islip (natural springs BTW) that were damned. The main civic association was on the corner of KIMES ave and ran along the Southern State EXP? If this IS the two bodies of water you are talking about the I DO have some interesting and volital information. My family was one of the founding 4 members of the Deerlake civic association and ran that building on the property from 1951-1980. I have ALL of the meeting notes and deed copies that allowed everyone - even people that lived on brookdale ave access to both those lakes...The town took it over but illigally closed the lakes and prevented access to the public.. If any of this interests anyone I am very happy to share....
Hello i would like some information on the lakes as i understand in was in the house deeds ,we live on greenwood drive, that we would have the lakes as part of the community, i wondered why no body tried to stop the town from taking over

Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 PM

My Dad, Hank Muller, was heavily involved and even was a co-signer on loans for the Civic Association as well as serving for years as Lifeguard.

I miss that era of my life often.
What a great place it was to grow up.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,615 times
@ Swhitehurst... I still live on Deer Lake Drive and would like to speak with you about your post.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:12 PM

10 posts, read 49,128 times
Some historical maps and photographs of the neighborhood before it was built.

My guess is the Corbin house was there until the early 1900's, and the Guggenheim house was there until about 1950.

The lake itself was dammed sometime between 1888 and 1902 - during some research, there was mention of a mill - presumably where the lake outlet is on Kime Avenue.

Some historical notes...

On May 19, 1883 the barns and stables of Austin Corbin of North Babylon were on fire. The alarm telephoned to the Babylon Fire Department arrived in good time. Teams of horses were attached to the apparatus and the men travelled in wagons in time to save the main building. The cause was listed as careless use of matches in the paint shop.

1888 - Map shows Wicks property, small strip Austin Corbin along SS Parkway ROW (this could have been in error)

June 4, 1896 - Austin Corbin dies

1902 - Map shows Austin Corbin property (aka Deer Park Farm)
August 1902 - Arthur A. Houseman purchases Austin Corbin property and stock (horse) farm (~1,000 acres) in North Babylon
August 1907 - Arthur A. Houseman dies
1915 - Map shows Mrs. A.C. Houseman
1929 - Social Register listing Guggenheim address on Deer Park Avenue in Babylon - 600 acres... aka "Firenze Farm"
1933 - Guggenheim house damaged in fire
1941 - Hagstrom Map shows M.R. Guggenheim estate
1949 - Escaped patients from Pilgrim State Hospital found at Guggenheim Estate in North Babylon
1950 - Parkdale Estates built
1953 - Weeks Road School built
1962 - Parliament Place School built
1979 - Weeks Road School closed
1984 - Weeks Road School demolished
1986 - Senior living community built on Weeks Road School property

The Guggenheim house was located in the area of Mohawk Drive and Deer Park Avenue... his horse stables were where Stables store is located (they used his stables when they opened - thus the name... unsure if they still exist). He also had an ice house and boat house on what was then known as Guggenheim Lakes. The of the current dam at the lake outlet had a mill.

North Babylon Guggenheim Lake-guggenheim-1888.jpg

North Babylon Guggenheim Lake-guggenheim-1902.jpg

North Babylon Guggenheim Lake-guggenheim-1915.jpg

North Babylon Guggenheim Lake-guggenheim-1941.jpg

North Babylon Guggenheim Lake-corbin-estate.jpg

North Babylon Guggenheim Lake-guggenheim-estate.jpg

Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,104,326 times
nessman, thanks for gathering this together!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island