Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
Wouldnt it just be easier if their were unified cities based on zipcodes. Lets say all of the Syosset, Woodbury, Jericho, Hicksville zipcodes created a city. Wouldnt they be able to provide the same services at a lower cost and with less bureaucratic mess?
Not really....Syosset, Woodbury, Jericho and Hicksville are all hamlets in the Town of Oyster Bay and as such are governed at the local level by the Town and County. Hamlets themselves are not governmental organizations, just geographic divisions of towns. If you were to create a city from the ZIP code boundaries associated with those areas, it'd require creating a new layer of local government, annexing those portions from the Town (as well as the portions of the villages of Muttontown, Oyster Bay Cove & Laurel Hollow in which these ZIP codes overlap), consolidating all the school districts that serve these areas into one new city school district - while also creating new districts for the students outside the borders of this new city who were previously served by the Jericho/Hicksville/Syosset & Woodbury SDs, restructuring whatever County police precincts patrolled the area, creating a new city police force, etc., etc., etc....There is a whole very large number of guidelines cities operate and are chartered according to in New York State.

And once all that is done, it doesn't guarantee that any taxes will be lowered. It would just be essentially replacing one layer of government with another. The ZIP code boundaries not matching the towns, cities, villages and hamlets that bear their names doesn't have any impact on taxes....it just seems to confuse people, but most other states have similar forms of non-conforming geography and several layers of local government. New York administrative divisions are tame compared to NJ....a state that often has considerably lower taxes than most areas on Long Island.

Keep in mind that just because a school district, a ZIP code, a water district, etc. shares the name of a town/city/village/hamlet it doesn't mean they share the same boundaries whatsoever. That is the key to understanding the way things work.

For instance I live in the Hamlet of North Wantagh in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County, NY. My mailing address is in the service area of the Wantagh, NY 11793 post office.....it doesn't mean I live in Wantagh. My home is also in the service area of the Levittown UFSD and the Levittown Volunteer Fire Department......it doesn't mean I live in Levittown.

Walter's approach might be a little robotic at times, but these are things that really benefit anyone who pays property taxes to understand where their taxes go, what they get spent on and who is responsible for them being too expensive. The system itself isn't naturally corrupt but there is a lot of waste at the local level!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
SeanX4, now that you're on this thread, may be you could help WestburynLI to BronxnNYC understand the difference between geography and topography.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Honestly, type political geography into google...actually let me do that for you...Let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/nkpv5v - broken link)

You are discussing topography(detailed description of an area, you are great at that), why you will not accept this fact is beyond me.
I keep LOLing at your posts. You have either somehow stumbled across an antiquated definition of "topography" or you are grossly misunderstanding the content of Walter's posts......in any case, your info is all wrong.

Not for nothing, but I really thought everyone and their mother knew what a topographic map was in 21st century America.

In a nutshell - like someone else posted earlier, topography is concerned with graphically representing the earth's surface features. In other words: changes in elevation, bodies of water, natural & manmade structures, etc. Here is an example of a topographic map straight from Wikipedia:

As that article mentions, most people refer to any map utilizing contour lines as a "topographic map", however the one shown above (which includes mapping of structures/roadways/etc.) is more accurate in the traditional sense.

Topographic maps don't normally include political/municipal boundaries whatsoever....while these are the primary feature of the US Census Bureau maps and accompanying descriptions posted by Walter Greenspan. This is quite the opposite of what you are claiming ("detailed description of an area")....as these maps are descriptive of nothing more than imaginary lines! It boggles my mind how you could not only confuse the two, but also rather snobbishly and stubbornly insist that the definition you learned doing 20 seconds of research on the internet was correct

Old 09-07-2009, 08:34 PM

Thank you, SeanX4.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,517 times
Stubborn and snobbish finally brought me to learning the true definitions.

Thank you guys.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:27 AM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times
The Jericho Civic associations went dormant for a while, but is currently seeing a resurgence. I think the population got older for a while, and is now being replaced by younger families with more interest in the civic associations.

How did the Village of Brookville get this accomplished without the support of atleast a few key members from the Jericho community. Is there some kind of Symbiotic relationship between Jericho and Brookville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
A great deal of the fault lies with the several Jericho civic associations, who were and are asleep at the switch. Currently, half the annual Jericho Park District property tax is attributable to the undeveloped 25-acres community pool and park.

The Jericho Water District is HUGE (24,034 acres), its the largest water district in Nassau County and includes about 20 communities within its service area that extends from Jericho-Syosset-Woodbury on the south to the outskirts of the Hamlet of Oyster Bay and the City of Glen Cove on the north.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
How did the Village of Brookville get this accomplished without the support of atleast a few key members from the Jericho community.
WJFM, my guess is through private discussions with the powers-that-be at Oyster Bay Town Hall.

There was really no need for the Town of Oyster Bay to buy any additional acreage, especially out-of-district property, when there is the 25-acre undeveloped Jericho Park District property already owned, and within the district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Is there some kind of Symbiotic relationship between Jericho and Brookville?
Just the opposite, I figure.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 AM

WJFM, you might want to ask the Town Supervisor and one or more of the Town Councilman, as well as the presidents of the other Jericho civic associations, why the Town of Oyster Bay needs to buy any additional acreage for ball fields, especially out-of-district property, when there is the 25-acre undeveloped Jericho Park District property already owned, and within the district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island