Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:00 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,128,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoral View Post
Why are some people from LI not going to Manhattan ? There are so many things to see.
I had a college colleague who lives in Hyde Park and she said that in 20 years she went just once to Manhattan !
Is any place in LI less than 1 hour from Manhattan where the taxes are not so high ?
Thank you.
for many, its a 2 hour drive to HELL.

as I said before, I was working in new hyde park yesterday at a dead end, only divided by a curb, trees and a hydrand and one side was queens, the other nassau. its hard to believe when I stood on the queens side, an inch away from the nassau county line, people believed they didnt live on long island.

the taxes on one side in nassau are $4000 but the other side in queens, only feet away, they are $1500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 02:45 PM

125 posts, read 439,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post

as I said before, I was working in new hyde park yesterday at a dead end, only divided by a curb, trees and a hydrand and one side was queens, the other nassau. its hard to believe when I stood on the queens side, an inch away from the nassau county line, people believed they didnt live on long island.

the taxes on one side in nassau are $4000 but the other side in queens, only feet away, they are $1500.
Aw come on, that's no excuse! Hop on the LIRR and you're there in no time.

I've found most LI'ers (and the more native they are the more this is true) never go to one of the world's greatest city, right on their doorstep. I moved here from out of state and was shocked to meet lots of people who had never even been there and viewed going into The City as some kind of exotic adventure.

To answer the original question, LI'ers are NOT from "New York" The City (if here the OP meant Manhattan) -- they are a completely different breed (and that's not a bad thing necessarily!).

Manhattanites view LI'ers as B&T and always will. We live in completely different worlds.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,799,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
And to expand on this thought, it's difficult to find parking. I don't take the LIRR because driving 1 car is better than buying 4 LIRR tickets + subway travel. If there were a place with plentiful parking, no congestion, and all those attractions, everybody would jump on it.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:50 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambralita View Post
Aw come on, that's no excuse! Hop on the LIRR and you're there in no time.

I've found most LI'ers (and the more native they are the more this is true) never go to one of the world's greatest city, right on their doorstep. I moved here from out of state and was shocked to meet lots of people who had never even been there and viewed going into The City as some kind of exotic adventure.

To answer the original question, LI'ers are NOT from "New York" The City (if here the OP meant Manhattan) -- they are a completely different breed (and that's not a bad thing necessarily!).

Manhattanites view LI'ers as B&T and always will. We live in completely different worlds.
It's not that I don't love the city...for crissakes, I work there...but truth be told, going home on the LIRR in the wee hours of the night sucks. The times are awful. if I am going in on a Saturday night, I 9 times out of 10, drive in.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,243,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Long Islanders aren't tourists, we're locals. I think you probably have to leave metro NY in order to technically be a tourist. But I think someone out east who has never been to the city would be considered a tourist. But most of us, no.
I don't know, plenty of people from Long Island, Westchester, and NJ (the 3 main suburban regions of NYC) can appear to be tourists in Manhattan. Many people from these 3 regions don't really go into the city ever, and if they do, it's like a once a year thing...special occasion.

I can't speak for Westchester, but I know tons of people from both NJ and Long Island, and to me it seems that the NJ people head into the city far, far more than the LI people. It seems to me that many Long Island people just like to stay in their isolated world. I'm just speaking from experience!

Old 09-03-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I don't know, plenty of people from Long Island, Westchester, and NJ (the 3 main suburban regions of NYC) can appear to be tourists in Manhattan. Many people from these 3 regions don't really go into the city ever, and if they do, it's like a once a year thing...special occasion.

I can't speak for Westchester, but I know tons of people from both NJ and Long Island, and to me it seems that the NJ people head into the city far, far more than the LI people. It seems to me that many Long Island people just like to stay in their isolated world. I'm just speaking from experience!
Well, also parts of NJ are so close to the city. Hoboken is a 10-15 minute train ride versus somewhere in LI that may be 45 mins or so. LIRR is just a hassle.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoral View Post
Why are some people from LI not going to Manhattan ? There are so many things to see.
I had a college colleague who lives in Hyde Park and she said that in 20 years she went just once to Manhattan !
Is any place in LI less than 1 hour from Manhattan where the taxes are not so high ?
Thank you.
Valley Stream, RVC, Lynbrook, Great Neck, New Hyde Park, Merrick etc. etc...lots of places under an hour.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:11 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,848,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
And to expand on this thought, it's difficult to find parking. I don't take the LIRR because driving 1 car is better than buying 4 LIRR tickets + subway travel. If there were a place with plentiful parking, no congestion, and all those attractions, everybody would jump on it.

Sometimes I drive to certain subway stations. It's quite a bit cheaper than the LIRR, but takes longer. I drive to a station in either LIC or Astoria so it's a quick subway ride.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,191,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan1112 View Post
I'm saying that a lot of the people that are transplants to NY have nothing but put downs for the other boroughs. I made perfect sense.
You're right. They are usually the ones with the attitude that Manhattan is all that counts and as for Long Island, we might as well ride in on the back of a produce truck according to them.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:12 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,243,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Well, also parts of NJ are so close to the city. Hoboken is a 10-15 minute train ride versus somewhere in LI that may be 45 mins or so. LIRR is just a hassle.
That's why most people in Suburban NJ view Hoboken/Jersey City the same way suburban Long Islanders view Brooklyn ... it's a different world and an entirely different landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island