Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:33 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times

Advertisements

Dont get me wrong, I love my fair Isle but I did a fair amount of traveling this Summer and LI really looks like hell.

Houses are run down, businesses closed....trash, traffic and graffiti everywhere, Cops losing the war on heroin etc etc etc.

I think this recession is really kicking the crap out of us.

I know we'll bounce back, Im just not sure what the ball will look like.

Your thoughts?

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 02:52 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Dont get me wrong, I love my fair Isle but I did a fair amount of traveling this Summer and LI really looks like hell.

Houses are run down, businesses closed....trash, traffic and graffiti everywhere, Cops losing the war on heroin etc etc etc.

I think this recession is really kicking the crap out of us.

I know we'll bounce back, Im just not sure what the ball will look like.

Your thoughts?

Crooks
Come on...yeah places like Wyandanch or Central Islip may be run down, but LI still has a plethora of very nice places. LI is a great place. Businesses all over the country are closing b/c the economy is crummy. I assure you, LI is not the only place the recession is affecting.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Come on...yeah places like Wyandanch or Central Islip may be run down, but LI still has a plethora of very nice places. LI is a great place. Businesses all over the country are closing b/c the economy is crummy. I assure you, LI is not the only place the recession is affecting.
No doubt.

Better than Flint Michigan perhaps.

Heres the existential LI questions.

Are we still what we think we are?

Does the diamond still shine for all ...or is it all we know?

Crooks

Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Crooks I believe you are correct. Long Islands golden era IMHO was late 70's early 80's. There are many other places in the US that are going through their eras right now.

Last edited by LongIslandCitizen; 09-03-2009 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Crooks I believe you are correct. Long Islands golder era IMHO was late 70's early 80's. There are many other places in the US that are going through their eras right now.
Agreed.

We just look old and beat.

Crooks

Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I don't notice that. I lived in Queens for the last 3 years, so it's much nicer here in Levittown than there.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:27 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,413 times
All is well, beautiful place to live, but, .....the trash, it's gotta go, I don't know how long it's been this way but it's rediculous.

I don't know if it's from a higher concentration of slobs or poor public sanitation. Regardless, let's fix this problem already! It's a crime that such a nice place is so badly tainted by litter. Everywhere I've lived municipalities have figurred out how to keep a clean and somewhat manicured facade. why can't Long Island?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:37 PM

456 posts, read 1,428,701 times
Over-developed and over-taxed, that's what Long Island is these days. It used to be a great place, but it's incomprehensible that we pay top notch tax rates and it's going to the gutter.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
All is well, beautiful place to live, but, .....the trash, it's gotta go, I don't know how long it's been this way but it's rediculous.

I don't know if it's from a higher concentration of slobs or poor public sanitation. Regardless, let's fix this problem already! It's a crime that such a nice place is so badly tainted by litter. Everywhere I've lived municipalities have figurred out how to keep a clean and somewhat manicured facade. why can't Long Island?
Throughout my military career whenever I came home on leave I could gauge what I called the wave of grafitti that was travelling further up the Island from JFK or Laguardia like the plague. Now with taxes, crime, poverty etc I think our better days are behind us. I was born in The city, lived in queens, my family wanted better and moved to hicksville, now I'm in Suffolk..........before you know it I'll be in montauk escaping by boat.

In between all of the above I've lived throughout the US and europe and besides the maybe 2 months of beach weather Long Island fell off my list of top 10's. Unless the 80's LI was a choice. I moved back here a few years ago and their are good moments like fall harvest, some spring days, and a good snowfall when everything is white and quiet but they dont equal up to the other 300 days.

Lets face it we were robbed this past summer by rainfall and cool temperatures. I wanna slap Al gore silly.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't notice that. I lived in Queens for the last 3 years, so it's much nicer here in Levittown than there.

I actually think Queens and Brooklyn have improved at the Islands expense.

Is all realive.

If youre serving a life sentence since the 60-70s ...you're more in touch with the change.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island