Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you freaking out about the Gangs and the Dope?
What problem? 27 49.09%
Theres a problem but our Cops have it under control. 7 12.73%
Deeply concerned and beginning to question why I'm here? 18 32.73%
Freaking out and selling? 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:41 AM

556 posts, read 1,445,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Are you freaking out about the Gangs and the Heroin?

Our Police are clearly losing the war out here.
Perhaps theyre not getting what they need....who knows.

What do you think?

Crooks
Its a lot of spin. Most people didn't know Heroin cost as little as 5$. Many people didn't even know you could snort it. But all those press releases and news coverage will get the word out.

Many people in Long Island always say they do not want to see NYC in Long Island, yet most do very little to keep up and really set examples for the community. I think some people like to watch the spread of "gangs" because feeling closer to the danger. "Ohhh gangs now tag in SomeLItown? Wow I cant believe that!"

Get rid of it the next day. You let one sit and more come like fly's on honey. My block here my girl has lived her for close to 5 years me almost 2 and just recently a small tag became one whole wall( which has happened before) but always was painted and sometimes stay clean say--3-6 months. But it never was painted the last time. Spread to brick on a house...bount 60 ft house...all over. I never saw any tags or evedence of tags on that brick and nobody could remember it ever being tagged.

Then a church was getting tagged all of a sudden(one block away corner building church), cleaned it ones wrote "Please respect" in marker and has not been touched since.

Graffitti up in my area 2000%. W have bubble tags street level not just a steel gates. Wasnt like that for close to 5 years already, or more.

Long Island is easier because they are single family homes. Every house here is 3 family and up. It was cleaner than those damn pvc fences i see in Long Island. Those things scream "Right on Me" and do not clean very easily.

Violence is not up though. I always wanted to paint that wall. But if no one cares, then thats where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 10:31 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
yea small weed bags.. $5, $10.. pick one up and take a whiff lol
TeamExit, heroin is sold in the same small bags that you are referring to as weed being sold in. I know this b/c years ago I dated a heroin addict and that's what he purchased the heroin in. You don't need a lot of heroin to get high. So, yes, I do believe what Luke is saying is correct. Also, I grew up in Bethpage and know that this is going on in Bethpage, as well as every other area on Long Island. If you think it's not happening in your town, it's time to wake up.

ETA: I must say I do believe parents should educate themselves greatly on the symptoms of heroin abuse and addiction symptoms. I remember when the girl from Plainedge OD'd and I was watching News 12 and they said they were going to let parents know what signs to look for and I was VERY disappointed b/c they did not even say what these parents should look for (symptoms of being high on heroin). Heroin is very cheap, about $5 per bag and once you snort it, you are addicted and it's a hard habit to quit...Once you get hooked, you then turn to needles to get your high and then must take more. This is my fear for when I have children. Thank God they will have a mother who knows the signs to look for. That's about the only thing I could ever thank my ex for...teaching me the signs. Please, parents, I beg you to learn about heroin, if you don't, you will regret it one day if your child tries the drug or gets addicted.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:05 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times
I think it's time we create a Long Island internal security force and put up checkpoints along the Queens-Nassau border and search every vehicle, train, bus, and truck crossing the line for drugs. Check the vehicles, trains, buses, and trucks going into Queens for criminals looking to make their getaway back into the city after a night of pillaging Long Island.

We can't grow any sort of drug on Long Island (well except for marijuana but im not concerned about that anymore - it pales in comparison to the dangers of heroin, meth, cocaine, etc) therefore they have to come from somewhere and that somewhere is NYC. Demand cannot exist if there is no supply.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
At least we don't have methamphetamine. It's decimating flyover country. I wonder why we don't have it. Not enough white trash types?
I have lived in Nassau County for all of my 38 years. I agree with this, seems like it is more devastating than heroin. I have read the stories about H though; the LI Press did great report on it including the coverage of the limited amount of rehab available. I know it is out there, it is cheap and the connection to vikes, percs etc is a big part if the problem. It is tough to say how much of a problem it is though. Someone else pointed out that some parents will give a different cause of death, especially when a young person dies. Does anyone have real stats?

As for gangs, I have never had direct experience with someone in a gang. My brother-in law worked at Nassau County Jail and said there is a huge % of total inmates that also belong to gangs. MS-13, Crips, Bloods and more are all here, but where? There are gang related murders in the paper all the time, I don’t know if it hits as broadly across the entire island as H does but may be more in pockets.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 AM

149 posts, read 525,157 times
Ok, I answered whichever one that correlated with being concerned. Eventhough I don't see bags stamped with Final Blast littering the street nor have I seen dicey looking folks walking down the street where I am scratching their arms I can't help but worry whether or not the police can handle this situation. How many more stories in the local papers will it take to realize that it's not just a few harmless 'chippers' and 'weekend warriors?'

Its a lot of spin. Most people didn't know Heroin cost as little as 5$. Many people didn't even know you could snort it.

WestB to BX-You aren't lying there! There was a story not long ago about a woman who was busted for walking through a store (at a mall I think) sniffing a bag of heroin. A friend of mine was sure the drug in question was wrong in the story as "Heroin you shoot up, she must of had cocaine..." Needless to say he was floored that one could smoke and sniff H as well as shoot.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:58 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,824 times
I have not even noticed the gang problem, at least not in my neck of the woods. I live in a really, really bad neighborhood as defined by this site.
I guess I should be thankful to not live in a more affluent neighborhood!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Are you freaking out about the Gangs and the Heroin?

Our Police are clearly losing the war out here.
Perhaps theyre not getting what they need....who knows.

What do you think?

Crooks
My choice wasn't an option: Concerned, not freaking out, not selling.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:16 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,143,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
At least we don't have methamphetamine. It's decimating flyover country. I wonder why we don't have it. Not enough white trash types?
You already have it, you just don't know it yet.

It's not a drug of white trash and it's been used in the Island's homosexual community for years. You'll hear more about it in the near future.

Take a look at it's "benefits" and imagine all the places it will pop up.

Quote:
What are the short-term effects of methamphetamine use?

Methamphetamine, like cocaine, is a "psychostimulant" that increases the amount of at least three important brain chemicals called neurotransmitters: dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine. As a result, methamphetamine can elevate your mood, induce euphoria, increase alertness, reduce fatigue, increase energy, decrease appetite, increase movement and speech, and provide a sense of increased personal power and prowess. This is the high you feel -- you instantly become the "life of the party". And, unlike the high from cocaine which is brief, the effect of meth lasts for six to 12 hours or more depending on how much you do.

Unfortunately, there's also a down side. The same process produces increased blood pressure, heart rate and sweating, it can cause anxiety, irritability, insomnia, paranoia, and psychosis. In addition, once the high wears off, mental and physical exhaustion set in often with a deep depression that sometimes includes thoughts of suicide.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

It's not a drug of white trash and it's been used in the Island's homosexual community for years. You'll hear more about it in the near future.

Not a drug of white trash? Then who is it a drug of? Who are the majority who use it?

I don't know anything about LI's homosexual community, but thankfully everything harmful gays do in their subculture does not radiate out towards larger society.

As for the "benefits" ... anyone who is tempted by the benefits should check this out, "Faces of Meth" and all white (possibly trash?) faces too:

Faces of Meth | Meth Photos (http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/DrugIssue/MethResources/faces/index.html - broken link)

Methamphetamine is more destructive than crack. Probably all the noxious chemicals in it, while crack is at least derived from a "natural" product. Anyone who uses it is a complete moron.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:50 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

I know a LOT of gay people, and none of them do meth. It is not at ALL a homosexual drug (there really is no such thing anymore, anyway), it's a white trash drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island