Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I think our state and local governments need to do more to create jobs where the unemployed currently live. Why should someone be forced to uproot their family due to the vagaries of the economy?
But why is it that we hold the government responsible for everything? Why do we moan about taxes and then complain that there isn't long enough unemployment being offered? Don't we realize that OUR government is paid for with OUR money... Why do we criticize the government for being too involved in small business and then complain that they haven't done enough to BRING us jobs? Since when do Americans rely on others for their survival and success? When did we let go of our pride and enterprise?

This is a free market- capitalism at its best and worst. The market is determined by conditions... period.

No one OWES us a middle class wage in the area of our preference. If a job is lost due to the economy, pay attention. Regroup yourself, make plans, work for your dreams. Bust.your.a$$. It can be done. It hurts but it CAN be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 PM

36 posts, read 109,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And you know what, plenty of people who might have signed up at temp agencies will not because they end up clearing almost or close to what they would at lower paying temp job.

Not thinking that getting their foot in the door as a temp could lead to permanent and more money.

If you can make more than 22K a year why take a low paying job? Or even get a job as bartender or a server.

Someone who was making 50K a year will not even look or accept a job making 30K a year when they get UE for almost two years.

Why take a $14 an hour temp job when you can clear almost $11 for doing nothing.

I am sorry for people who are out of work, but UE is suppossed to be temporary assitance. I don't call 92 weeks temporary.
Kmrlongisland asked a simple question re: if UE benefits will be extended or not in NY state. He didn't ask for your rant re: the length of UE benefits and whether people might return to work more quickly if the benefits hadn't been extended. For all I know, or anyone knows, kmlongisland may be currently be training for a new career. He may also be working with a private career coach and submitting 5-10 apps a week. My point is -- I don't know, nor do you know, what his personal circumstances are. Remember, we, the general working public, didn't create this horrible mess.
The last thing we (the unemployed) need at this point is the judgment of others. Remember, your job could be the next to be axed.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Perhaps in upstate NY it is possible but here on LI $24K/year is impossible to raise a family with. Housing in any decent neighborhood starts at $300K, taxes minimally $5k, groceries $200/week, insurance etc....

But that isn't really the issue, you take umbrage that the long-term unemployed have not gone elsewhere to find work. I think our state and local governments need to do more to create jobs where the unemployed currently live. Why should someone be forced to uproot their family due to the vagaries of the economy?
Well isn't it better to think outside the box than just sit on Long Island if you're having that tough of a time.

Many LI residents have relocated to NC for example where it is more cost effective, and areas like the Research Triangle are growing.

Sorry, but it sounds like your expecting the local and state govt to come in and save you, I wouldn't wait around for them or a relative or anyone to "save me".

I can understand not wanting to move, but many people have found they need to look in other parts of the country in order to find work.

Many people have gotten of LI because of the high cost of living and moved to state like NC and TN. They have found good paying jobs and reduced their cost of living.

If your not getting any leads on LI and your worried about the UE benefits running out, I would be more open minded to looking elsewhere.

Rather than waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:44 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
Quote:
Well isn't it better to think outside the box than just sit on Long Island if you're having that tough of a time.

Many LI residents have relocated to NC for example where it is more cost effective, and areas like the Research Triangle are growing.

Sorry, but it sounds like your expecting the local and state govt to come in and save you, I wouldn't wait around for them or a relative or anyone to "save me".

I can understand not wanting to move, but many people have found they need to look in other parts of the country in order to find work.

Many people have gotten of LI because of the high cost of living and moved to state like NC and TN. They have found good paying jobs and reduced their cost of living.

If your not getting any leads on LI and your worried about the UE benefits running out, I would be more open minded to looking elsewhere.

Unemployment is also very high in NC and TN. It is bad everywhere.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:21 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
It is bad everywhere.
It's bad for *certain people*, *somewhere.*

It's not bad for everyone, everywhere. I know exactly one person who was let go, due to the economy. She worked for Citadel Communications as a publicist. She had two other jobs anyway and is going back to school to finish up her graduate's degree in psychology... while getting 100% tuition assistance and unemployment for the next year. I know no one else who has lost their job or been forced to accept lower pay or cut hours here. Luxury item sales were low, in my husband's company, when the stock market first dove... they're back up to normal numbers now. That lull lasted all of 8 months.

We're in Syracuse. This is a bad place to come if you're in the manufacturing industry... notsomuch if you're in the healthcare, technology, or education fields. There are MANY jobs here. We have a low cost of living, employment in plenty for many fields, strong and stable real estate market, new office buildings and hotels being built all over the area, little to no traffic, scenic surroundings, etc. ... that's not what I'd call bad.

And I doubt that Syracuse is all alone in daring to be anything but "bad." The national economy is hurting but it's hardly fair to insist that the many *local* economies that are stable, if not GROWING, are just as weak as the nation's, in general... because they just are not.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Unemployment is also very high in NC and TN. It is bad everywhere.
Some areas are hit harder than others. For example TX is doing better than many other states.

My point is you can't sit around and just expect UE benefits to keep getting extended. Sorry, if someone knows they have 26 weeks as oppossed to 92 weeks they're going to make more of an effort looking for work.

It is basic human nature.

And if you someone finds I can't get work in a certain part of the country then they should expand their search. With the Internet research on just about anything is right at your fingertips.

Or use the time to go back to school, some states will extend your benefits if you're getting trained for another line of work.

OP came on here to ask about the extension, why not go right to the source? Check the NY state Dept of Labor and website.

I am sure there are people who are knocking themselves out looking for work, but there are also those who figure why look for a lower paying job when I can stay home and make the same on UE.

Many people lose all sense of structure when they lose their job, it is easy to get into the stay in your pajamas and watch TV all day mindset.

If you have almost 2 yrs of benefits coming in that is easier to do as oppossed to 6 months.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:40 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,663,957 times
Quote:
OP came on here to ask about the extension, why not go right to the source? Check the NY state Dept of Labor and website.
NYS Labor only details what is currently available. I am curious to know if someone knows what might be winding it's way through the House of Reps.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:16 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Some areas are hit harder than others. For example TX is doing better than many other states.

My point is you can't sit around and just expect UE benefits to keep getting extended. Sorry, if someone knows they have 26 weeks as oppossed to 92 weeks they're going to make more of an effort looking for work.

It is basic human nature.

And if you someone finds I can't get work in a certain part of the country then they should expand their search. With the Internet research on just about anything is right at your fingertips.

Or use the time to go back to school, some states will extend your benefits if you're getting trained for another line of work.

I am sure there are people who are knocking themselves out looking for work, but there are also those who figure why look for a lower paying job when I can stay home and make the same on UE.

Many people lose all sense of structure when they lose their job, it is easy to get into the stay in your pajamas and watch TV all day mindset.

If you have almost 2 yrs of benefits coming in that is easier to do as oppossed to 6 months.
Well, I kind of agree and disagree.

I think these times are so extreme that having it at 26 weeks right now is going to produce too large a group of people who are going to have "no income" at all for a long time no matter how hard they try, which again produces not only too much of a "race to the bottom" as I described earlier and a vicious cycle for everyone, but a large and growing group of completely homeless people with no options. A lot of how I think government has come up with these extensions is estimating how many people are going to go with no income for how long. I don't think the extensions ever went beyond 13 weeks (i.e. 39 weeks total) until this recession. Even Bush and the Republicans realized this kind of crisis and went against their usual dogma with this, it first went beyond 39 weeks at the end of his administration, not under Obama.

That said, I think there should be a reasonable limit too as I think there does come a point where it gets to what you said. My thought, particularly if the economy is starting to improve, is 1 year. That is really a lot of time where a lot can happen both internally and externally (the whole Lehman Brothers/financial fiasco that really accelerated the bad economy was one year ago this week) and I think would cover most people and situations (though these times may still be unique).

Regarding relocating, I am normally in wholehearted agreement with you, but two things this time around that makes it unique is:

A) the issue of not being able to sell your home for enough money to pay off your mortgage so you can move (one reason why we suddenly went in 1-2 years from the highest level of annual mobility to the lowest since the 1940s)

B) Because unemployment is so high virtually everywhere, many employers more than ever are only looking at people who live near the potential job, but for reason A above most people can't up and move without a job (and even then, if they own and have trouble selling.....).

Old 09-13-2009, 07:34 PM

I see your point 7 wishes. But I do think 52 weeks should be the max.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:56 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:

Both NC & TN have unemployment rates which are several points higher than NY. Virtually every single county in both states have higher unemployment rates than LI. One in TN is a few tenths lower (small rural county population around 30,000). Orange County NC (chapel Hill area is virtually the exact same as Nassau) and three counties in NC are lower (though very small counties with a combined population of less than 60,000). The vast majority of both states not only have unemployment rates higher than LI, but unemployment rates which are much higher than LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island