Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

Here we have some destruction of a nice rural piece of property on the corner of Glen Cove Rd and Red Ground Road. This is a very large property, that is a mix of decidious woodlands, fields, and what was once horse stables. Now half of it is piles of dirt, as developers come in build...well...you guessed it...MORE MCMANSIONS!
Welcome to Spring Hill at Old Westbury
Kean Development Company
And where was OUR MEDIA. I didn't even see notices go up prior to this development. And where was Nassau County in all this? WHY THE H*LL WASN'T THIS LAND PRESERVED! Now a Gold Coast Estate is RUINED..thanks to GREED.
I wonder where all the money paid to preserve land in Nassau is going. How about an answer from Mr.Tom Suozzi? The biggest crook that ever sat in the county seat!
Here's an image of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 PM

67 posts, read 360,629 times
This is inaccurate. The entire horse farm you have in purple that says razed will not be razed. It is owned by a private family. What you are seeing is the result of restrictions in Old Westbury, such as the requirement that they have enough concrete dry wells to contain 8 inches of water in a 24 hour period. Much of the dirt you see has been dug up to fit the drainage wells.

edit: also included in that purple box are two other houses that lay outside the property of Spring Hill. Old Westbury's minimum acreage requirement is 2, meaning hypothetically the developer could build 50-60 houses on the property, though in reality there will be something more like 15 or 20. I share your frustration and concern though.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLongIsland View Post
This is inaccurate. The entire horse farm you have in purple that says razed will not be razed. It is owned by a private family. What you are seeing is the result of restrictions in Old Westbury, such as the requirement that they have enough concrete dry wells to contain 8 inches of water in a 24 hour period. Much of the dirt you see has been dug up to fit the drainage wells.

edit: also included in that purple box are two other houses that lay outside the property of Spring Hill. Old Westbury's minimum acreage requirement is 2, meaning hypothetically the developer could build 50-60 houses on the property, though in reality there will be something more like 15 or 20. I share your frustration and concern though.
Well they shouldn't have sold out to a developer. I keep hearing about Nassau County land preservation fund. Well here would've been a perfect opportunity to have a beautiful park and estate, and now its gone. So many old estates are getting destroyed for subdivisions and no one at the village, town, or county level seems to give a damn about our history or the environment.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
This suprises anyone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well they shouldn't have sold out to a developer. I keep hearing about Nassau County land preservation fund. Well here would've been a perfect opportunity to have a beautiful park and estate, and now its gone. So many old estates are getting destroyed for subdivisions and no one at the village, town, or county level seems to give a damn about our history or the environment.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I agree, though the property was sold in '04 for like 34 million, something the county definitely doesn't have to spend on a property they would then need to maintain. They just closed Cedarmere (in Roslyn) as they have such limited funds and that place is like 1/20th the size.

I wholeheartedly agree that the village does not care, they actually wanted the developer to raze that horse farm and he fought them over it and was successful. They have all these ridiculous requirements, it's almost as if they are ashamed of their history. The other alternative to houses at Spring Hill was a golf course and clubhouse, so it's kind of a pick your poison scenario.

They have used their preservation fund to preserve some things, they purchased all the property around Irving Brokaw's 'Frost Mill Lodge' in Mill Neck off of Lower Francis Pond, that is open to the public. They also just recently acquired a farm that is being incorporated into Old Westbury Gardens and a piece of property off of Yellow Cote Road in Oyster Bay Cove I believe.

You can see both Frost Mill Lodge and Spring Hill at Old Long Island (while I am not at the village, town or county level, I do care).

Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 PM

164 posts, read 458,378 times
John... I never knew that property was sold...thought it was still on the market ( I also thought it was in Brookville) Friends of ours use to own a horse and ride there. I knew a few years back they had money problems and a horse stable next to it bought a few acres to help her out...I guess it still didn't help..what a shame. So they knocked down that old house on the property that the owner use to live in? I heard Gold coast stables was 18 acres and it was up for sale for 11 mil? I even saw an on line ad for that amount..I am confused

Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 PM

The main house on the estate, built in 1903, was torn down in 1972 by the family that owned the property. It was not sold because of money problems, more that that era for the family had ended and they had moved on. Not sure what gold coast stables is but the stables on the property were always private.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
As a preservationist I sympathize, but the landowner has every right to sell for the highest dollar. Given the economy, the County probably doesn't have enough money to pay full price to preserve that land. A while back there was an article in Newsday about how most of the land being preserved was in well-to-do areas and paritally or completely inaccessible to all county residents. This land not being preserved could have been a direct result of that.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 PM

^ Nice to know there's another preservationist round these parts. Can I assume by your sig you live on or near Inisfada?

Old 09-10-2009, 12:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
I just watched the developers video and I threw up in my mouth. Jeeze was that overdone.

I agree with OhBeeHave, the landowners can sell to who they want to. I'd also but these homes quite a few steps above McMansion and give them full status as MiniMansions. Now given the economy who the heck is going to be buying these?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island