Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So true - my DH was there the other day and this woman was looking at the directory and said "look your favorite store, Zany Brainy! - let's go find it" and my DH didn't have the heart to tell them it closed a few years ago.

It's definitely a ghetto there - but check out where the traffic is coming from especially on the weekends...just another example of Queens and Brooklyn pushing eastward.
eh...I think it's simply the locals from Hempstead, Uniondale, Roosevelt, etc coming to hang out.

I feel like the "thug types" have always been there...or at least as long as I can remember. Maybe there's less "normal folk" shopping in the mall...which makes the undesirables more noticeable Perhaps thug life is recession proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 01:54 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
eh...I think it's simply the locals from Hempstead, Uniondale, Roosevelt, etc coming to hang out.

I feel like the "thug types" have always been there...or at least as long as I can remember. Maybe there's less "normal folk" shopping in the mall...which makes the undesirables more noticeable Perhaps thug life is recession proof.
That is what I was saying to DH. Maybe those with an education are staying home and saving...vs the crowds who seem to always have $ to blow but don't have a dime to their name. That was the only thing I could think of, other than Wal Mart drawing the crowd...

I don't see why the locals from Hempstead, Uniondale, etc are coming out now. Hempstead, Uniondale, etc have always been what they are/were. I have been going to that mall QUITE frequently for the last 6-8 years and the last few times this year I went, I could not believe my eyes.

Maybe spending a day in the mall is a free, cheap day out and that's the crowd I am seeing? Either way, it's pretty disheartening.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
That is what I was saying to DH. Maybe those with an education are staying home and saving...vs the crowds who seem to always have $ to blow but don't have a dime to their name. That was the only thing I could think of, other than Wal Mart drawing the crowd...

I don't see why the locals from Hempstead, Uniondale, etc are coming out now. Hempstead, Uniondale, etc have always been what they are/were. I have been going to that mall QUITE frequently for the last 6-8 years and the last few times this year I went, I could not believe my eyes.

Maybe spending a day in the mall is a free, cheap day out and that's the crowd I am seeing? Either way, it's pretty disheartening.
I've been going there since the mid 90's. The "bad crowd" was there then...and they're there now. I haven't really noticed an increase. And you're right...hanging out at the mall all day is a cheap and easy way to kill a saturday.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:44 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
It's b/c the buses are pretty much mostly bringing in people from those areas. You generally do not see people from areaa like Roslyn riding the bus to the mall. If they did away with that, perhaps the clientele would improve?

Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Just curious..besides the "thug" look that you all are seeing, is there anything else to go with? I mean the hip hop(thug) look is everywhere anymore..white, black, indian, etc. Maybe some of you people dont get out of Suffolk county enough to take notice? Just a thought.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Just curious..besides the "thug" look that you all are seeing, is there anything else to go with? I mean the hip hop(thug) look is everywhere anymore..white, black, indian, etc. Maybe some of you people dont get out of Suffolk county enough to take notice? Just a thought.
I live in the heart of the mix, Western Nassau. RF Is changing...not for the better.

Basically the mall is looking like the next Source Mall or Broadway mall. Crowded but with people just looking to hang out....not actually shop.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's b/c the buses are pretty much mostly bringing in people from those areas. You generally do not see people from areaa like Roslyn riding the bus to the mall. If they did away with that, perhaps the clientele would improve?
But the buses always went there so why the increase now? Just people who are unemployed looking to kill a day? Hang out?

Old 09-14-2009, 02:58 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Thanks but thats not what Im getting at. Are these people causing problems? If these people had suits & ties on would you still look at them the same? I know people in Brooklyn who dress rather thuggish but wouldnt hurt a fly.

Quote:
I live in the heart of the mix, Western Nassau. RF Is changing...not for the better.

Basically the mall is looking like the next Source Mall or Broadway mall. Crowded but with people just looking to hang out....not actually shop.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:59 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I've lived in GC for 12 years - far longer than the WalMart has been there. Take a look at the eastbound Northern leading to the s/b Meadowbrook any weekend. YOU may not think people are influxing from Queens, but they are. I don't ever venture over there on weekends past 10 a.m. - that whole Old Country Road/Glen Cove Road/various malls is off limits unless I have a dire emergency that can only be served by a trip to the mall. One of many reason we bought on the west side of town, also.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:59 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
But the buses always went there so why the increase now? Just people who are unemployed looking to kill a day? Hang out?
Also, the mall has a lot more "urban stores" now...sids pants etc....there are a bunch of others. Compare the stores of Short Hills malls to Roos Field...it's the stores that attract those kinds of people. Same with Sunrise. I think the Walmart doomed that mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island