Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 AM

44 posts, read 102,736 times

Advertisements

I have to say that I am happy to see the schools in Baldwin doing well. I looked at the latest school rankings and test scores and was really encouraged by how well the students are performing. Baldwin has great teachers, a strong school district, and a lot of involved parents. Baldwin remains a strong multicutural community and I am glad I made the move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:43 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
If you can, either call or go to a school board meeting open to the public and inquire about how they qualify students as living in the school district. Former Baldwin residents have written on here that they see scores of kids getting off the LIRR and going to the high school. The "dozens of cousins syndrome" (aka people letting others in NYC or very bad school districts use their addresses) costs you money as a taxpayer, overcrowds your schools and takes services away from your kids. If Baldwin doesn't have a very good way of qualifying who actually lives there (and judging from the comments, it doesn't) tell them they should contact one of the Valley Stream school districts because VS investigates THOROUGHLY and reports in the newsletters they mail out how many false applications they get. Interestingly most are dropped immediately by the persons seeking to go to school in VS when the SD shows they are investigating.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 PM

I don't know how true that is or to what extent that is happening. I would have to ask around and see if anybody else has heard about this rumor.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 AM

213 posts, read 702,835 times
Best advice I can give you is write your sentiments in a letter to the Superintendant of Curriculum and Instruction. Send it to him and cc: the Board of Education. They tend only to hear from the complainers and not the happy parents.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:31 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Yeah there doing excellent Baldwin School District - New York State Test Scores - The New York Times

You're joking right? One of the worse performing districts in Nassau

Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 PM

Ok Bigmike the Hater...First of all I didn't say they were doing excellent. I said they were doing well. Second of all Baldwin is ranked 175th out of 695 districts in the state. How can you say they are one of the worst when you have Hempstead ranked at 648, Freeport ranked at 322, Roosevelt ranked at 532, Westbury ranked at 563? Baldwin beats a couple of others I haven't mentioned as well. What are you smoking out there in VA? You hate Baldwin so much that you always come here to post negativity. It's not our fault you couldn't afford to live here anymore.

Hempstead School District - New York State Test Scores - The New York Times

Freeport School District - New York State Test Scores - The New York Times

Roosevelt School District - New York State Test Scores - The New York Times

Westbury School District - New York State Test Scores - The New York Times

Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Hey Reg,

Using the School Digger website My twin boys which just entered Middle School, I just compared their new school to Baldwin Middle. Baldwin Middle Ranked 288 out of 900. In Virginia my boy's school rank 3 out of 324, big difference there buddy Test score on the schools (NY) combined 164 (VA) 195.5 Schools here in Chesterfield are excellent and you don't want to begin to compare the High Schools. We just happen to be in the top 20 not in the state but in the country My boys keep in touch with their friends back in Baldwin. Three got their lunch money taken and another two got beat up, not a good way to start the school year. I'm so glad they're not attending that school.

The part that I can't afford it I didn't like paying over 11k in taxes for what you get. I like my brand new home, lets forget it's 4x's bigger and the lot is 6x's the size. I like the fact the taxes are 1/4 and the school system is 100x's better. Matter of fact everything is better except pizza and bagels.........of course everything looks good on your end coming from Bed-Stuy, enjoy it!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:43 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Mike, you are very preoccupied with letting everyone know how "big" your stuff is. Big house, big property, big savings on taxes....even your name is "big"....is it possible you are trying to compensate for something else being small?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:38 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Mike, seems that what you're stating here has really no relivance to the baldwin school system. We can all pat you on the back for buying into one of the best SD in the country.

As noted above, if you look at any of the SDs mentioned Baldwin far exceeds them. It may not be the top of LI, but is noticably different from bottom end.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:12 AM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
BigMike can be annoying, but what he is saying is absolutely true. Comparing your school district to the likes of Roosevelt and Hempstead is like comparing your looks to the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I think what BigMike is saying is that Baldwin has a lot of room for improvement. Frankly, it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island