Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoofonfiya View Post
No, because those are things to do.

Different religions have different religious holidays, and these different religious holidays are celebrated differently.

Just as it would be unfair to judge Christian religious holidays and how these Christian holidays are celebrated through a Jewish lens, it is likewise unfair to judge Jewish holidays and how these Jewish holidays are celebrated through a Christian lens.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:44 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
No, because those are things to do. You are simply posting about the holiday of your religion - no thanks!

The peeing contest amongst religions is really getting old. Why can't people celebrate their religion without trying to advertise it?
It was a nice gesture. Hoof, I don't know what you have against the jews...but no one is trying to force religion of any kind down your throat.

That said, happy 5770 to everyone!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:46 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Would you also object to threads about Christian Halloween parades or Christian Christmas lawn displays or Christian Christmas strolls or Christian Easter egg hunts, etc., etc., etc.?
where are those threads? I don't recall seeing them. Seems like most of us are able to practice our respective faiths without advertising it. It's not that hard...

Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 PM

19 posts, read 19,852 times
Quote:
Different religions have different religious holidays, and these different religious holidays are celebrated differently.

Just as it would be unfair to judge Christian religious holidays and how these Christian holidays are celebrated through a Jewish lens, it is likewise unfair to judge Jewish holidays and how these Jewish holidays are celebrated through a Christian lens.
You are missing the point. If there was a posting asking where a Jewish festival was being held, or where to buy a mazta ball, that would be fine.

Your post is simply an explanation of the holiday. Show me where anyone posts an explanation of the meaning of Christmas? Again, keep your religion to yourself and stop trying to compete with Christians!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It was a nice gesture. Hoof, I don't know what you have against the jews...but no one is trying to force religion of any kind down your throat.

That said, happy 5770 to everyone!
I have nothing against jews, I'd just appreciate being able to read about LI without having advertisements for the jewish religion around every jewish holiday (IMO the only reason the OP is making these posts is to compete with other religions, per many statements he's made).

Old 09-17-2009, 01:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. If there was a posting asking where a Jewish festival was being held, or where to buy a mazta ball, that would be fine.
No, you are missing the point: stop judging how Jewish holidays are celebrated by how Christian holidays are celebrated.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
There are many, many people on Long Island that celebrate Rosh ha Shannah.

Additionally, there will be far fewer sellers allowing potential buyers to view their houses, there will be far fewer buyers wanting to view houses that are for sale and there will be far fewer real estate agents plying their trade than would be considered normal for this coming weekend.
this information is appropriate for this forum. The information in your original post is not. That's not "judging"...that's just fact.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
No, you are missing the point: stop judging how Jewish holidays are celebrated by how Christian holidays are celebrated.
No, you totally missed the point. I don't care how anything is celebrated. Post your explanation of your holidays in the religion forum. Stop trying to compete with Christianity - it's PATHETIC!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
this information is appropriate for this forum. The information in your original post is not. That's not "judging"...that's just fact.
His original post is an explanation of the holiday - that belongs in the religion forum if you ask me. I'd rather not face advertisements for Walter's religion because he has an inferiority complex.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
His original post is an explanation of the holiday - that belongs in the religion forum if you ask me. I'd rather not face advertisements for Walter's religion because he has an inferiority complex.
I was agreeing with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island