Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 AM

97 posts, read 311,675 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback..rh71, what system did you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 AM

748 posts, read 2,881,964 times
Its illegal to put up signs if you are not actually in contract with the alarm company. ADT can potentially sue if you they notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
This is all u need.
Security SignS w/ 6 window decals & adt'l options - eBay (item 290350727378 end time Sep-19-09 15:09:56 PDT)

Those $30+ a month home security systems are a waste.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:05 AM

748 posts, read 2,881,964 times
One problem I have with the one-man installations, they do not guarantee their work for more than a year. If you are in contract with the larger firms, all equipment etc is covered under a service contract ( you pay 3$ a month additional), but if your sensor malfunctions or stops working, you can get a replacement for free.

The handymen also charge a tidy sum ( a little more for installation than the established firms like Slomins and ADT, but you make up money over the life of the contract).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I use a guy who works for himself doing installations and it ties into a central station, so it's basically the same as any big company can offer you. They call the house first right away about alarms, then if they don't get the right "password" or if they get no answer they call the police. Same as any other service. We've used him for 2 homes and he's very competent. Central station monitoring is only about $12/mo. PM me if you want his contact info.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 PM

270 posts, read 967,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Its illegal to put up signs if you are not actually in contract with the alarm company. ADT can potentially sue if you they notice.
Just curious - what law/statute is being violated by the placement of an alarm company no longer in contract with?

In my previous house in Chicago, I switched from one company to another and I was too lazy to go around and remove all the stickers from the windows and just left the old ones on there. It didn't actually say "Protected by ABC", but rather just "ABC Security". I figure I was giving them free advertising if anything, and as far as I could tell, I wasn't misrepresenting anything since the stickers don't actually say I'm using them when I wasn't. In either case, I'm not aware of any law or statute that I would have been in violation of even if it did say "Protected by XYZ".

Old 09-18-2009, 04:58 AM

347 posts, read 1,349,422 times
I have experience with ADT and Slomins and never had a problem. Slomins is a bit cheaper and they do the installation for free with a 5 year commitment. What are the issues people had?

Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM

103 posts, read 377,175 times
If you're handy you could install a system yourself. A simple setup might cost around $350, and you could use wireless sensors so you don't even have to snake wires through your walls. Then if you would like to have it monitored by a central station you can have that done for about $12/month. The guys that give free installs and require a multi year contract usually use the same simple setups (unless you pay extra) and it sounds like the monthly fee for monitoring and service is $30-40/month.

If you want to DIY, there are some great sites online that have forums like this where alarm gurus help walk newbies through all the details, from purchasing to install & monitoring. I've done it twice now, and although it can be tricky it isn't too bad.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 AM

782 posts, read 1,415,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjunkie View Post
If you're handy you could install a system yourself. A simple setup might cost around $350, and you could use wireless sensors so you don't even have to snake wires through your walls. Then if you would like to have it monitored by a central station you can have that done for about $12/month. The guys that give free installs and require a multi year contract usually use the same simple setups (unless you pay extra) and it sounds like the monthly fee for monitoring and service is $30-40/month.

If you want to DIY, there are some great sites online that have forums like this where alarm gurus help walk newbies through all the details, from purchasing to install & monitoring. I've done it twice now, and although it can be tricky it isn't too bad.
I have Slomin's and my 5 years commitment is up soon. Thinking about switching to a cheaper monitoring company. Currently paying $25 per month. Anyone know what is involved with switching over to a different company? Thanks.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:33 AM

51 posts, read 115,148 times
Does anyone have updated prices for some of these alarm companies? And is it worth getting the whole central monitoring system?

Old 09-18-2009, 12:05 PM

103 posts, read 377,175 times
I use these guys for monitoring.....about $12/month

Security Solutions Tailored to Your Needs

they helped me configure my alarm to work with their system.

If you have a pre-existing panel in your house, it may well be locked by the company that installed it. That was the case with mine when I moved into the house I'm in now. I ordered a new panel for around $70 and swapped it out with the old one so that I was able to use the existing sensors. It took me a while to get the new panel programmed, but again, it wasn't too bad. You could probably pay an alarm guy to reprogram your panel....should take someone who knows what they're doing a couple of minutes really.

And some reasons why I think having the alarm monitored is a good idea.....
-if a smoke alarm goes off the FD will be called immediately.
-You get a discount on Homeowners Insurance if you have a monitored alram
-the PD will be called if there's a break in, but I personally think the siren alone is deterrent enough for a burglar

Old 09-18-2009, 12:50 PM

200 posts, read 616,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
I have Slomin's and my 5 years commitment is up soon. Thinking about switching to a cheaper monitoring company. Currently paying $25 per month. Anyone know what is involved with switching over to a different company? Thanks.
Sloman's uses Napco equipment, so you would need a company that can get past the dealer code so they can reprogram your panel. I know a company that can program your panel, and they never charge for
service calls, their monitoring is also $25.00 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island