Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 AM

964 posts, read 2,461,681 times

Advertisements

LIOC,

If a man is too drunk too consent, then technically the woman or man that had sex with him could be charged with rape.

The reality is that men in this situation aren't going to come forward. I agree it is a double standard, but the law is really meant to protect women. Why? Because they are the vast vast majority of victims in sexual assault cases. So, that is why the law is skewed that way.

It is a double standard, and yes men have more responsibility than women because of it. But, it has to be done to stop the date rapes, campus rapes, and club rapes that are perpetuated because of alcohol and date rape drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
What of men that are too drunk to consent, or just as drunk as the woman?

Or worst yet, what if a man is drunk and the woman gets pregnant?
If a man is too drunk to consent, would his "anatomy" comply? (In terms of female on male conventional sex.)

Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If a man is too drunk to consent, would his "anatomy" comply? (In terms of female on male conventional sex.)
Good point.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:56 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Ok, What if they are to high to consent? As is the case with many date rapes of women

Also in my opinion a man's decision making skills fall off way before the anatomy problem would arise ( or not rise as the case would be).

Old 09-18-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Don't both parties equally have issues. I think one of the problems with sexual behaviors (and perceptions of it) is that we tend to say wow the female is some type of nasty ***** who has issues while the men are, well men or just scum, as you say. 5 men screwing some girl (maybe random) in a broom closet means to me, you, the men have issues to...sitting around waiting your turn to screw the girl..wow...but we always, sadly give men the benefit of the doubt (and the power in such situations)maybe the young girl treated these men like a piece of meat also...maybe she just wanted a whole lotta dick...who knows.....

Of course her issues stem from the lying....but reactions such as these are kinda why I see people lie..the focus will be on how disgusting she is, how she needs therapy, how she allowed a bunch of men to *run up in her* but nobody ever says that the boys here, have issues as well..both parties are equally *disgusting* its simply her disgusting behavior extends to the lying and ruining of their lives.
I did and so did others.

They risked a lot (reputation, freedom, future) for a cheap thrill. If they had anymore sense than the female in this instance, they would have run the other way.

I hope they learned something from this because maybe the next time there will be no "proof" to show she was clearly consenting (sometimes even a recording cannot do this beyond the shadow of a doubt and the lack of reasonable doubt will prevail in the courtroom) and the next female they run a train on will regret it, tell the police, and NOT recant.

I also certainly hope she learned something too. In the end, she is the one who is going to suffer the most embarrassment.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Ok, What if they are to high to consent? As is the case with many date rapes of women

Also in my opinion a man's decision making skills fall off way before the anatomy problem would arise ( or not rise as the case would be).
But can't too much alcohol affect that adversely?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,962,665 times
(Chelsa1075--yes, I am a woman; no I don't personally know anyone that's been raped; I will add that I have lots of younger brothers and male cousins and I understand people's concerns about false rape accusations.)

As for this particular case, one of the reasons Danmell Ndonye could have recanted her accusation is because the cops told her that she never explicitly said the word 'NO' on video during the event. Because of this, she would have a hard time in court proving her case. The video would be shown over and over again to a courtroom full of jurors, spectators and press. So, little girl, it would just be easier for you to say you take it back. Then it all goes away. I think she knew all along that the video existed. This whole "she recanted only after she learned about the video!" angle is sketchy. For those of you saying there's no proof she was drunk and she totally wanted it...well, how does a completely sober person not notice someone standing there like Martin Scorsese, taping the whole thing? Two of the men deny having sex with her at all...that is consistent with one of them standing there just to tape. But, if we're saying that she was too drunk to notice...then she was TOO DRUNK. Let's make up our minds. Then again, if someone was SECRETLY taping...aren't there laws against that too?

Let's go over the facts again.
  • Five guys:
    • Stalin Felipe*
    • Kevin Taveras*
    • Jesus Ortiz
    • Rondell Bedward
    • Mystery Man #5.
* step brothers

• One freshman girl:
    • Danmell Ndonye.
  • Frat party (earlier articles had explicitly stated that Ndonye had been "drinking & dancing")
  • Of the 5 guys involved, only ONE, Rondell Bedward, is a fellow Hofstra student.
So how did 4 strangers make it into Estabrook Hall without a card key or ID? Rondell Bedward (who works for campus safety, signs them all in).

Rondell Bedward and Jesus Ortiz both adamantly deny having sexual intercourse with Danmell Ndonye. This means that Ndonye had sex with 3 of the men: Step brothers Stalin Felipe & Kevin Taveras, and Mystery Man #5, right? However, news sources are saying that Mystery Man #5 is the one who videotaped the whole thing. But then police reports state that ALL FIVE men had sexual contact with Ndonye. Was a rape kit done? What does the DNA say? Who is really lying? Did the police completely botch this? Is Hofstra embarassed that their dorms are so unsecure that four strangers can have such easy entrance (by being signed in by campus public safety officer Rondell Bedward, no less)?

Did Ndonye have sex with only the 2 step brothers? While Mystery Man #5 took video? And what of Ortiz and Bedward? They were, what...too moral and chivalrous to participate, but still sexually liberated and adventurous enough to watch? Or maybe Ndonye DID have sex with Mystery Man #5, and either Ortiz and Bedward took video with Mystery Man #5's cell phone. Maybe Ortiz and/or Bedward were standing guard at the bathroom door to make sure no one walked in.

You see what I'm saying? Too many holes, not enough facts, to call this girl a liar.

Again, why did Mystery Man #5 go into hiding even though he had the video that would "prove" his innocence? Maybe he wasn't so sure himself that what was on that tape was totally innocent. Legally, on a technicality, it proves all five are innocent. Lucky for them. But none of these morons are heroes or martyrs. If their lives are "ruined" from this, it's their own damn fault. They don't have any right to sue anybody, I'm not going to congratulate them, and I think they're lucky they're getting off scott free.

Furthermore, we've all seen pictures of these guys. Well, at least 4 of them. To put it bluntly...they're not exactly easy on the eyes:

I have a hard time believing that Ndonye found all four of them so unbelievably hot and sexy that she just had to have sex with all of them in 1 night. And even if that WERE true, I have a hard time believing that she would invite them to have sex with her in a bathroom stall...a men's bathroom stall...a men's bathroom stall on an all male floor in the dorm.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 AM

I think people really need to picture what is happening on college campuses. Imagine you have a daughter. She's 17 and just went through orientation at university.

She's away from home for the first time and feeling a bit insecure about fitting in. Meanwhile, the local frats are having meetings that are specifically geared to getting freshmen girls to their parties and getting them so hammered that they can have sex with them. Think it doesn't happen? Think again.

Your daughter goes to the party and sees a Junior or Senior guy that is cute. She's insecure and wants to fit in, so she maybe has a little too much to drink. This aided by the fact that the frat guy is putting peer pressure on her and feeding her drink after drink. She really doesn't want to have sex that night, but she is so blitzed that she goes to the guys room. She thought maybe they would make out, but it ends up being sex.

When she sobers up, she is hurting, confused, and she realizes she's been taken advantage of and raped. She's too ashamed to come forward...plus she doesn't want to make a name for herself on campus already. She just shuts up even though she was raped.

That's the reason this law is in place.

This happens ALL THE TIME on college campuses and elsewhere. It doesn't make it right, and I'm sure no one would want their daughter to go through this.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Do you think she deserves to be suspended from Hofstra? I vote yes.
Yes. Her ruinous lies have forever tarnished young men, and now Hofstra University has garnered national negative publicity. How many parents of the current crop of HS seniors would want their daughter considering Hofstra in light of this incident? The U is going to have so spend untold amounts of money to prove that it is a safe place for students.

If this girl has no problem carrying a terrible accusation as far as she did, what's to say she's not academically dishonest as well?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:08 AM

Seque5stra ^^^ Believe me, I don't feel sorry for these guys at all. They are a bunch of dirtbags. Another thing ... why does Hofstra allow alcohol in the dorms at all where underage people live? Parties should not be permitted, especially those where intoxicating substances are served and are available to people who live there who are underage. It is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island