U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Sound Beach
2,160 posts, read 7,100,577 times
Reputation: 889

Advertisements

So this morning I was behind a school bus slowing down to pick up a kid. It had the yellow flashing lights on (not yet red).

Some darwin candidate who was behind me swerved around and passed me and the bus over the double yellow line. I got his plate number.

Is it as bad a violation when the bus has yellow lights on as compared to red? I am wondering if it's worth a call to the police. I know they won't do anything for crossing the double yellow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2009, 08:35 AM
 
748 posts, read 2,703,112 times
Reputation: 141
A cop has to be present to actually witness a traffic violation. Traffic violations are not the same category as a crime, and a cop cannot act on your information alone. But you can still send in the plates so they can run a check to see if he is criminal.

Drivers in Long Island seem to have no patience for safety rules.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 AM
 
4,432 posts, read 7,656,246 times
Reputation: 3331
Actually it is legal to pass a school bus (going either direction) if the yellow lights are on. They're a warning light that very soon the bus will put on the red lights which is against the law to pass going in either direction.

And if you're wondering if you're on a divided highway, yes it is still illegal to pass when the red lights are on, even though people always do it and what parent is going to let a kid cross a divided highway to get to the bus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 AM
 
4,432 posts, read 7,656,246 times
Reputation: 3331
You could post the plate # on platewire.com.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 AM
 
1,377 posts, read 4,975,778 times
Reputation: 879
what they did IS illegal, you are not allowed to pass someone over a double yellow line.

However, it is legal to go by a bus with yellow lights, as long as your route is legal. For instance, if you're facing the bus and they have yellow lights on, you can drive by, or if its a 4 lane and they have yellow on, you don't have to stop, you can pass.

I don't think having yellow lights on gives people a free pass to do whatever, to avoid stopping.

As noted before red lights mean stop, which plenty of people don't seem to get either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 AM
 
4,432 posts, read 7,656,246 times
Reputation: 3331
The one thing that gets me is the parents who wait with their kids (nothing against that) let the kids get on and then proceed to have a 10 minute conversation with the bus driver. This can get the bus driver in trouble if they're not making their times.

Or the parents that get on the bus and start taking pictures of their kids on the bus.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 02:27 PM
 
270 posts, read 913,283 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
And if you're wondering if you're on a divided highway, yes it is still illegal to pass when the red lights are on, even though people always do it and what parent is going to let a kid cross a divided highway to get to the bus.
Just to clarify this further, drivers on the same side of the divided highway need to stop for the red flashing lights, but drivers on the opposite side are free to proceed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Dead end - Long Island,
999 posts, read 2,197,177 times
Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
So this morning I was behind a school bus slowing down to pick up a kid. It had the yellow flashing lights on (not yet red).

Some darwin candidate who was behind me swerved around and passed me and the bus over the double yellow line. I got his plate number.

Is it as bad a violation when the bus has yellow lights on as compared to red? I am wondering if it's worth a call to the police. I know they won't do anything for crossing the double yellow.

Can't blame the other vehicle for going around you....
I can't believe you even posted this....even more alarming you don't know the yellow light...

You should be more interested in why a school bus has a stop on such a road, putting kids in jeopardy...instead you are talking plate numbers of a vehicle going around you....

I just love the thought process, bus stops on corners...
Where do 99% of accidents happen......
Bus stops on highways...and other fast roadways...
You posted about a car passing....i guess the other issues are fine

School Busses shouldn't be stopping to pick kids up on corners, they should be at the middle of the block, nor should they be stopping on any highway...montauk, ocean, 112, 51, vets...ect
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 07:02 PM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
21,145 posts, read 31,816,142 times
Reputation: 17329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
Just to clarify this further, drivers on the same side of the divided highway need to stop for the red flashing lights, but drivers on the opposite side are free to proceed.
that's wrong, thebobs is right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_...ffic_stop_laws

Look about halfway down in the New York section where it addresses divided highways.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Sound Beach
2,160 posts, read 7,100,577 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Can't blame the other vehicle for going around you....
I can't believe you even posted this....even more alarming you don't know the yellow light...

You should be more interested in why a school bus has a stop on such a road, putting kids in jeopardy...instead you are talking plate numbers of a vehicle going around you....

I just love the thought process, bus stops on corners...
Where do 99% of accidents happen......
Bus stops on highways...and other fast roadways...
You posted about a car passing....i guess the other issues are fine

School Busses shouldn't be stopping to pick kids up on corners, they should be at the middle of the block, nor should they be stopping on any highway...montauk, ocean, 112, 51, vets...ect
I'll assume you were kidding...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top