Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are you, your wife and all the other people you know that you claim individually earn twice or more the median family income working as civil servants and getting paid by the taxpayers or are you in private industry, getting paid by a company that pays you out of PROFITS, not taxpayers? If the latter, then yeah, nothing wrong with it.
As far as what we and the people I know do to earn those salaries some are civil servants, some private industry and some of us are contractors working for the state or federal government (close to DC and VA capital).

Quote:
Boy things must be booming down in the hills of ol' Virginia, although you can claim anything you want on the internet. Judging from your history of posts on here nobody would believe it anyway in the case of YOU and YOUR WIFE.
Whoa, you have to follow your own questions and statements! Let's be clear, I said that both my wife and I are each making a middle class family income. Each one of our salaries would put us square into the median income per household for the Island, and above the median for our area. If you take both salaries then you could say we make twice the median income per household.

Booming they were, and we did very, very well during those years. We applied our Islander drive and frugality, and got ahead. Low taxes, reasonably priced housing and good jobs also helped. There's been a downturn of late but we're still making above the median income for the area and are still in line for the median income for the Island. Hope that clarifies things for you.

BTW, It's OK to disbelieve, but it doesn't change reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 11:01 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrisle View Post
People's perception of LI's income appears to be far off. The census bureau had median income for 2007 at $89,872 for Nassau and $83,447 for Suffolk. Newsday shows the average wage for LIers as $49,101.
Median means the middle number that separates the higher half of the range from the lower half.

The average (mean), the way most people think of it is take list of numbers, take the sum of all of the list, and then divide by the number of items in the list.

The mode is the number that occurs most often.

So all the numbers you quoted could be true.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
As far as what we and the people I know do to earn those salaries some are civil servants, some private industry and some of us are contractors working for the state or federal government (close to DC and VA capital).
How long of a commute and how expensive to DC? My firm has a big office in DC. You, me and BigMike could be neighbors! What a crew that would be!

If Nassau institutes an income tax, that will get me moving out of here.

I don't believe they will give up the high property taxes in exchange for an income tax. They may try and fool us for awhile by lowering them, but pretty soon they will be high again, plus we would have an income tax on top of it.

Never forget the lesson of the transfer of LILCO to LIPA (private company vs. so-called non-profit company). It looked like it would be cheaper in the beginning, but now we are right back where we started, still among the highest electric rates in the country (if not the highest).

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 09-26-2009 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-26-2009, 12:24 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
How long of a commute and how expensive to DC? My firm has a big office in DC. You, me and BigMike could be neighbors! What a crew that would be!

If Nassau institutes an income tax, that will get me moving out of here.

I don't believe they will give up the high property taxes in exchange for an income tax. They may try and fool us for awhile by lowering them, but pretty soon they will be high again, plus we would have an income tax on top of it.

Never forget the lesson of the transfer of LILCO to LIPA (private company vs. so-called non-profit company). It looked like it would be cheaper in the beginning, but now we are right back where we started, still among the highest electric rates in the country (if not the highest).

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/nerd.gif (broken link) I was wondering why my ears have been buzzing today http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/nerd.gif (broken link)
We would make good neighbors, but what would we complain about

Old 09-26-2009, 06:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I was wondering why my ears have been buzzing today
We would make good neighbors, but what would we complain about
Bagels, pizza, italian food, chinese food, etc., etc., not as good as on LI or in NYC.

Slow drivers.

Traffic in and around D.C.

Locals who don't like yankees ... easy to spot sometimes, for example a bumper sticker on a pickup truck that says, "Clean up the south. Put a Yankee on a bus!" (Yes, I actually saw this bumper sticker!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island