Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:25 PM

39 posts, read 142,567 times

Advertisements

Truthfully, it really depends on how much money he will make. You can't say where a good place to raise a family without money being a factor. A nice place to live for $90,000 and a nice place for $200,000+ are totlly different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 09:42 AM

17 posts, read 98,928 times
My husband suggested that I respond to you, as I was born and raised on Long Island and then moved to Indianapolis when I was 21 and lived there for 5 years. So, I have experience with both areas.

The people and lifestyle is very different from one area to the other, therefore you really need to decide what factors are most important to you. The cost of living is extremly high, not just the housing prices, but the property taxes as well. My parents property taxes were only about $5000 when they first had their home built and today are hovering at $30,000. However, they purchased their home for $150,000 and today, 28 years later, the home is worth about $1,800,000. A pretty good investment.

Most of your taxes go towards the school system. The schools are highly rated and have extremly high graduation rates and excellent music/arts programs. The extracuricular activities are also wonderful. In the right area, there is very little in the way of gangs, and bad kids, but drugs do exist. Mostly to the very rich kids, because they have nothing else to do with their money. Clothes, cars and material possessions are very important to students/families and if you don't have the money to keep your children in style, you may want to rethink the move, because they will be outcasts.

There is much to do on a daily basis. Lots of cultural events and things to keep children busy, therefore keeping them out of trouble. Teen pregnancy and drop outs are of very little concern and your children with most definitely get to go to a fantastic college with the education they are getting.

People are not nearly as snobby as they are made out to be once you get to know them. It is a different general attitude and once you get used to it, it really won't bother you at all. My mother grew up on a farm in Indiana and moved to L.I. when she met my father at Purdue and she loves it there. She would never move back to Indiana. On the other hand, my husband who was raised in Indianapolis, would never consider moving to L.I. He hates the traffic, and density of people.

The statement made in a previous post regarding the South shore vs. the north was extremly inaccurate. The North shore is a beautiful area and just because it is more expensive to live there, doesn't mean that people are snobby. There is a rivalry between the North and South shore that has existed as long as I can remember. The people from the North Shore saying the people from the South are low class and the people from the South saying the North is snobby. The real facts are as follows: It is the same as people from Carmel saying that people from Greenwood live in a crummy area and are low class. They are 2 different areas of income and therefore are going to be perceived differently.

As for myself, I have always loved L.I. and wouldn't mind returning, but it isn't for everyone.

I am more than happy to answer any specific questions that you may have. The more detail you can give as to what you are looking for in your home base, the better answers I can give you. I hope this has helped. Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:13 PM

64 posts, read 280,247 times
Default Ny/Indiana

Thanks for that info I enjoyed reading it I felt like I understood now. The main concern I have is we moved to Indianapolis from Virginia(close to D.C.) and there was just no way to buy a house except on interest only loans(which we are not going to do).My husband and I are just looking at areas on the internet and as we know they might be different when we get there. He will be working in Medford(any suggestions on this area?) I just want to make sure we will be able to give our small kids a place to play like they have now.
If you can suggest some areas we should look for housing in I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Old 05-07-2007, 07:34 AM

17 posts, read 98,928 times
I would suggest Miller Place and Setauket. Stonybrook and Port Jefferson are nice, but will cost a little more. A little further out on the Island is Shoreham (which is up and coming) and Baiting Hollow. It does depend on the commute your husband is willing to drive. I would stay away from the Riverhead school district. There are many more nice areas, but the price will go continue to rise. I don't know what price range you are looking for, but you do want pay close attention to property taxes.

You can go to web sites like schoolmatters.com to review test scores of different school districts. My husband and I have a 4 year old and are looking to move to an area with better schools. It is a lot of work. I don't know how old your children are, but you might want to note that the cut off date for entering school is different in N.Y. than in IN. The date is November 30th.

You can look online for homes at places like realtor.com, but FYI, some homes are not on the MLS. There are a lot of exclusive listing realtors on L.I. and you may want to do a realtor search of the area if you don't find what you are looking for. I would also start with a lower offer on a home than you would submit for a house in IN. People list there houses much higher to start and may be willing to take less than you think. Start low and go through the counter offer process rather than starting high for an easy acceptance if you want to best deal. Some say that your first offer should be 20% below asking price.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island