Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 AM

42 posts, read 143,440 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people posting & complaining about the high property taxes on LI. I've lived here all my life and a few years ago I was considering relocating to escape the high cost of living. I work in Manhattan so I looked for areas within an hour form the city. What I found was the following. Westchester has higher taxes, Rockland County higher, Orange county the same, NJ the same, CT the same or slightly lower. These were homes comparable to what I have now. 4 bedroom Col. on 1 acre Taxes $13,350.00. It seems that at one time we did have higher taxes but now the surrounding areas have caught up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 AM
BCW

84 posts, read 282,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzfish View Post
I see a lot of people posting & complaining about the high property taxes on LI. I've lived here all my life and a few years ago I was considering relocating to escape the high cost of living. I work in Manhattan so I looked for areas within an hour form the city. What I found was the following. Westchester has higher taxes, Rockland County higher, Orange county the same, NJ the same, CT the same or slightly lower. These were homes comparable to what I have now. 4 bedroom Col. on 1 acre Taxes $13,350.00. It seems that at one time we did have higher taxes but now the surrounding areas have caught up.
Well, yes...the designation is dependent on what/where you're comparing it to. Compared to other high tax areas LI doesn't have high taxes. Compared to a national avg. it does have high taxes. Its all relative.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Exactly and the reason for it is it's close proximity to Manhattan where people can earn an above average wage.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,928,414 times
Quote:
Wait, your're just figuring out that when you live in a suburb outside of NYC ( or even a different state within a 60 mile radius) your going to pay more in taxes Thanks for that info

Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 AM

I'm just pointing out that when you compare apples to apples LI taxes are comparable to the surrounding tri-state areas. If you can relocate to another part of the country and retain your current salary of course you will be able to live better (excluding leaving family and friends). Most people simply can't find a Job earning what they earn here in the areas of the country with low cost housing. That is why it's cheaper there to begin with.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 AM

1,917 posts, read 7,075,374 times
I think you make some valid points. People are quick to bash LI but all the surrounding areas are no better tax wise. You may just get a bit more for your $ in NJ though, thats all.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 AM

5,075 posts, read 9,096,220 times
Quote:
Exactly and the reason for it is it's close proximity to Manhattan where people can earn an above average wage.
That is eaten up by above average costs for many essentials.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,321,131 times
Having to pay $12,000 for a half-acre in Manorville seems high to me.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:58 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,084,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Having to pay $12,000 for a half-acre in Manorville seems high to me.
Thats about right.

Its prolly a bit more in Dix Hills.

Similar housing stock, but more rural.
Larger plots on LI come at a premium.As well they should.

I think we leave tax money on the table with our Waterfronts.
We should be collecting much much more there.
(Like a 2-3x premium)

Crooks

Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,321,131 times
Wow, never thought i'd see the day where people think the high taxes they pay are "OK".
You poeple are obviously insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island