Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times

Advertisements

My husband and I both grew up in Nassau County where everyone has sewers. We plan on moving to Suffolk County and I know most towns in Suffolk do not have sewers. Can you please tell me what you should not do when you have a cesspool? I know not to throw any grease down the drain as I don't do that while living having sewers.

Also, is a septic system different than a cesspool? Is there anything we should do to maintain our cesspool? Is Rid-X okay to use for this?

Also, as far as flushing the toilet, does it matter how many times, etc.? What are contributing factors that would make the cesspool not last or need to be emptied out, e.g. how long of a shower one takes, what about the Cottonelle wipes they sell in the stores?

Any information would be very helpful as I am clueless with cesspools. I've only heard horror stories of them caving in. Is this common?

Thanks for any info you can supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:36 PM

638 posts, read 1,282,107 times
"Please tell me what you should not do when you have a cesspool"

Park your car on it!

Seriously, I've never given it a thought. We've had it pumped out maybe 3 times in 30 years.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
"Please tell me what you should not do when you have a cesspool"

Park your car on it!

Seriously, I've never given it a thought. We've had it pumped out maybe 3 times in 30 years.
Without affecting your yard / grass etc ?

Old 09-29-2009, 08:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
We also moved from all sewer to septic. I probably freaked out about it more then necessary.

It probably helps to just not put anything down there not completely degradable. For example...we did not know baby wipes do not break down and can clog the baffles in a septic system. Who knew. You can buy biodegradable ones, but you have to look for them.

I also understand that adding a packet or two of yeast down the drain every few months helps keep things moving.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 PM

81 posts, read 134,146 times
Definitely don't swim in it.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times
lol suffolk guy... you're funny

but i try to limit the amount of water we use, so i'm always banging on the bathroom door when showers go over 10 minutes... we also have the washing machine the goes to its own drywell

Old 09-29-2009, 08:46 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Do NOT flush anything excpet toiletpaper, preferably Scott tissue. No matter whether the packaging says biodegradable, flushable...don't do it.

I grew up in a house with a cesspool. Don't put a swingset over it...my parents collapsed one day, right where my nieces and nephews had been playing days before. Yikes.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 PM

81 posts, read 134,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
lol suffolk guy... you're funny

but i try to limit the amount of water we use, so i'm always banging on the bathroom door when showers go over 10 minutes... we also have the washing machine the goes to its own drywell

My washing machine usually goes to the kitchen to make me a sandwich.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGuy View Post
My washing machine usually goes to the kitchen to make me a sandwich.
mine must be broke

Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
Is a septic system the same as a cesspool? I'm sorry to sound so naive but like I said, I've had sewers all my life. Maybe I'm being over neurotic with worrying about what can and cannot go down the drain when having a cesspool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island