Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 PM

339 posts, read 933,534 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a small pickup truck, maybe a Tacoma. I've been going back and forth on a 4x4 vs a 4x2. The 4x4 is more money, less gas mileage. I don't tow anything and don't off road, so I would be getting a 4x4 for just the snowy months here. I'm leaning towards a 4x2 due to cost considerations. Anyone here regret getting a 4x2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:01 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
I'm looking to buy a small pickup truck, maybe a Tacoma. I've been going back and forth on a 4x4 vs a 4x2. The 4x4 is more money, less gas mileage. I don't tow anything and don't off road, so I would be getting a 4x4 for just the snowy months here. I'm leaning towards a 4x2 due to cost considerations. Anyone here regret getting a 4x2?
Since it is rear wheel drive in 4x2 mode, I would get a 4x4 for not only the snow, but the rain too. Yes I use 4 wheel drive in rain due to the asphalt they use nowadays. Whenever it rains, oils in the asphalt seep up to the surface and make it very slippery. Having 4 wheel drive helps a lot more than rear wheel drive. Mind you I am not doing 90 on these roads and I know that 4 wheel drive does not make one invincible.

By the way, I don't tow anything either and I don't go off-road unless you count the roads that are ripped up before they're repaved.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:02 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
By the way, for Long Island, front wheel drive is just fine. You have more control with the car with that and 4 wheel drive than you do with rear wheel drive.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:18 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post

You dont need a 4x4 but RWD trucks suck in the snow (no weight in the rear)

If get something with FWD or a car with RWD and traction.

Crooks

Old 10-01-2009, 03:31 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Agree at least FWD if not 4WD in LI snow. 4x2 won't work too well if it's anything but light snow. Had my mom get a 4matic instead of a RWD C300, just picked it up yesterday.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:50 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times
PUs with 2wd are pretty bad in snow or rain.

Not sure about PUs, but a lot of SUVs are hard to find in 2wd in NY, as they'll ship only the 4wds here.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
You dont need a 4x4 but RWD trucks suck in the snow (no weight in the rear)

Crooks
I was gonna throw some sandbags in the bed in the winter and take them out when it warms up to make up for the lack of weight in the rear.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Since it is rear wheel drive in 4x2 mode, I would get a 4x4 for not only the snow, but the rain too. Yes I use 4 wheel drive in rain due to the asphalt they use nowadays. Whenever it rains, oils in the asphalt seep up to the surface and make it very slippery. Having 4 wheel drive helps a lot more than rear wheel drive. Mind you I am not doing 90 on these roads and I know that 4 wheel drive does not make one invincible.

By the way, I don't tow anything either and I don't go off-road unless you count the roads that are ripped up before they're repaved.
If you're driving around in the rain in a car/truck with part-time 4WD, you're probably really messing it up as the axles would bind like crazy - even though the roads are "slippery" there is still (for the most part) enough traction to do serious damage, especially on tight turns.

Full-time 4WD systems utilize some type of viscious coupling at the center differential to allow free play to the front axle. Most vehicles are either part-time or full-time (more commonly called AWD), and some have both - but it isn't as common.

I think the Toyota trucks are ONLY part-time 4WD. Better for getting un-stuck in tight situations and off roading, but not practically usable in 99% of real world driving. The only exception is having a foot of snow on the ground but how much snow do we really get?

I drive an old ass Jeep Cherokee that has a dual part & full time transfer case, which is nice...but even then, it stays in 2HI over 90% of the time. I do tow/haul stuff around and blast around the beaches though!! Otherwise I would just buy a normal car.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 PM

57 posts, read 178,708 times
Had a 2 wheel drive Maza P/U wouldn't move in the snow. Better resale on 4x4

Old 10-01-2009, 07:19 PM

This thread might be moot anyway since I'm still up in the air about my new car purchase. Now looking at a Honda Accord Coupe.

Thanks for the input though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: