Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:22 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yeah, great place for kids. All that culture. Just don't get in the cross fire and you will be fine.
OK. You have obviously never been to NYC, or haven't been in the past 30 years. NYC is one of the the safest large cities in the world... far safer than your nearest city of Tampa.

Tampa, FL: 8 murders per 100k
NYC: 6.3 murders per 100k

Tampa, FL: 24.6 rapes per 100k
NYC: 10.7 rapes per 100k

Tampa, FL: 313 robberies per 100k
NYC: 265.9 robberies per 100k

Overall Crime Rate (national average: 320.9)
Tampa: 478.4
NYC: 245.3

Have fun living in your little bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 02:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Something a LI to Florida transplant told me that I will never forget:

"Florida is the land of the 'f' ups. If you can't make it anywhere else, you eventually end up in Florida." (Note: he included himself in that evaluation.)

That is why Florida has so much crime. Too many transients and losers. Even Ted Bundy ended up there (caught in Pensacola). It's easy to be a bum somewhere it never gets cold and you can sleep on the beach.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
That is why I don't/won't live in Tampa. Well, for other reasons too.

Actually I was there twice in October. I must say the city's subway system has improved greatly from when I left 22 years ago. Though I have been back numerous times on business and pleasure, the Southern State traffic surely has'nt changed. Love those tolls too on the bridges.
The property taxes that I was told people are paying blew me away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
OK. You have obviously never been to NYC, or haven't been in the past 30 years. NYC is one of the the safest large cities in the world... far safer than your nearest city of Tampa.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 PM

By the way, we are talking about Long Island, not the city.

Quote:

Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That is why I don't/won't live in Tampa. Well, for other reasons too.

Actually I was there twice in October. I must say the city's subway system has improved greatly from when I left 22 years ago. Though I have been back numerous times on business and pleasure, the Southern State traffic surely has'nt changed. Love those tolls too on the bridges.
The property taxes that I was told people are paying blew me away.
There are traffic and tolls, but LI and NYC have some of the lowest crime rates in the country. You're at no more risk of getting "caught in the crossfire" in NYC than you are in your town in FL. Probably less risk. Scoff all you want at the culture, you can't beat it... Unless you consider culture hanging out at a Walmart on a Saturday.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:52 PM

I agree. Lots of screwballs down here.

Crime is what it is. Miami is a high crime city, Orlando, Daytona Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Something a LI to Florida transplant told me that I will never forget:

"Florida is the land of the 'f' ups. If you can't make it anywhere else, you eventually end up in Florida." (Note: he included himself in that evaluation.)

That is why Florida has so much crime. Too many transients and losers. Even Ted Bundy ended up there (caught in Pensacola). It's easy to be a bum somewhere it never gets cold and you can sleep on the beach.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
There are traffic and tolls, but LI and NYC have some of the lowest crime rates in the country. You're at no more risk of getting "caught in the crossfire" in NYC than you are in your town in FL. Probably less risk. Scoff all you want at the culture, you can't beat it... Unless you consider culture hanging out at a Walmart on a Saturday.

I lived in Brooklyn, NYC from 1957 to 1988. You don't have to tell me about the "culture". As far as "cross fire" I guess if you stay out of bed sty and some other choice areas the odds diminish. Here at least you can pull a legal gun and defend yourself in your home or on the street.

Florida has many positive attributes. New York metro area does'nt have the quality of life I need to survive.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
The question of NY or Florida is purely one of opinion. I lived in Florida when I was in kindergarten and my parents moved back to NY when I was in first grade. I lived there again when I was 17-18 and then moved back to NY. I hated Florida. If you do not mind severe heat and humidity, sudden three minute downpours, back to severe heat again it is fine. I, personally, can't stand the heat and humidity. I was there when I was young but I found it to be quite boring. If you do not use the beaches (they were way too hot for me) you tend to be bored at a young age. I spent more time indoors in Florida then I ever had in my life since the air conditioning was my best friend. I also remember leaving to go to work with a jacket in the winter and coming home sweating, holding the jacket over my shoulder. For people who do not mind that type of climate it would be fine. Any area in this country has good, low crime areas and bad, high crime areas. Both areas can be found in NY and Florida so the whole "where is safer" debate should really be a non-issue. Just find out about the specific areas you are looking to go to before going there.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:35 AM

14 posts, read 23,390 times
Unhappy Miss Long Island

I lived on Long Island all my life until 4 years ago when my husband and I retired. My daughter, fiance and grandson came with us. It is beautiful where we are (Tampa Bay area), taxes are low, school district is good and we have a large house with pool that we would never be able to afford up north. However, even though we have some friends here, most of my friends and all our families live on Long Island. I miss them terribly. I have other children up there and when more grandchildren come I will really be sad and feel like I am missing out on so much. Flying up for the holidays involves huge expenses as we need two hotel rooms, rent a car, plane fare, etc. boarding our pets. For five people this runs several thousand dollars. I miss October drives to the East End to see the leaves change color, Thanksgiving with my family, and other events like birthdays, mother's day, that I do not get to see anyone. Going back and forth costs so much I would rather just have the higher expenses and live up there. My husband and I would still come down to Florida for Jan, Feb, and March to avoid winter. My daughter and fiance want to back up north as well. So my point is this: both places have their pros and cons regarding expenses and weather, and I love both of them for those reasons, but I would rather my primary residence be on Long Island because family is more important to me than anything else.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:08 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I would rather be a bag lady on LI than live in a mansion in Florida.
This.

I'd rather be a pauper on LI than rich anywhere else in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island