Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:57 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzfish View Post
The food is also great and on par with the New York metro area.
Good quote on life around the Windy City. My wife grew up in La Grange IL and would take LI any day for many of the same reasons you list.

I got a kick out of the food quote though...because the "deep dish" vs. "NY style" pizza battle rages on in our home!

I do crave an italian beef with sausage (wet combo??) every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:24 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Um, but you weren't comparing upstate NY to LI, you were butting in on my comparision of LI to NC, a state you have never LIVED in, but seemed to think you are a expert in because you have visited (all over, every corner of the state). LOL too funny.

Whatever, it seems like you have some issues. You managed to live in upstate NY for 4 years, how did you ever manage? How did you ever leave LI? Seems like its ok for you to give another area a try, but nobody else should.
Ummm I actually went to school up there. I was doing myself some good and getting educated, which is more than I can say for a lot of other people.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
For us, yes, its pretty much the only negative. We love living in NC.
If you're going to be that unrealistic about the negatives, it's hard to take you seriously on the positives. People can convince themselves of anything. Let us know when you're ready for a discussion based in reality.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:23 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
If you're going to be that unrealistic about the negatives, it's hard to take you seriously on the positives. People can convince themselves of anything. Let us know when you're ready for a discussion based in reality.
Why do I need to have a ton of negatives?
Maybe you should tell me the negatives that I should be having, because apparently I am missing something.

We are happy, low taxes, lovely home, tons of friends, hubby has a good job, good weather, good schools.

Trying to figured out what I need to be negative about.
Maybe the occasional ice storm?
If I had a lot of negatives I wouldn't be living here.

I had a ton of negatives when I lived in LI and I did something about it, I moved

Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Ummm I actually went to school up there. I was doing myself some good and getting educated, which is more than I can say for a lot of other people.

OH, I see, only if you have a good reason like getting a education is it ok to leave LI, but things like a better job opportunity, lower cost of living and better weather are not?

I guess its only what you deem as "good reasons".

Thanks for the comedy.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
OH, I see, only if you have a good reason like getting a education is it ok to leave LI, but things like a better job opportunity, lower cost of living and better weather are not?

I guess its only what you deem as "good reasons".

Thanks for the comedy.
better job opportunities in NC, really? have you been to NYC recently? It employs a ton of more people than places in NC...not to mention, again, certain jobs just can't be found. In addition, wayyy more money to be made in NY.

better weather really? When was the last time LI got hit with a big hurricane? They happen far more frequently in that part of the country. And personally for me, NC is too hot for my liking.

Who ever said leaving LI for an education is the only reason? I said that's what *I* did. I would never ever leave LI for any other reason. Looooove how you are putting words in my mouth.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
better job opportunities in NC, really? have you been to NYC recently? It employs a ton of more people than places in NC...not to mention, again, certain jobs just can't be found. In addition, wayyy more money to be made in NY.

better weather really? When was the last time LI got hit with a big hurricane? They happen far more frequently in that part of the country. And personally for me, NC is too hot for my liking.

Who ever said leaving LI for an education is the only reason? I said that's what *I* did. I would never ever leave LI for any other reason. Looooove how you are putting words in my mouth.

LOL whatever you say....

Old 10-07-2009, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,604 times
I have lived all over the US...north, east, south, and west. I can say that LI is the absolute worst!! I came here with an open mind, looking forward to enjoying a new culture, exposing my children to a new community, etc. I thought that NY would be a place of acceptance for all. Instead, I have found LI (and NY in general) to be the most prejudiced place in the US. My family has friends from all over the world, from every different culture you can imagine but after moving to LI my kids are coming home from school repeating racist jokes learned from the children here. The people in our community (Garden City) have really put a hole in my heart about what community is supposed to be about. I can't wait to leave this place.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:27 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,578 times
Quote:
Why do I need to have a ton of negatives? :confused:
Maybe you should tell me the negatives that I should be having, because apparently I am missing something.

We are happy, low taxes, lovely home, tons of friends, hubby has a good job, good weather, good schools.

Trying to figured out what I need to be negative about.
Maybe the occasional ice storm?
If I had a lot of negatives I wouldn't be living here.

I had a ton of negatives when I lived in LI and I did something about it, I moved
I too live in Cary. The schools aren't as good as you seem to have convinced yourself that they are. The summers are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long. Taxes are rising all the time. The state income tax here is ridiculous. There is a sales tax (7.75%) on everything, including food and clothes.
Aside from rent/mortgage payments NC isn't any cheaper than LI. And the quality of life is much better up north.
Oh, and by the way, people here in NC are the rudest (is that a word?) people I have ever been around. I mean the natives, with their "yankee this and yankee that" bs!!!!
I live in NC but will come back home as soon as I can.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I too live in Cary. The schools aren't as good as you seem to have convinced yourself that they are. The summers are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long. Taxes are rising all the time. The state income tax here is ridiculous. There is a sales tax (7.75%) on everything, including food and clothes.
Aside from rent/mortgage payments NC isn't any cheaper than LI. And the quality of life is much better up north.
Oh, and by the way, people here in NC are the rudest (is that a word?) people I have ever been around. I mean the natives, with their "yankee this and yankee that" bs!!!!
I live in NC but will come back home as soon as I can.

We like it here and have no complaints, we did our research before moving and visited many times and knew what to expect.

You should look for a area with low property taxes that never go up, best schools in the country, beautiful comfortable weather all the time, no state income taxes, no sales tax, affordable housing and all the people accept others with no prejudice.
Please let me know when you find a place with all these things, because that would be truly wonderful.
I don't think moving back to LI will meet all those requirements.
Best of luck though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island